Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-30-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Putting on car cover alone, possible scratches.

How many of you guys use the car cover regularly? When I bought the car cover I had every intention of covering the car after every use. The problem is that you have to wait for the car to cool down and I rarely have anyone around to help me put the cover on. I start from the front but it is a real pain trying to keep the cover from coming off while I try to stretch it to the back of the car. Does anyone have any tips on how to put the cover on alone?

Yesterday I noticed some small scratches on the top of the front and rear fenders. They came out with some wax so it's not a big deal but I think they were caused by the cover when I pull it down snug on the corners. For those of you that use the cover you may want to be extra careful when putting it on and taking it off. Also make sure you don't pick up any grit or small stones in the cover because they will scratch the paint for sure.

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
Blue Demon

Drives: 2006 Corvette
Practice, practice, practice!! I can put on or take off the cover for our Corvette in less than one minute. Try rolling it up as tight as possible when taking it off. Then to install it unroll it from front to back (or back to front) and start installing at one corner. Then go to the opposite corner and install it. Now you have two corners installed and the remaining two will be a piece of cake.
Blue Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Garage, garage, garage.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
OHIOSS
Russ

Blue Demon- I tried rolling the cover up, putting both front corners on and then rolling it towards the back. No luck as one of the corners pulled up and the cover slid off the side of the car.

I will keep practicing but hopefully someone has another suggestion that may help me. I was thinking of putting something heavy on the cover to keep it from sliding off of the car while I stretch it out, but I am very paronoid about putting anything on the car.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
Tecca

Drives: ...
.;;;

Last edited by Tecca; 07-02-2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: ,,,
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:02 PM   #6
OHIOSS
Russ

Thanks IRPQ but I do keep the car in the garage, with the cover on it. My next door neighbor has 5 kids and they are always at my house because they swim in my pool. One of the kids has damaged my Yukon and my Charger, I cover my Camaro to keep this from happening. I am gone a lot so I can't keep them out of my garage all the time.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:02 PM   #7
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
It's probably just a cat using it's new bed and night observation point.

Cat's have cause lot of damage to my cars over the years.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:03 PM   #8
Blue Demon

Drives: 2006 Corvette
I should have said install one corner front or rear then go to the opposite corner front or rear, that will keep the cover tight. Then do the mirrors next. Works for me.
Blue Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:07 PM   #9
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
I actually read the directions for once.... And it worked well.

Drop it across the front windshield and hook up the mirrors to get you lined up.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:10 PM   #10
OHIOSS
Russ

I didn't even see any install directions, I assumed it was a no brainer and there would not be any instructions.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:13 PM   #11
HuJass

Drives: GM
When taking mine off, I start by undoing the corners of the cover, then I fold the sides up onto the roof, then I roll the back up to the center of the roof, and then roll the front to the center of the roof. I then lift it straight off the car and put it in the house.
When I return, I dust the car off with the California Duster. If the dust is kinda heavy, I will detail spray the whole car.
I grab the cover, set it on the center of the roof, roll the front out, roll the back out, fold the sides out, hook the cover by it's mirror pockets on the side view mirrors, then walk around the car hooking each corner.
I've never noticed any scratches in any of my cars from the use of a cover. But you MUST only install them on a clean and dust free car. And you shouldn't be dragging them over the paint.
And it probably helps to have a good cover. I like the custom fit Evolution 4 ones. Yeah, they're pricey, but they're real nice (and soft). They do a nice job of keeping the dust out. Some of the cheaper covers let dust thru, and that's not a good thing.
HuJass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:16 PM   #12
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Hunsaker View Post
I didn't even see any install directions, I assumed it was a no brainer and there would not be any instructions.
I normally don't see them either... but I was wondering what the plastic O-ring was in the bag. Instructions were also in the bag and told how to install the ring in the cover for external antennas... and I accidentally read the install stuff too.

You know... when it's dark outside and you're sitting around still excited about your new car and just start reading random stuff... pure accident...
Old 06-30-2009, 09:20 PM   #13
shockandawe

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
If I had to cover the car everytime I got done driving it,I wouldn't have bought it! To much of a pain in the ass.
shockandawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:45 PM   #14
OHIOSS
Russ

I don't drive the car every day, it's not my daily driver. I also don't cover it up everytime I put it in the garage. If I can get a technique to putting the cover on by myself it should only take about 2 minutes so it's not a big deal.

Russ