Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2019, 03:45 PM   #99
mlee
---> CamaroFest.org
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 Crush ZLE
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 34,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midblues View Post
Actually no you dont have to be deliberate to activate it just get on it and go above the set rpm and its on. Sorry should be an option to disable it. Its annoying when you dont want to use it and just have some spirited driving. Thanks anyhow I just figured I would ask.
So how do you know it's activated other than reading this thread?

How does it in any way affect the way your spirited driving?

Since you are shifting by lifting off the gas pedal it's completely deactivated which is the old school way of doing it so I can't even remotely think of how this is an issue.

Maybe check out the section on skip-shift.
__________________
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:04 PM   #100
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 25,241
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midblues View Post
Actually no you dont have to be deliberate to activate it just get on it and go above the set rpm and its on. Sorry should be an option to disable it. Its annoying when you dont want to use it and just have some spirited driving. Thanks anyhow I just figured I would ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
So how do you know it's activated other than reading this thread?

How does it in any way affect the way your spirited driving?

Since you are shifting by lifting off the gas pedal it's completely deactivated which is the old school way of doing it so I can't even remotely think of how this is an issue.

Maybe check out the section on skip-shift.
Yeah, I'm trying to figure out what he's doing & why NLS is a problem for him. It activates when you've got the gas floored and shift above 5k (4400 for I4/V6). The No Lift Shift pretty much just keeps the car happy when you're powershifting. Not really sure what his issue with that is. And if he isn't trying to powershift ... its not doing anything.

__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
Originally Posted by FbodFather
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!
__________________

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:28 PM   #101
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter
 
Norm Peterson's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 6,008
Perhaps it takes a fraction of a second for the NLS feature to realize that a driver is running the engine above the threshold for NLS to work but is making a lift-foot upshift anyway. That could hold the revs up momentarily rather than letting them drop back immediately. I'd imagine that there could be some variation in how much/how long it takes to drop out of NLS.


Norm
__________________
'08 GT coupe 5M (the toy)
'19 WRX 6M (the family sedan) and an '01 Maxima 5M (the spare)

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 06-17-2019 at 04:42 PM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:44 PM   #102
Midblues
 
Drives: Chevy Camaro 2019 Turbo 4 LT 6sp
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: home
Posts: 12
I think Norm Peterson got it. It just hangs enough for me to hear it and feel it. This is my first 4 cylinder turbo also used to the v8 rpm seems to drop quicker on those. But thanks for everyones input I will let her break in a bit for awhile and see what happens.
Midblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:52 PM   #103
mlee
---> CamaroFest.org
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 Crush ZLE
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 34,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midblues View Post
I think Norm Peterson got it. It just hangs enough for me to hear it and feel it. This is my first 4 cylinder turbo also used to the v8 rpm seems to drop quicker on those. But thanks for everyones input I will let her break in a bit for awhile and see what happens.
Okay, I don't believe I4 turbo was mentioned before and you may be right about how rpm drops. Now you have me curious to drive one.

I'm kind of thinking NLS might be even nicer when the RPM doesn't drop as fast. I will add once you get used to it when going WOT it comes totally natural.
__________________
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:51 PM   #104
Boost Creep

 
Boost Creep's Avatar
 
Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Pennsyltucky
Posts: 1,752
I thought maybe he was hitting the clutch pedal a little early causing the rpm to cut.
__________________
'18 1SS 1LE Black, PDR
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:13 AM   #105
DaveC113
 
DaveC113's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Front Range, CO
Posts: 483
turbos often have bad rev hang. That's what it is, not NLS. Rev hang.
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:51 AM   #106
VinnAY
 
Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Missouri
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
IME most all modern engines do this at times and to a degree. It's called rev hang afaik... it's really bad on some cars.

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the NLS feature, it's for emissions.
That's right. The rev-hang has more to do with emissions control of not allowing the throttle to snap closed suddenly. Has nothing to do with NLS
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:54 AM   #107
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter
 
Norm Peterson's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 6,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Okay, I don't believe I4 turbo was mentioned before
If it was, I didn't see it either (and "Drives: Chevy Camaro" under the avatar pic isn't enough information either).

As mentioned, turbocharged cars do have some reputation for rev hang. But it's hard to say under what conditions it'll be worse and when it won't be as bad. On our new WRX, rev hang is horrible on the 1-2 if you're hurrying it at all. But almost completely absent if you aren't, and unnoticeable between other gears under . . . let's call it "moderate enthusiasm" using maybe 80% of redline and shifting carefully but reasonably quickly.


On re-reading Midblue's original thoughts it also occurs to me that if NLS was calibrated more for the straight line crowd it's not going to suit the corner-carvers - or those who drive less "brutally" - nearly as well.

When the revs are intentionally held higher than the next gear requires, you gain a brief acceleration spike as flywheel inertia converts to additional driveline torque as it decelerates to the rpm that matches road speed. This spike is also what helps you chirp the tires on a harsh upshift. But it isn't particularly useful at autocross or out on the big tracks where smoothness is the preferred quality and where reducing shift time to some absolute minimum normally isn't all that important.


Norm
__________________
'08 GT coupe 5M (the toy)
'19 WRX 6M (the family sedan) and an '01 Maxima 5M (the spare)

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 06-18-2019 at 07:05 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:26 AM   #108
Boost Creep

 
Boost Creep's Avatar
 
Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Pennsyltucky
Posts: 1,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
If it was, I didn't see it either (and "Drives: Chevy Camaro" under the avatar pic isn't enough information either).

As mentioned, turbocharged cars do have some reputation for rev hang. But it's hard to say under what conditions it'll be worse and when it won't be as bad. On our new WRX, rev hang is horrible on the 1-2 if you're hurrying it at all. But almost completely absent if you aren't, and unnoticeable between other gears under . . . let's call it "moderate enthusiasm" using maybe 80% of redline and shifting carefully but reasonably quickly.


On re-reading Midblue's original thoughts it also occurs to me that if NLS was calibrated more for the straight line crowd it's not going to suit the corner-carvers - or those who drive less "brutally" - nearly as well.

When the revs are intentionally held higher than the next gear requires, you gain a brief acceleration spike as flywheel inertia converts to additional driveline torque as it decelerates to the rpm that matches road speed. This spike is also what helps you chirp the tires on a harsh upshift. But it isn't particularly useful at autocross or out on the big tracks where smoothness is the preferred quality and where reducing shift time to some absolute minimum normally isn't all that important.


Norm

Well said.
__________________
'18 1SS 1LE Black, PDR
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:01 PM   #109
Cmsirois18
 
Cmsirois18's Avatar
 
Drives: ‘19 SS 1LE
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 9
What is the target RPM for ‘19 SS 1LE?
Cmsirois18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:51 PM   #110
vtirocz

 
vtirocz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Indy
Posts: 1,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmsirois18 View Post
What is the target RPM for ‘19 SS 1LE?
Almost certainly 5000rpm - same as the '17-'18.
__________________
2017 Camaro 1SS, M6, Hurst shifter, Hyper Blue, NPP, Gray Split Spoke Wheels
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.