Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 04-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
keep my synergy green 2ss or trade up to a 1LE??

Well the opportunity has presented itself and now I have a dilema. Keep my synergy green 2SS or trade up to a new 2013 VR 1LE?
I would eventually buy most of the parts a 1LE comes stock with (either aftermarket or OEM) so I would end up spending more on mods to my synergy green. I just love the way my synergy green looks with my 1LE wheels but I have also always loved bright red. I guess is color alone a good reason to keep a car when ultimately I will be targeting total performance.

Any thoughts or insights??

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
TheGhosty

Drives: '11 SW 1LT RS
Keep the green man! It looks great!!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
Synner

Drives: cars
Depends on your definition of "ultimate". That would involve replacing most of what comes with the 1LE except for possibly the rear diff, better hubs, and trans. Still a good deal but not when you factor in the depreciation of your current car (8-10k). I would have started with a 1LE if it had been available but now I will be spending a bit more overall but having something with increased performance and durability on the road course and it will be totally unique.

I'm biased about the green but consider how they will likely not bring that color back but the reds/whites/blacks will be around EVERY year the camaro is made. Thats what drove me away from the white with orange interior, started seeing way too many of them and ABM was gone too by the time I wanted to buy.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
Nick S

Well I bought my synergy green used a year ago and I actually wouldn't be taking a very big hit. 2k at the most I would lose on trade value.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
nightmarechevy

Drives: 10 2SS/RS M6
I would have to agree. Keep the synergy and add the 1LE parts that you want. I sometimes wish we had gone synergy green. That color is amazing!
2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6 - Vararam, VMAX PTB, Solo Mach X, MGW, Street Slayer twin carbon, Tick stainless line and remote bleeder, GTO reservoir, 20" Verde Axis V99, R1 Concepts d/s rotors, CGM heritage grille, Texas Speed 2" long tubes
nightmarechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
right to travel

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS 1LE SW
Ya know for some reason i think you should keep it and do as many of the 1LE mods as you can and you can be the first adopted 1LE. What beside the wheels do you have?
right to travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
Synner

Drives: cars
Then it goes back to what you consider "ultimate" and your desired end state. I have hardly anything stock left on my suspension, theres better wheels for racing, coilovers, coolers, etc.

Totally a personal choice. The 1LE is a good deal for most and more car than most would need.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
Jims73z

Drives: 1973 z28 Rs , 2012 SS/Rs Blk/Blk M6
2014 1le maybe ?
Jims73z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
Nick S

Quote:
Originally Posted by right to travel View Post
Ya know for some reason i think you should keep it and do as many of the 1LE mods as you can and you can be the first adopted 1LE. What beside the wheels do you have?
I have the wheels and the ZL1 shifter. Nothing else yet (except a strong MAF!! Checked that last weekend!). On the SGM I would go with pedders pace car z package. I wouldn't go with OEM shocks/sways.

the trans, driveline parts, and electric steering are really appealing to me I guess.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #10
Spektrum

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
Keep the green, much more of a head turner than the VR.

I would hate to lose $2,000 (est) on a Camaro only to get another Camaro.
Spektrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #11
Mantis RS
Cool Kid on Campus

Drives: 2011 SGM 1LT/RS
I would keep the green and spend the extra money aftermarket, because of the color no longer being available you would have a unique car. Plus with OEM there's always going to be something you will want aftermarket and will pay for it anyways in the long run. Why not just start it on your current car? It's be a different story if 1LE was a model, not a package.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #12
Dynabyte

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/NPP Red Hot
Hey Nick - just my thoughts here as I went 180 degrees to what's being recommended. I had a 2011 SGM 2SS that was awesome. However, I traded it in 3 weeks ago on a Victory Red 1LE. My reasoning - 1) I got a great trade-in value - SGMs are rare and in relatively strong demand in the used market 2) It's not just rims/tires/suspension bits - one of my biggest reasons for purchasing the 1LE was the MM6 TR6060 and the 3.91 gears from the factory. These are not cheap items to put on a standard SS and are part of the GM drivetrain warranty 3) the NPP exhaust -with a factory warranty - you gotta hear it to believe it and 4) the entire package just works.

I did exactly what you are contemplating, and have absolutely no regrets. If you have the financial wherewithal to do it, go for it! You could pick up a set of SS rims/tires for 1K (if you don't have your originals), sell the ZL1 rims/tires for 2.5K-3.5K, and presto you have your difference you may need to make up in payoff.

Another thing to consider - 2013s have items that have been upgraded. A nicer dash, better placement of the door locks, electric steering and most importantly - if you have any shorter ladies in your life (like I do) the power passenger seat will be greatly appreciated.

It's the best bang for the buck in SS-land right now - and trust me, the color of the car doesn't matter when you have your hands on the wheel and shifter, and your foot on the floor The majority of my friends agree that I did the right thing - and even though SGM may be number one in attention-getting, Victory Red is pretty hot itself

Last edited by Dynabyte; 04-16-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Dynabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:13 PM   #13
Nick S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynabyte View Post
Hey Nick - just my thoughts here as I went 180 degrees to what's being recommended. I had a 2011 SGM 2SS that was awesome. However, I traded it in 3 weeks ago on a Victory Red 1LE. My reasoning - 1) I got a great trade-in value - SGMs are rare and in relatively strong demand in the used market 2) It's not just rims/tires/suspension bits - one of my biggest reasons for purchasing the 1LE was the MM6 TR6060 and the 3.91 gears from the factory. These are not cheap items to put on a standard SS and are part of the GM drivetrain warranty 3) the NPP exhaust -with a factory warranty - you gotta hear it to believe it and 4) the entire package just works.

I did exactly what you are contemplating, and have absolutely no regrets. If you have the financial wherewithal to do it, go for it! You could pick up a set of SS rims/tires for 1K (if you don't have your originals), sell the ZL1 rims/tires for 2.5K-3.5K, and presto you have your difference you may need to make up in payoff.

Another thing to consider - 2013s have items that have been upgraded. A nicer dash, better placement of the door locks, electric steering and most importantly - if you have any shorter ladies in your life (like I do) the power passenger seat will be greatly appreciated.

It's the best bang for the buck in SS-land right now - and trust me, the color of the car doesn't matter when you have your hands on the wheel and shifter, and your foot on the floor The majority of my friends agree that I did the right thing - and even though SGM may be number one in attention-getting, Victory Red is pretty hot itself
Thanks for the thoughts. Many of your thoughts are the same ones I'm having now. I still have my factory wheels (Polished RS SS wheels) so I would be keeping the 1LE wheel/tire set I bought as a second set. Nice to have a track set and a street set.
I've been thinking the same as you regarding the dual mode exhaust, 3.91 gears, and the unique transmission. All with a factory warranty. I could buy the gears for relatively cheap but with install labor costs it would end up being close to $800 I think. So I've already started adding up the cost for things:

Dual Mode Exhaust: $1725 shipped (quote from a forum sponsor here)
ZL1 Rear Diffuser: $588
Rear Gears: $600-$800
Front Splitter: $500

So I'm already looking at ~$3500 for just those parts and that doesn't even start on the suspension or other drive train parts like axles and bearings.

So I guess I look at the $2K loss as basically paying for some of those upgrades (mainly just the dual mode exhaust which the car I'm looking at comes with from the factory) and then getting some bonus upgrades to boot.

Plus I still really love Victory Red. I have a Bright Rally Red 2002 SS and I had a Red 87 Iroc-Z prior to that. So red and I have a long history together! That being said...I am really in love with SGM too!

I've been asking myself if I didn't have any 5th gen right now and found a Synergy Green 2SS or a Victory Red 1LE both with the options I wanted which one would I choose. I think I would end up choosing the 1LE because it would be the best performance dollar value and since I like both colors it's not like I'm settling for a color I don't like. I also don't care that red is one of the most popular colors. It's popular because it always looks good!
Old 04-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #14
Monte Mac

Drives: 13 1LE, 17 Sierra, 84 MonteSS,
It's hard to beat the looks that green machine gets, I don't even like green but every time I see one it makes my head turn!

However, just like the others have stated its hard to beat the 1LE for a stock vehicle. I was hoping you were gonna sell the extra wheels ha ha, my 1LE is going to need another set for street/track use just like you stated.

So keep us posted and whatever you do, enjoy it and never look back or regret your decision because there is no wrong answer when you go with a Camaro!

[B]Ordered 3/8/13
TPW 4/15/13
Built 4/15/13
Bayed 4/18/13
Released from QC HOLD 5/22/13
PERMAGRIN INSTALLED 5/30/13
Monte Mac is offline   Reply With Quote