Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 05-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #85
mikeec

Drives: 2011 RS/SS Vert IOM/IOM
My remark about the Mustang of course is tongue and cheek. My real feeling is you are either a Camaro person or a Mustang person. My first muscle car was a '78 Camaro. It was a six cylinder and didn't have major muscle. I've seen plenty of Mustang verts with their tops down. It comes down to the old adage; Ford or Chevy? I hate to admit it, but at least the Mustang vert doesn't seem to have the issues as those of us with the Camaro Vert. My new top has now been down four times and the indentation by the passenger window is getting worse.
mikeec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #86
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeec View Post
My remark about the Mustang of course is tongue and cheek. My real feeling is you are either a Camaro person or a Mustang person. My first muscle car was a '78 Camaro. It was a six cylinder and didn't have major muscle. I've seen plenty of Mustang verts with their tops down. It comes down to the old adage; Ford or Chevy? I hate to admit it, but at least the Mustang vert doesn't seem to have the issues as those of us with the Camaro Vert. My new top has now been down four times and the indentation by the passenger window is getting worse.
Both Mustang coupe and Camaro coupe are fine cars, regardless of the enging/tranny. Convertibles, though are a different story. Just seems that GM never gets it right. With all their so called "engineering" capability, they just seem second rate in that area. My first GM ragtop was a 91 Cavalier. The wife and I each had one. Neither top was worth a damn. Fabric pinched, rubs and holes and cracked fabric in less than a year. Tops replaced...no difference. After the warranty, an independent shop put a new top on, and made some adjustments to the mechanism, and it was perfect for 10 years till I sold it. GM didn't want to be bothered with designing it, so they farmed it out to ASC. What a disaster that was. ASC also installed the tops, and the workmanship under all the rubber covers and molding was something worse than what a 5 year old could do with a hacksaw and hammer. I will bet the farm that they farmed the design out on the C5 Camaro also. Which would explain everything. We had three Solstice converts, and while there was serious lemon issues with one of them, the tops worked perfectly, even if they were a Rube Goldberg affair. We still have one of them, and the top is still perfect, after 4 years. Go figure.
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #87
Michael Rophone

Drives: Yes
Quote:
My new top has now been down four times and the indentation by the passenger window is getting worse.
When I picked up my Vert at the dealership just before Christmas '11, the salesperson and I looked over the car from the Get-Ready Shop. There were no creases in the top over the passenger or driver doors. He put the top down to show me how it worked and put on the tonneau.

When we put the top back up and clamped it down...there was a deep indentation over both driver and passenger doors. Worse on the driver side.

I said, "Hey, what are these dents?" He said, "Oh, nothing. They'll stretch back out."

They sure are stretching...little by little...deeper and deeper.

Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #88
mikeec

Made my complaint to BBB and received a call from GM complaint line today. I'll have an answer by next Monday. A shame you have to go that route to get any satisfaction.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #89
Micki

Drives: 2012 Vert RS 2LT
Quote:
Made my complaint to BBB and received a call from GM complaint line today. I'll have an answer by next Monday. A shame you have to go that route to get any satisfaction.
I'm supposed to get my answer today.... hopefully GM will step up and handle this correctly.
Micki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #90
dakota74

Drives: 2014 Summit White; 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micki View Post
I'm supposed to get my answer today.... hopefully GM will step up and handle this correctly.
What's your dealer?
dakota74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #91
Micki

Drives: 2012 Vert RS 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota74 View Post
What's your dealer?
My dealer is Pine Belt Chevy in Eatontown. I am dealing with GM now. My car is really messed up.
Micki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:14 AM   #92
cactuseater

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulllett View Post
What post are you talking about? Since its a post on a public site, you can certainly quote it up here..........

I've spoken with my dealership about these very concerns. Unfortunately, you have to file against them.
That post was made a little bit back, like last week or so, and it's on a Facebook group for the vert top issues. You'd have to dig deep to find it by now. Thanks for the info on the BBB thingy. Just getting ducks in a row in case I must file, but I am optimistic the the dealer I am using can get this thing fixed right....even being their first top and all. Hoping for the best outcome. The design flaw is not their fault, and the fix should be a new mechanism and top...not just the top and a hack job on the mechanism. We'll see. Best regards...
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:16 AM   #93
cactuseater

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micki View Post
I'm sorry your wife's car is having issues. I know people that had their tops replaced and so far no issues. My dealer can fix some of my issues...other's they can't figure out. It's not their fault. They didn't build the car. GM needs to take responsibility. That post from Gateway was bad... A GM rep actually turned that post in to customer service. It's sad that someone from a dealership would write that.
Ditto. Keep us posted on how things go. Best of luck, seriously. This stuff is a time bandit and a pain in the butt. Her car goes in the 14th now for the first top replacement, hoping for the best.
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #94
topscomindown!

Drives: 2012 Black Convertible 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by topscomindown! View Post
I just dropped my vert off at the dealership to get the recall done. They said about two to three days it'll be ready.. I had no leaking or rubbing issues yet but didn't wanna wait til it happened so I took it in right away.. Will let you know the outcome
They were done a day early with the recall on my top.. I asked them what they did.. Couldn't tell me.. Just said we followed GM's guidelines to the T for the recall.. They gave me a page receipt of the work done but it's not specific.. There was also a air bag that needed to be worked on as part of the recall.. So far no issues
topscomindown! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #95
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Hello topscomindown!,

I am so happy to hear that the issue with your convertible top was fixed under warranty. If you have any other concerns or follow-up questions please feel free to contact me.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #96
mikeec

Update

GM engineer on his/her way to Va. to inspect my normal problem tomorrow.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:28 AM   #97
Fnfalguy
Supreme Advisor

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Why not use the improved 2012 convertible roof design as a replacement for the 2011 models or is that the solution being implemented by GM/Chevrolet?
Fnfalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #98
mikeec

I'm hoping that I get the new roof design. GM doesn't seem to want to do this though. My car is garaged. Yesterday I was caught out in the rain with it (oh the shame). Anyway, by the wrinkles in my top the water was pooling up. I can honestly say, I don't ever remember that happening when I washed the car. I'm sure I'll be told that's normal.

On to a side note for those people out there who say rub marks are normal. If this had been a hard top and every time I put the top down, it rubbed and scrapped paint off the top, would that be normal? So why the double standard for a ragtop? Sorry, I'm not buying it.