Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 06-23-2016, 01:20 PM   #15
David.1le

Drives: 2015
I have a 2015 1le with about 20,000 miles. I started an oil consumption test a while ago. The results are as follow. My ls3 consumes from 4qt (With a heavy right foot) to 1qt (Engine always under 3000rpm) every 2000 miles. I think that is NOK, my dealership tells me, 1qt every 2000 miles is within the spec, and the guide line says this specific car with this specific transmission can use until 1qt for 500 miles...

What are your thoughts?
David.1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:01 PM   #16
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Guys, there is a Chevrolet service bulletin out that covers certain LS engines that may have high oil consumption. I am aware of this due to my wife's 2013 Avalanche. We took it in for a routine oil change at the dealer, which they did. I knew going in it was about 1 qt low with a few percent left on the oil life. We drove it about 300 miles and took it in for the change (long story of how it we got out of town with that little life left on the oil). When they checked it at the dealer before the change, it was not even on the dip stick.
Our truck was targeted for oil consumption. The pistons and rings were replaced at no charge. It seems that there was a tolerance stack up between the oil ring groove and the oil rings, and when the engine got hot, it would cause the oil ring to stick in the piston and not wipe the walls, thus the consumption. Truck has run great since with no issues.
When I read the bulletin, it appeared that the Camaro LS engines were effected by this as well. I would check with my dealer.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:53 PM   #17
ASimmons04

Drives: 2015 AGM 2SS RS 1LE
This may not make much of a difference but since I bought my 1LE brand new, and I do this with all my vehicles, I allow for proper warm up time before driving my car. It's a pet peeve of mine. I had my oil changed at 1305 miles and again at 4500 miles. I've only checked the oil once or twice but have never noticed much of any consumption. Just a thought. I just believe in proper warm up and cool down of a vehicle.
ASimmons04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:43 AM   #18
Bizlipkick

Drives: 45th Ann. 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASimmons04 View Post
This may not make much of a difference but since I bought my 1LE brand new, and I do this with all my vehicles, I allow for proper warm up time before driving my car. It's a pet peeve of mine. I had my oil changed at 1305 miles and again at 4500 miles. I've only checked the oil once or twice but have never noticed much of any consumption. Just a thought. I just believe in proper warm up and cool down of a vehicle.
Yea I do the same, was raised to let the car warm up at least a minute to get the juices going , longer for cold weather

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Bizlipkick is offline   Reply With Quote