Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-12-2019, 10:46 AM   #1
Falfan

Drives: 14 SS
Audio upgrade opinion

Okay I know a lot of you guys on here upgraded from the mediocre Factory amp/speakers stuff and if you wouldn't mind I would like your opinion on the equipment I'm planning on useing.
I'm keeping my factory stereo ,for now anyway
Factory amp replacement Wiring kit , driver side side firing box, adapters to put 6.5 components in the rear deck from "that company"
Polk db6502 component x4
Alpine pdx-v9
10" ( or would 12 be better? Jl w3
My biggest concern and I can't seem to find a straight answer is there going to be a problem running 100 watts through Factory gauge wiring, because I don't want to cut up my car and at the same time I'm not real thrilled about it to catch on fire either
I'd like to hear from people who I've been running around a hundred watts through factory wiring over a long period of time ,If there has been any problems?
Sorry for rambling, any input is a good thing,
Oh, the car is a 14 2SS
Thanks in advance

Last edited by Falfan; 05-12-2019 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Talk-to-text = an incoherent post LOL
Falfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:53 AM   #2
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
So I didn’t redo all the wiring but I replaced the amp with the wiring and amp mounting board from that curse word company. It all started with a new radio when I hooked it up the speakers sounded like crap. I had to replace the amp and man what a difference. I highly recommend if you don’t want to do a lot of work, just get a new amp and wiring kit. The factory amp definitely seemed to be the “weak link” in the stereo system.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:26 AM   #3
Falfan

45thcamaro
Thanks for the input, I hope this combo will work!, yes the wearing the plugs in to the factory harnesses is very cool mixed with a 5 channel amp totally easy supposing it all works out lol, now I'm wondering if 500 watts is enough for a sub .
Old 05-12-2019, 01:00 PM   #4
Leo72793

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
i pushed 75 wRms through factory wires no issues, then again i made sure to tune it for no clipping and used high end terminals. It should work fine, i ran 16 gauge wire for my new 3 way component setup and it definetly likes it. im throwing 125 rms through right now
•Speed Engineering Longtube Headers w/ Magnaflow HF Cats
•Bo White PnP Stage 2 TB
•GPI SS2 VVT Cam w Cometic thin gaskets 10.69 compression
•Xpipe w/ Res Delete and NPP Exhaust
•Tuned By Anonymous Calibrations
•Gen5DIY Mylink Conversion W/ Backup Cam
•Morel 3 way custom speakers, Infinity 860w Subwoofers in trunk baffle
•Helix P6 6ch amp w/ 8ch DSP and P1 Sub amp
Leo72793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:31 AM   #5
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Proper speaker wire is only partially related to the amount of power you're sending through it. For a stock amp producing 10w-25w, the stock lamp cord works just fine. The GM engineers didn't receive approval for anything else. The common misconception here is that the OEM wiring in the vehicle is of any quality at all, when the fact is the wire was the cheapest product they could find to physically produce sound. The OEM wire is absolute junk.

Proper speaker wire is about avoiding insertion loss and dampening, this is pure physics and has absolutely nothing to do with popular opinion. People will tell you 7 days a week that stock wire is fine or they run 1-200w rms with no problems on it but, the reality is they couldn't be more wrong. One doesn't change physics.

I can run 100 mph in an '84 Datsun mini-truck also, but for only few dollars, you can do it in a Corvette. You have some equipment, but sound quality is only as good as you can afford, can hear and willing to spend. Rewiring the 5th Gen Camaro is stupid easy, simply takes a little time and care, but I certainly don't recommend installing the products you listed without installing quality 16 AWG OFC wire. I personally like Karma Wire.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:29 PM   #6
Falfan

Snoman,
Thanks for your input, I'm with you and I've run new wire in older cars and my older Silverado but they had boots through the doors , I dont want to drill a hole in the door to put a boot and wire through , and in not sure about drilling out the factory setup , I've read of it causing problems, I take it that's not your experience?.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:41 AM   #7
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
There is a grommet in the body that will accept wire and most drill into the aluminum below the boot. No one has had any problems that I'm aware of, read about or heard from. I did these 5 years ago;

Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote