Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-22-2014, 07:26 PM   #85
Robbreptile

Drives: 2003 Chevy Blazer ZR2
Daytona

I am heading down to Daytona for the Rolex 24 hour race and I will see it live from the infield. Have SLR Camera in tow and will get plenty of pics and will post a few action shots within a week to share with everyone.
Robbreptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:10 PM   #86
Slapshot

Drives: 2010 2SS
Damn.. why couldn't that have been at NAIAS? I'd have loved to have seen that. I have to say the all black Z/28 that was there didn't look nearly as good as the frosted white or silver models I've seen. I love black, but with all the rockers, splitters and spoilers gloss black on a gloss black car.... kind of overwhelming..
Slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:58 PM   #87
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPony View Post
I cannot believe Grand Am sanctioned this car for the series. The previous Boss 302R had to run with a restrictor and RPM limit to compete. To allow a car that has a serious torque and HP advantage into the series boggles my mind. You can bet other teams, not just the Mustang teams will cry, nay SCREAM!, foul. Even the 414 HP BMW had restrictions on it.

Good for GM that the car was allowed to compete, but bad overall for Grand Am to allow the car in with many obvious advantages. I can't wait to read the rules to see how badly they hammer it with restrictors and penalties.
I thought Grand Am was dead? Tudor Continental series?
Old 01-22-2014, 08:58 PM   #88
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
..the race will be telivised live this weekend.....catch it if you can....just sayin'
Old 01-22-2014, 09:05 PM   #89
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
..the race will be telivised live this weekend.....catch it if you can....just sayin'
When is the Continental series going to be aired?
Old 01-22-2014, 09:08 PM   #90
OldScoolCamaro

.....I don't have the time as of now, but I'm sure it will be on Speed, Velocity, Fox1, or some similar cable channel.....
Old 01-22-2014, 09:08 PM   #91
djcfuzz
Do somethin fun every day

Drives: 2012 45th V6 RS M6
Go Camaro!
djcfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:20 PM   #92
OldScoolCamaro

New era for begins Camaro Z/28.R at Daytona with IMSA Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge

The Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 returns to its racing roots this week when the new Camaro Z/28.R race car debuts in a 2.5-hour endurance race ahead of the 52nd Rolex 24 At Daytona. It will be one of the most production-based competitors on the track, sharing aero, engine and even axle components with the new 2014 Camaro Z/28.
Stevenson Motorsports and CKS Autosport will campaign Z/28.R race cars in the GS class of the IMSA Continental Tires SportsCar Challenge. The Daytona race begins at 1:45 p.m. EST, on Friday, Jan. 24, kicking off the 12-race 2014 season.
“The original Camaro Z/28 was designed for racing and became an iconic performance car through its hard-fought victories,” said Mark Kent, director of racing for Chevrolet. “A new chapter in racing begins this week, as the new Camaro Z/28 makes its competition debut in one of the most hotly contested series in motorsports.”
Developed alongside its production counterpart, the Z/28.R incorporates the same performance elements that make the 2014 Camaro Z/28 the most track-capable Camaro ever. To enhance grip, for example, the Z/28.R’s body shares the same downforce-generating aero package as the production model, including:
Front splitter
Rear spoiler with wickerbill
Hood extractor vent
Rockers, wheel-house extensions and front tire deflectors
Belly pan.
The Z/28.R is also powered by the same LS7 7.0L V-8 engine as the production Z/28 and employs the unique, helical-gear limited-slip rear differential found on the production model. It is standard in the Z/28, helping the driver put down more power to the pavement when exiting corners.
“Apart from series-mandated equipment and the specialized suspension components needed for endurance racing, the Z/28.R is as close to a production-spec race car as you’ll find,” said Kent.
As Stevenson Motorsports and CKS Autosport kick off a full season of racing in the IMSA Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge with their new Camaro Z/28.R race cars, they’ll advance the legacy of Camaro endurance racing that dates to the original Z/28’s 1967 introduction, when it was developed for the Trans-Am series. More recently, the Camaro GS.R won six races from 2011 to 2013 in the Continental SportsCar Series Grand Sport class, helping Chevrolet achieve a runner-up finish in the GS championship last season.
“The new Camaro Z/28.R is a significant advancement from the GS.R that won multiple races in the Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge the last three years,” said Lisa Talarico, Chevrolet program manager for the Continental Tire series. “We expect the new engine package, suspension components and aerodynamic improvements to help our teams to further successes in the 2014 GS class. The GS class is full of great competitors, and we believe the performance level of the new Z/28.R will provide us the opportunity to contend for a championship.”
The 2014 Camaro Z/28 goes on sale this spring.
01/21/14

Find more articles on this subject
Sports Car Illustrated

Home | Automotive News | Features | Formula One | Indy Car | WEC, TUSCC, ELMS, ALMS | More Motorsports | Historic-Vintage Racing | Store
Automotive Shows | Recalls | Links | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise with us
Đ Sports Car Illustrated Inc.

AdChoices

Old 01-23-2014, 06:40 AM   #93
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
I'm curious as to which engine they will run. Aren't they restricted to a series size and HP? I'm sure they won't run a full 427 CI car against 302 Mustangs? I just really have no clue? Are they the 5.5 as in the C6R cars? I wish I knew more about the series.
It's likely de-tuned to a lower number, if not yet it will be once the other teams start whining. That's what happened to the previous Camaro GS.R with the LS3 when they saw it could out brake everyone else as well. With the brake package on the Z28 you can see where that's headed, lol. Also, remember this a 2.5 hour endurance race. The car has to last that long without breaking.

Last edited by ZED SLED; 01-23-2014 at 06:55 AM.
ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:51 AM   #94
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark10 View Post
Yeah but I need to be able to watch TV when it's raining out or the wind is blowing so I have cable.
Only lost signal once with very wet snow. Went out and brushed it off and back to watching racing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American ZL1 View Post
for a second there I thought that I might have had the coolest camaro at sebring, until these guys showed up! The sound sp BADA$$. fast forward to the last 10 seconds to hear it
After hearing all the other cars go by, then the Z/28! Wow, nothing like the sound of an LS7!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:11 AM   #95
LostPony

Drives: 2012 Boss 302
I talked to a friend who has run for a couple teams in the ST class and he told me the Stevenson cars are very fast in testing. So much so that a "competition adjustment" may happen before the Roar before the 24.

Interestingly enough, the Pill has been dead quiet about this development with no mention of it at either SVTP or M6G. I posted it at M6G under my other screen name "FATTBoss" to see what Mustang fans think.

My hope is that it lifts some restrictions on other teams like BMW and Ford, and forces the sandbagging Porsche teams to show their hand.

2012 Kona Boss 302 #2758
LostPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:32 AM   #96
SSMY1LE

Drives: '14 1LE RS NPP Recaro
How long before these eagle graphics are made available ??

SSMY1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #97
MyIBMssRS

Drives: 10 IBM SS RS/14 1500 Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
What would you rather have it run in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark10 View Post
Chevrolet likes the Corvette for the Tudor Series. Even if it was in the Tudor Series it would be a Pratt & Miller built tube chassis, carbon fiber body panel clone purpose built race car like the SS in the Rolex GT.
I'd rather see it run in the top level were it did for the last few years in addition to the Continental Series. I'm also aware that this version is closer to the street version but it looked identical running for Stevenson in both series last year.
On top of that I'd perfer to watch it race live since the Continental Series gets horrible airtime and is almost entirely taped delayed. It's usually hard to follow it without getting spoilers before hand.
MyIBMssRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:02 AM   #98
MyIBMssRS

Drives: 10 IBM SS RS/14 1500 Z71
Anyone know if someone makes a wheel that looks similar to the one used on the race car? It kind of reminds me of the old C6 'spider' wheel.
MyIBMssRS is offline   Reply With Quote