Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-28-2015, 01:25 PM   #1
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
How To Get That Hollow Exhaust Sound

It is the most apparent on the older mustangs, pre 2005. When I hear them on the road they sound different than any other V8. After some videos I figured out it was Flowmaster. So which muffler of Flowmaster gives me that best hollow sound? Is it Super 44's? The American Thunder catback sound good what do they use? The flowmaster rep said this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@Flowmaster View Post
The mufflers in our American Thunder Cat-back and Axle-back kits were specifically designed for these systems and are not available for purchase separately.

The closest thing muffler-wise to what is available in American Thunder systems for the Camaro would be our Super 44 Series mufflers.
Someone told me also that sound comes from having the mufflers in the middle just like the mustang and challenger does. Here are some videos of the sound I'm talking about:
https://youtu.be/xA2Bf7wL5LM?t=50
https://youtu.be/2nHqphj7yQ8?t=19

Also this sounds pretty good he has headers also like me and the American Thunder Catback, I know it's cammed:
Old 11-28-2015, 01:33 PM   #2
MurderMaro

Drives: '13 Black 2SS 1LE
Why would you want to sound like a mustang?
MurderMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 01:44 PM   #3
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurderMaro View Post
Why would you want to sound like a mustang?
It's the flowmaster sound. Did you not see the video of the Challeneger and Camaro?
Old 11-28-2015, 02:14 PM   #4
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Back in the day we used to take off the cats on the old 5.0 and use a catless H pipe and a flowmaster 40 or 50 to get that sound .
Old 11-28-2015, 02:15 PM   #5
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
Back in the day we used to take off the cats on the old 5.0 and use a catless H pipe and a flowmaster 40 or 50 to get that sound .
Yea I plan on using an H-Pipe, high flow cats are gonna stay
Old 11-28-2015, 02:46 PM   #6
avido

Drives: camaro ss\rs
i have flowmaster american thunder with dynatech longtune and highflow cat. it sounds pretty close to what you are looking for.

2014 camaro SS Whipple powered ,3.750 pulley,ID850, CAI,Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust,MGW racing shifter,Bo White ported tb,MightyMouse Catch Can,Vitesse throttle controller,GM 3.91 rear end, Dynatech longtube haders, BTR Pd cam,Fluidampr stock pulley,ZL1 fuel pump and ADM fpcm, Phastek scoop and fluid thank relocation Bmr Motor mount . Tuned by Mastuning

avido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:47 PM   #7
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by avido View Post
i have flowmaster american thunder with dynatech longtune and highflow cat. it sounds pretty close to what you are looking for.

Sounds good
Old 11-29-2015, 03:10 AM   #8
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Could be placement of the mufflers. Exhaust systems for that year/model Mustang have the muffler placement right in the middle of the system whereas our systems typically have the muffler at the end. That and the cats, and engine itself create the type of exhaust note.

I think your best bet might be the pypes mid muffler system but even that isn't very hollow sounding. Maybe placing some or one super 44 in the middle (if they have a dual in, dual out muffler) right in the middle will get you that sound.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:49 AM   #9
Fred 6528

Drives: 2011 ss
Super 44 placed at the bumper will give u that sound
Fred 6528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:32 AM   #10
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
Could be placement of the mufflers. Exhaust systems for that year/model Mustang have the muffler placement right in the middle of the system whereas our systems typically have the muffler at the end. That and the cats, and engine itself create the type of exhaust note.

I think your best bet might be the pypes mid muffler system but even that isn't very hollow sounding. Maybe placing some or one super 44 in the middle (if they have a dual in, dual out muffler) right in the middle will get you that sound.
Do 2 super 44's fit in the middle?
Old 11-29-2015, 10:51 AM   #11
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
I have read, some time ago, that it has mostly to do with muffler placement. That the length of pipe after the muffler, (tail pipe) is what helps to create that "hollow" sound.

I've mentioned before, but I had a '96 Vette that I eliminated the rear mufflers and eventually put on a Magnaflow resonated x-pipe. This gave me a raw rumble at idle and screamed at WOT. The resonated x-pipe kept drone and raspiness low to zero. It sounded good. I had stock manifolds and stock cats. When the stock cats went out, it was a bit too loud for me, but I'm old. This is the only thing keeping from doing to this car, but I'm still thinking about it. With headers and high flow cats, I think a set up like this is going to get you as close as you can get to that old school muscle sound. IMHO

*Note: I know that there is a vast difference between the '96 LT4 engine and the LS3/L99, but I think the principle applies.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:09 AM   #12
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
Do 2 super 44's fit in the middle?
I don't think they will the mufflers are fairly large. But if you use two super 44's in the rear I think you'll get close to the sound you want, or get a dual in/dual out super 40 delta (only muffler with dual in dual out) and put it right after the X or H pipe. The X or H pipe won't do much for the hollow noise, it will just make it sound smoother or a little more rough.

This video is of two super 44's in place of the stock mufflers. I think.

Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53

Last edited by xc_SS/RS; 11-29-2015 at 11:26 AM.
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:27 AM   #13
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
I don't think they will the mufflers are fairly large. But if you use two super 44's in the rear I think you'll get close to the sound you want, or get a dual in/dual out super 44 and put it right after the X or H pipe. The X or H pipe won't do much for the hollow noise, it will just make it sound smoother or a little more rough.

This video is of two super 44's in place of the stock mufflers. I think.

Your SS sounds exactly like mine with the Solo Axle back J/Pipes which
are a muffler delete set up. I've had them on my Camaro for 5 years now
and just love the muscle car sound. Nothing else is needed in my opinion.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:24 PM   #14
bionick

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Check out spintech mufflers. IMO they have that "hollow" sound