Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-29-2008, 08:16 AM   #15
CUPRA

Drives: '21 Bronco OBX/'18 Jeep GC Altitude
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
V8 R/T?

am I missing something?...
did chevy take R/T off dodge?...
what is this "R/T"? ...
Sorry, my bad, I told you I was new to the US and to American cars! I was in the Dodge dealer on Sunday looking at the Challenger as well so I simply mixed the two - sorry about that.

Lesson learnt! I've changed it in my post.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!
I guess I shouldn't worry about getting a V6 then, phew!

I love how the Challenger looks on the outside, but the inside is pure 'everything else in the Dodge line up'. The Camaro's interior looks so much better than the Challenger, and being as I sit there to drive, the Camaro wins hands down.
CUPRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:24 AM   #16
RSHugger

Drives: 1969 RS Camaro
The 80's kind of killed the V6 stigma with the Buick GN/GNX and the GMC Syclone/Typhoon... something to be said of having the fastest production ride in the world (wasn't that their claim back then?). Sure you will have your dog V6's just as you would with any V8. Your wallet can open all sorts of possibilities..
RSHugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:42 AM   #17
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Buy what you like. What others think isn't important.

From the time I got my '02 Camaro Coupe I heard constantly that it 'wasn't a REAL Camaro'. One co-worker even called it a 'Ca' all the time because it wasn't a full Camaro.

I didn't care, I'd laugh at their sillyness.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:43 AM   #18
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
yeah,the v6 in this one will be much much better , just ask the 1982 camaro owners with the 2.8 v6
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:35 AM   #19
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSHugger View Post
The 80's kind of killed the V6 stigma with the Buick GN/GNX and the GMC Syclone/Typhoon... something to be said of having the fastest production ride in the world (wasn't that their claim back then?). Sure you will have your dog V6's just as you would with any V8. Your wallet can open all sorts of possibilities..
Ehhhh....no. Those were both turbo applications and are a far cry from an N/A V6.

And I can speak for the Sy/Ty that it was the fastest production truck ever until the SC 5.4L Lightning hit the streets several years later.

As far as the original topic goes, hell yeah there was a stigma. Big time. The housewives and old folks had their little V6 and the rest of us enthusiasts got the real Camaro....but like others have already said with the amazing effort going into the 5th gen LS and LT, I'm not personally feeling it anymore. The V6 is really going to be a fun car to drive in all aspects and I think they will demand the respect of everything in it's price range, especially the next tier Mustangs.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:37 AM   #20
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
If there are people still holding a stigma...then they haven't gotten the memo.

Don't let anyone influence your purchase because they claim that "A V6 Camaro isn't a real Camaro", an "automatic isn't a real transmission", or "Cloth seats are fake seats" (yep, I've heard that one before)...Buy what YOU want, then promptly school the naysayers. Teach them a lesson about V6 Camaros.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:43 AM   #21
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUPRA View Post

I know there are people who will say 'you can never have enough power' or 'a true Muscle Car should be a V8. However, the projected 27mpg and 304bhp out of the V6 seems decent enough...

Discuss...?
Welcome to the USA and the forum
It's not all about the horsepower, even with the V6 you won't be full throttle very often. To me it's more about WANTING to drive your car, not having to drive it. No matter what you get someone will have a faster car, and that's cool, shake his hand and make a friend, even if he does drive a moostang on steroids. :seesaw:

Drive your car easy, keep on top of the maintenance, and in 20 years most everyone will tell you that's a nice old car you have there, no matter what motor.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:44 AM   #22
4thGen

Drives: 2005 Chevrolet Cobalt LS
When I got my V6, I was 18, and I did have enough money to buy a Z28 myself, but the one thing my parents wanted to do for me was buy me a car. They didn't want me to have a V8 though. So it was either get a free V6 or pay for a V8 in full. Plus, insurance would have been a lot higher. My parents saved me a lot of money in buying me this car so I don't sweat having a V6. Actually, I don't sweat anything really since I don't give a shit what others think. If I like something, I like it. I don't like getting caught up in high school peer pressure nonsense.

This new V6 Camaro is looking good though and 300hp out of a V6 is no joke. 40hp from an intake and exhaust without headers isn't too shabby either. Pretty good power to weight ratio and weight distribution. Mustang GT's beware.
4thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:51 AM   #23
CUPRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Welcome to the USA and the forum
It's not all about the horsepower, even with the V6 you won't be full throttle very often. To me it's more about WANTING to drive your car, not having to drive it. No matter what you get someone will have a faster car, and that's cool, shake his hand and make a friend, even if he does drive a moostang on steroids. :seesaw:
Thanks! I appreciate it!

<-- I know about driving for fun, our MX5 GT only has 166bhp but that thing is quick, nimble and fun. The Si only has 197bhp and you have to drive it to every one of it's 8250 redline for the power, but it's fun and quick too. The MX5 is my wife's the Si is mine.

I'll be interested to find out what the performance specs are when officially available (us Europeans are obsessed with 0-60 times, not bhp for some reason! - BBC Top Gear anyone??!)...
Old 07-29-2008, 09:58 AM   #24
rgrizzard

Drives: Wanting New Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUPRA View Post
I am relatively new to the US, and even newer to American 'Muscle Cars', being born and bred in Scotland. Moved here a little over 5 years ago.. always had European/Japanese cars.

So my question is this... my budget is probably only going to allow me to stretch to an LT with the RS package...

Is there a stigma attached to having a V6 RS Camaro vs the base V8 or SS version?

I know there are people who will say 'you can never have enough power' or 'a true Muscle Car should be a V8. However, the projected 27mpg and 304bhp out of the V6 seems decent enough...

Discuss...?
Let me put it in terms you would get...

Getting a V6 in a muscle car is like ordering a blended Scotch when the single is sitting on the shelf. If the blended is fine and you don't care or recognize the difference then go for it. But if you feel that single(V8) calling you, you have to go for it!!!
rgrizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:09 AM   #25
CUPRA

^^^

LOL nice analogy!
Old 07-29-2008, 11:47 AM   #26
Beelzebubba
cheap plastic member

Drives: Mazda6s
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
buy whatever your budget can afford. if that's what you can buy then get it. . .now aday people are accepting v6 sports cars where back in the day not so much.

The V6es are that much better now.

Except for the 1st gen Firebird OHC sixes and 1989 when the Trans Am got the Buick 3.8 Turbo, Mustang and F-body sixes were comical at best.

The Inline sixes were at least reliable. The 250 Chevrolet, the 200 Ford, the 225 Chrysler were all reliable engines but you better plan ahead when merging with freeway traffic.

The solid lifter Cologne German 2.8 V6 sounded mean. That's all. Never really made any power

The 229 Chevy was built at a bad time. When a Chevy V8 only rates 150 hp, a chevy V8 with two cylinders lopped off is going to really suck.

GM's 60° V6 weren't any better than the Ford Cologne V6.....except maybe in reliability.

Did Ford put the Yamaha built SHO V6 in a Mustang? Hell no. They put it in a dumpy fat Jelly bean Taurus. The Mustang got a 140 hp Essex

Did GM put the 215 hp 3.4 DOHC 60° V6 in the 4th gen Camaro? Hell no. They put in a wheezer of a OHV 60° V6 with cast iron heads.

Cost was probably a factor in those decisions. It shouldn't be anymore.

Last edited by Beelzebubba; 07-29-2008 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Firbird? WTH? Muh speelink iz teh sux
Beelzebubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #27
Sierra

Drives: 2004 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
The v6 is not shabby at all. I am getting the v8 because thats what I always wanted.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #28
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
There will always be people who always think they are better because they have the performance model. Especially once more and more mainstream people start buying the Camaro. Either platform, V6 or V8 will have potential to be fast enough to get you into serious trouble.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote