Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-24-2009, 11:25 PM   #1
Kartman90

Drives: none
New member with a couple questions

HI all, I been looking around the forums and I love the Camaros. I currently drive a Nissan Titan and I have decided to sell it. I will be shipping to boot camp in about two weeks and I am buying a Camaro right after that. How long does it take to arrive if I order it? Is the SS 6.2L engine a OHV? SOHC? I already looked at the upgrade thread but still a little lost on with exhaust and intakes bring in the most power. Im sure I got more questions but I cant rremember at the moment. Thanks in advance
Kartman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:17 AM   #2
Red Rocker
I can't drive 55!

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 CRT
The engine is a traditional small block Chevy - OHV 2 valves per cylinder.

On ordering, it appears that the average wait right now is about 3 months as long as your dealer has allocations available. It could be longer if not. Up north, they are starting to sit on the lots with winter coming. At the dealer up the street from me, there are 4 SS all M6: RJT, BLK, ABM, IOM.

When finding a dealer, do not pay over MSRP. In fact, if you belong to a credit union, you should be able to get supplier pricing. Search for "credit union" on this site to find out how to get your #.
Red Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:29 AM   #3
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
Red Rocker is pretty much right in saying that it is a traditional small block Chevy. with that said, there are some very prominent differences. The LS3 and L99 are OHV aluminum block and heads engines, the old style small block was an iron block with either iron or aluminum heads. The valve arrangements and cam locations are very different than the old small block designed as a 265 CI engine released in 1955. These are totally modern high technology small block engines. They have a six bolt main bearing system and the old style tin valve covers are gone. So are they oil leaks, and so is the distributor. They are a pleasure to drive and are very potent.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
Gunmetal

Drives: Cyber Grey 1SS/RS w/Body Kit
Good luck in Boot Camp. A camaro is just what you will be needing after that experience
Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote