Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 10-15-2018, 10:04 PM   #29
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Hum, those are nice...

Would change the look for sure. I’d want them to be brighter than my stock ones though...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:00 AM   #30
Dragonman

Drives: 2015 1LT OBE
Well. the info sheet for the headlights says the bulbs are "5000k", which I think is considered daylight brightness level and I don't think my current bulbs are that high. I just happen to like the DRL configuration on those better than the traditional Halo. Imma get a set, front and back, sooner or later. If I can arrange it, sometime late winter/early spring. 'Course, that will still depend on Hero actually making the headlight kits by then.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:41 PM   #31
Dragonman

Trunk Lid Bump Stop Adventure

Before my B2B expired I had taken my car in to get a bump stop fixed. The bump stops have a spring loaded piston in them and one of them kept getting what I thought then as stuck in a compressed position. Dealership had a look and gave me back the car after saying it was fixed and the work order states there was an "Abnormality in molding" and a new part was ordered. If they ever called to say the part was in I don't recall but I got the car back on 11JUL2017 and the bump stop piston was working properly. That lasted about 2 months and I noticed it was stuck in the compressed position again and poked it with my finger and the whole piston fell out of the bump stop into the trunk lid. At the time I was sick and tired of the service department's attitude and said eff it, trunk still works. Every now and then when I opened the trunk I could hear the piston rattle aroound.

This morning I vacuum the cabin and trunk and while I'm doing the trunk I notice the remaining piston is now in the "stuck" position and give it a poke with my finger and it falls into the lid. WTF over?! Now I'm left with this,

So I do a little hunting on the way to remove those panel retainers, land on an old thread here which talks about using a small screw driver and needle nose, fingers or the tool that's designed to do it. I tried using the plastic pry bar things I bought to remove the vent when I installed my gauges but that was a no go. Off to Autozone for the tool and some spare retainers. Got the tool and didn't have a retainer to match so came on home and got to work.

It's amazing how easy things are when the right tool is used. About 5 minutes after I got home had all but 4 of the retainers out and this falls out from the liner.

Pulled the last 4 and had all these parts.

These are the bump stops, assembled.

Went back to autozone for some fresh retainers and they didn't have any to match so ended up at O'Reilly and Advance to get 12 of them. Oddly, the ones that matched the closest were labeled for Chrysler and the set from advance were labeled universal. Both had the number 963-058 but the chrysler set have a D on the end and they seemed to fit the best.

So it's all back together now and looks like this.

I will change the way I close my trunk to a kinder, more gentler way to see if that keeps those pistons from falling out of the rubber grommet thing they're in. If it doesn't I'll either gorilla glue them in or hopefully find out those are the incorrect part and get the right ones.

Also took a video for reference and timed the brake lights before I buy those Hero's by Coplus from Phastek, which by the way should be happening tonight. Soon as I get done with this post I think. Gonna sneak a CAI in on this order to. WTH, if I'm going in to debt for these things, even if only for 3 months, might as well make it worth the effort. Be nice if that Welcome5 coupon code worked on these items. Ah well, karmic payback for not being a coupon or sales shopper.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:47 PM   #32
Dragonman

PARTS!

Old 11-03-2018, 10:50 PM   #33
Dragonman

Talking Journal thing

Onward!

A few days ago someone had the idea that I ought to replace the Camaro badging in front of the doors and badge it "Justice". I've been toying with ideas for a personalized license plate since I got the car and JUSTICE is too many letters here so was thinking of plating and calling the car either 1LTOBE or OBE1LT or some such but it never really had me jazzed about it and nothing else really occurred to me to call it so kinda just left it blank up to now. I seem to have latched onto this new idea though, and after mentioning it to wife and son they seem to approve. So, that's what it will be from here on out.

As you can see from the video in my previous post, my new tail lights and intake came in from Phastek on Thursday. Last weekend I told my son I was ordering these items and he offered to come help me with the install. Once the things arrived I contacted him to let him know it was on for Saturday. As the video shows I partially unboxed both and inspected for damage, there was none, put it all back in the box to wait for Saturday. Friday night I get home from work and fix myself what I'd been wanting all week,

Chowed that down then poured me some whisky,

and got busy cleaning my garage up. While the garage was in slight need of straightening up I was cleaning as a means of not starting on the installs without my son. So a full vac and spider web clearing occurred. I just did something similar a few months ago and was astonished how quickly them dang eight legged beasties rebuilt all that. While it's good for keeping other bugs under control it'd be nice if they weren't so bent on using my garage for their hunting grounds. Ah well, gives me something to do.

Got done with that around 10:30 or so and putzed around on my computer for a couple hours and went to bed. Used to be 3 glasses of scotch would allow me to sleep through 6-10 hours straight. Now it seems it's really only good for making me get up several times to visit the restroom. Another, "ah well".

Unusual for a Saturday, my wife went in to work for some OT. That actually works for me because that clears her bay so I can spread out. Not that it really mattered. If she hadn't gone to work I would've just parked her car outside for the day. I got up with her and puttered around a bit before she left then headed to the garage to start getting things ready.

Son shoots me text around 0820 to let me know he's on the way so I start ramping up my get ready efforts. Of course, true to form with almost any auto work I've ever done, hiccup #1 occurs as soon as I check if my tools will allow me to remove the fender liner screws without removing the wheels. Nope. Them folks at Phastek appear to have some low profile ratchets and I don't. Since I have a floor jack and stands, I set up to get the wheels off to give me room to work. Had a look over here for where to place the jack and stands and commenced to discover my old stands wouldn't go high enough. Already had the passenger side in the air so waited for son to show up, called local Autozone to see if they have stands that go at least 20" high and they said, for $50, they did. Soon as son shows up and finishes wolfing down his breakfast, off to the 'Zone we go. I suppose I coulda' just bought some little ratchet things but I figured I'll need the stands eventually so now I have a brand new pair of pretty blue 4 ton 20 1/4" stands and got a veteran's discount to go with it.

Got Justice's butt up in the air and commenced work on the bumper removal. That went almost well. Got all the fasteners removed and pulling it off all the latches was a bit tougher on the driver's side than I expected. Found out later I had broken one of the latch tabs getting it off the driver's side. Thankfully, there's a double tab at that location and it doesn't appear to have really hurt it much.

Getting the loom plug for the sidemarkers and plate light disconnected was also tougher than expected. That little latch clip popped clean out of the female end. Set it aside for later and continued with light removal, which was probably the easiest part of the whole thing. Transferred bumper latch plate to new lights then cleaned up all the dust that had accumulated over the last three years where I couldn't get to until now.

I didn't particularly care for the sequential bypass ends not being capped so I put some heat shrink on the male end and taped up the female, since I didn't have any heat shrink tubes big enough to cover it.

Installed the new lights and operationally checked them out before we put the bumper back on. All checked out 5 by 5 and we carried on.
Here's where we discovered I had broken a latch tab getting the bumper removed. I spotted it as we are checking over where all the latch tabs will go and I get all sad. Have a closer look and decide there's not much that can be done and since there's another pretty much right next to it, carry on. Now comes hiccup #2, or #3 if you count that broken tab as one.

That latch clip I mentioned for the sidemarker lights? Well, we spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out how it went back into the female plug, first me, then son, then me, then son, I finally said eff it, Imma look it up and find out, got three steps away and my son, whom I've always thought is smarter than I am, only lacking a lot of my life experiences, proves he is by hollering he got it. Plug it in and remount the bumper. Much easier going on than it was coming off. Get it all mounted, drop Justice's butt back on the ground and recheck light function, Still 5 by 5.

Time for lunch, since all I had for breakfast was 4 of them little chocolate donuts. Chow down a Dagwood sammich and head back down.

Decide to take a breaker bar to the lug nuts since my old pneumatic impact is probably not up to the torque required, even if it did get those lugs off, and I don't yet own a proper wrench for the measuring of such.

Get the car flipped around and start work on the intake. Disconnect the neg battery term and got started removing the stock intake. Son did most of the work here. The instructions from CAI indicate the stock intake can be removed after loosening 1 hose clamp, removing the crank breather hose, MAF and 2 nuts. We tried that route and couldn't hardly get the intake to budge. Since I'm a bit stouter than my son and it is my car, I muscled it around some and got it off the studs but it still wouldn't "just" lift out. We ended up pulling everything apart, even went so far as to pop the lid on the filter and vacuum out quite a bit more leaves and dirt than I thought would be underneath the filter, hunting for another nut or screw. Son gets his hand down between the filter housing and the fender, underneath it, and feels something there he thinks is holding on for dear life. I grab a flashlight, or if you're from the east side of the Atlantic, a torch, and peer at where his finger is and discover there's a stab stud on the bottom of the filter housing which goes through a rubber grommet and into the frame rail, get a screwdriver blade under it and pop it up. Out that thing comes. Hiccup #4 conquered. Did I mention my son is smarter than I am? There's also a couple of rubber isolators with a weird washer bushing thing the nuts were on we had to fight with a bit. Had to remove the one on the stud used to secure the CAI airbox. It wouldn't seat down far enough, nor was the the stud slot big enough to accommodate it. Got the new box all secured, get the MAF installed into that heavier than it looks main tube, prep the elbow onto it and slide the assembly onto the filter. I think that filter needs to be bigger. I'll find out later why it's the size it is. Rotate the elbow onto the throttle body and snug everything down a bit and see where we stand. Install the breather hose and see it may be a bit to long because the breather piping that stayed is now hitting the oil fill port. Don't like that much but the smarter of the two of us has me loosen the clamp where the elbow and main tube meet and rotates the filter clockwise, as your looking at it from the narrow end of the filter, and the breather tubing settles in a much better position. He remarks the MAF port location is not really optimal from his point of view and wonders aloud why it wasn't placed 90° clockwise, in the same clock position as the breather tube port. We grumble about how it looks for a bit then just accept the engineers at both CAI and Chevrolet must've had some reason to position the port where they did, even if neither of us is smart enough to think what it might be.

Get everything tightened back up, put the lid on the CAI, can't say either of us was impressed with CAI's choice of fasteners for that lid, we motored on however, got it secured and reinstalled the intake manifold cover. I suppose I should mention I forgot to disconnect my Interceptor gauges before I brought power back to Justice. It does appear they took no harm however. Got the trunk all put back together, climbed in and tapped Justice on the nose and woke her up. She told me to fix her windows right away, I did that and let her warm up a bit while son listened for any untoward noises from the engine bay. Gave her a couple tickles on the loud pedal, which disappointingly, won't allow anything much over 3000rpms unless the wheels are actually turning, son did notice a difference in tone right away from the stock intake. I didn't hear much from the cabin at this point. Time for a test drive. Son gets in and we take off. Head down the road to a nearby distillery, letting the oil warm up a bit before more exuberant application of the aforementioned loud pedal, which actually is now louder. I had forgotten what an uncorked intake sounds like and was more than pleasantly surprised by the shout from up front as Justice gobbled up air. I was more like , then all . Puts me in mind of when I flipped the breather lid on my Mom's '76 Impala with that big 4 barrel. She freaked when her lead foot engaged and she heard all that air gushin' down. When she got home she read me the riot act and I had to put it back the way it was. That for Helmholtz Resonators on intake tubes.
At any rate, I've got several videos to look through and get posted. Those will follow tomorrow or some other date.

PS to board moderators, if I can't figure out how to do it myself, if the capability exist anyway, would one of you be willing to change the title of this thread? It appears changing the title of the first post changes the thread title as well. Why is there no strikethrough text option?
Attached Images

Last edited by Dragonman; 11-05-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Dragonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:11 PM   #34
Dragonman

There'll be a much longer vid of this little adventure in a week or so.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:54 PM   #35
Dragonman

"Director's Cut" Hero Tail Light Install

Old 12-18-2018, 06:16 PM   #36
Dragonman

Took my car to the touchless last night then treated it with ECH2O. Man was it dirty.

Got my monthly Onstar diag report and it had lots of alerts stating it couldn't read this and that and the likely cause was an aftermarket device plugged in the port. OH NOES! Must remove gauges so I can get the useless Onstar report without warnings! NOT! I looked back at my previous diag reports, which I've been shuttling off to my Onstar folder without reading, and discovered this has been going on since May. I think I'll be glad when my free Onstar services expire and I'll stop getting that useless spam.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:31 PM   #37
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
I like the lights.. nice combo of 6th gen styling...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 06:31 PM   #38
Dragonman

Thanks Don.

Pretty sure the '14-'15 refresh was prep for the 6th gen. I like them better than the RS "Staples".
Old 01-28-2019, 06:43 PM   #39
Dragonman

So, Justice flickered a CEL at me this morning as I headed out to work. It idled a little rough when first woke up. It went out soon after it blinked a few times and didn't come back. Had a look at the code listing from my Aeroforce gauge and it showed P0110 and B2111. Looked up the former here and googled the P0110 Intake Air Temperature Circuit. Haven't been able to find the location of the IAT sensor. Wonder if the sensor is part of the MAF? Unless someone chimes in with sage advice here I'll keep looking.

The B2111 is a lumbar down switch failure. Since I have no idea which part the seat switch package adjusts the lumbar and I don't think my seat has a lumbar adjustment anyway I've ignored it since I first pulled the code back in May 2018.

On another note. Got me one of these;

For Christmas gift from the better half. Just used it a few days ago whilst detailing the inside. Sure worked well for when I was vacuuming the front floor boards and seats and cleaning the doors. Can't wait 'til it warms up some more and I can really give it a work out on the outside.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:19 AM   #40
Dragonman

Aeroforce Interceptor Parameter List

Posting PDF here so I can use it elsewhere, hopefully.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ParameterList-03012020.pdf (216.7 KB, 88 views)