Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
Predator2U

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS M6
Metal Shavings In Differential Fluid - Yikes!

Well, it all started with a slight squeeling sound emitting from the right rear of my 2SS. I immediately drove to the Dealer and the Mechanic looked it over. His diagnosis was that the wheel bearing seal was pressed in slightly crooked and after heat expansion, it starts rubbing on the bearing. No problem, continue to drive it and we will get parts ordered. Several weeks passed and no call from Dealer so I call them, "still waiting on 1 part" we will call you when it arrives. 8 weeks later I take a day off work and arrive unannounced, asking where the parts are? The noise was worsening by the day, to the point that folks were asking "what is wrong with your car?" I have now driven over 3000 miles since I was told to continue to drive it. After getting a bit snippy with the Serevice Department, they agreed to take my car in the next day and make the repairs. Apparently the parts magically arrived? 4 hours later, they had sucessfully replaced the rear hub assembly, shock and a nut (they said the shock showed signs of oil leakeage). I drove away happy until I rolled the window down and heard the same squeeling sound once again.
Immediately, I drove the 20 miles back to the Dealer where they put it up onto a rack with engine running and the car in gear. The sound is coming from the differential (right side) where the stub axle exits the case. The Mechanic says it sounds like a bad bearing in the diff and that they would have to remove the diff from the car and tear it apart. He then shut off the motor and pulled the fluid check plug. The oil was completely full of metal shavings! I made comment that it looks like a new differential will be ordered and to my dismay, he replied "no". He says that these things are very pricy and that Chevy requires that we pull it apart and replace the defective parts. WHAT? the oil is full of metal shavings and they want to replace a bad part? To me the whole thing is now bad because I was told to drive it. So now... I have an appointment for Monday to drop it off and they will tear into it. Expect 1-2 weeks for resolution I was told.
I know this will get resolved in time and they are in fact making the effort to do so however; a failing differential at 3000 miles? I baby this car. I have never used Comp Mode nor have I ever raced it. A few times I have pulled 5K RPM while entering the freeway however I have never just "dumped" the clutch. I was hoping for this car to last 10, 20 or even 30 years without major engine, trans or rear end failure.
Now I have a differential full of metal shavings and they want to rip it apart and replace the bad part. I expect it to take at least 2 months based on the last parts ordering process.

Here is what the problem sounds like. This was found from a post almost 1 year ago but I will use this guys link to let you all hear what it sounds like.

If you experience this same sound, get to you dealer fast! or you will trash your differential like I have.
I miss my camaro already!
Old 03-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Expect at least a month. GM has a stupid policy to try and fix everything. I had my motor blow at 9,000 miles and instead of just giving me a new motor and getting me out of there in 2 weeks tops they had my car for over a month and a half while they rebuilt it.

With defective problems like ours they need to just put new everything in and get the customer out quick so they dont get angry, then take the defective parts and send them to engineering to see what may have went wrong.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Ask them if they are using overnight shipping once they diagnose what parts it needs. GM pays for overnight shipping on warranty parts. Some ass clowns are just too lazy to do it. They get a discount for using the slow boat from Korea when ordering shelf stock pad orders - because in theory nobody is waiting for those parts, just replenishing shelf stock. However, some douchebags use that slow order method for all parts to build up their discount. When they determine what it needs, ask what shipping method is being used - it better be overnight.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote