Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 12-24-2017, 11:59 PM   #1
its Sparkyyy

Drives: 2012 V6 Summit White Camaro
How much boost can the stock internals take?

Just wondering if anyone ever threw a rod or cracked a head with the LFX or if everyone's just played it safe and went with forged internals before things got too crazy? I know djcolopi made it to around 550rwhp with stock internals but now has forged internals to hit 700rwhp.
its Sparkyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 12:21 AM   #2
djcolopi

Drives: @orange_maro
Quote:
Originally Posted by its Sparkyyy View Post
Just wondering if anyone ever threw a rod or cracked a head with the LFX or if everyone's just played it safe and went with forged internals before things got too crazy? I know djcolopi made it to around 550rwhp with stock internals but now has forged internals to hit 700rwhp.
No one has pushed the stock short block that far. I assume it is due to the hpfp being maxed out around 500-550rwhp. Once the HPFP is maxed out and people either get custom grinded cams to modify the fuel lobe and do a supplemental fuel or secondary fuel setup tney decide to just build the short block. I would not be surprised if someone with a LFX hit 600rwhp on stock internals.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:40 AM   #3
its Sparkyyy

Drives: 2012 V6 Summit White Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcolopi View Post
No one has pushed the stock short block that far. I assume it is due to the hpfp being maxed out around 500-550rwhp. Once the HPFP is maxed out and people either get custom grinded cams to modify the fuel lobe and do a supplemental fuel or secondary fuel setup tney decide to just build the short block. I would not be surprised if someone with a LFX hit 600rwhp on stock internals.
I didn't think anyone had I was just curious. If the budget allows it I might try and push the limits when the time comes for me to start my FI build and just drop in a new motor if the old one blows. It would be very interesting to see how much it can actually take.
its Sparkyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 10:48 AM   #4
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Depends on what type of boost, how good the setup is, and the type of tuner. Hypereutectic pistons are very strong but brittle, if you have any detonation or pre-ignition event it can shatter it. If your PCV system isn't setup right, you can get fuel caught between the rings and if it ignites, you lift that part of the piston top off. When the boost is applied also has an affect on when the parts will break, the higher the torque, the more cylinder pressure there is and that can break the rods.

The bearings and crank are good stock.

I have an LLT motor but I run 17+ PSI of boost at 7300 RPM with over 30 degrees of timing, more than most people run on NA motors. I have mine setup correctly though.