Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-01-2019, 04:12 PM   #15
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yessa View Post
1801 Total produced or each year produced ?
Thats total over two years. Also, have you driven a ZLE yet? You made it sound as you have, but, the settings do zero things to the suspension of the car. The ZLE is the tightest sprung car EVER by GM. This means the ride comfort will ‘decrease’ compared to a Z/28. Not sure how the ‘more comfortable’ comes into play? Could be a placebo affect? Not bashing you, honestly, just making you aware that a ZLE is in theory more harsh that a Z/28 and that the driving modes do nothing to a DSSV damper. They are mechanical.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:19 PM   #16
Yessa

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercup View Post
1801 total produced - 54 confirmed write offs - so only 1,747 remain and as many as 10 more in question.
I agree that the limited number of Z/28s produced means a high probability for collector status one day in the future over ZL1s or ZLEs.
Yessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:21 PM   #17
Yessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercup View Post
The ZL1 1LE does not have a "tour" setting.
My friend you are in error. I test drove an Automatic ZL1 1LE yesterday and sure enough it has a >Tour< setting in the Navigation.

The Tour setting was noticeably less harsh than my Z/28.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:27 PM   #18
Yessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970judge View Post
Thats total over two years. Also, have you driven a ZLE yet? You made it sound as you have, but, the settings do zero things to the suspension of the car. The ZLE is the tightest sprung car EVER by GM. This means the ride comfort will ‘decrease’ compared to a Z/28. Not sure how the ‘more comfortable’ comes into play? Could be a placebo effect? Not bashing you, honestly, just making you aware that a ZLE is in theory more harsh that a Z/28 and that the driving modes do nothing to a DSSV damper. They are mechanical.
I test drove an Automatic ZL1 1LE yesterday and sure enough it has a >Tour< setting in the Navigation.

To me, the >Tour< setting seemed noticeably less harsh of a ride than my Z/28 but I could be wrong, so again I'm just mulling it over if I should pull the trigger on the ZL1 1LE or stay with my Z/28.

I appreciate your feedback my friend.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:29 PM   #19
Yessa

Quote:
Thats total over two years. Also, have you driven a ZLE yet? You made it sound as you have, but, the settings do zero things to the suspension of the car. The ZLE is the tightest sprung car EVER by GM. This means the ride comfort will ‘decrease’ compared to a Z/28. Not sure how the ‘more comfortable’ comes into play? Could be a placebo affect? Not bashing you, honestly, just making you aware that a ZLE is in theory more harsh that a Z/28 and that the driving modes do nothing to a DSSV damper. They are mechanical.
Sorry, I'm not following you. How will the ride decrease on a ZLE over a Z/28?
Old 06-01-2019, 04:30 PM   #20
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: 15 Z/28 #934
Quote:
My friend you are in error. I test drove an Automatic ZL1 1LE yesterday and sure enough it has a >Tour< setting in the Navigation.

The Tour setting was noticeably less harsh than my Z/28.
It may have a "tour" setting - but it does nothing to the suspension - which is DSSV fixed dampers heavy springs and solid bushings.

The ZL1 has active suspension - the ZLE does not - if it rode better in your impression than your Z - then that may well be how you view it, which is great. But that had nothing to do with "tour" setting in the navigation.

You can read up on the differences in the ZL1 and ZL1 1LE suspensions here:
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/04/...-ride-control/
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:34 PM   #21
1970judge

Quote:
Sorry, I'm not following you. How will the ride decrease on a ZLE over a Z/28?
The soring rate is higher on a ZLE as opposed to a Z/28, so again ‘in theory’ would be harsher than a Z/28. Thats NOT to say that maybe it ‘feels’ smoother to you. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What you could be feeling is many things. All the things that make a ride smooth or rough. Roads, pot holes, tires, weight, suspension geometry, chassis design...etc. So if it FELT better, by all means get one. But, i just wanted to be clear..the settings so NOTHING to the suspension on a ZLE. DSSV dampers are mechanical. Now. Regular ZL1 with mag ride..sure. But not a 1LE equipped car.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:51 PM   #22
Yessa

Quote:
The soring rate is higher on a ZLE as opposed to a Z/28, so again ‘in theory’ would be harsher than a Z/28. Thats NOT to say that maybe it ‘feels’ smoother to you. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What you could be feeling is many things. All the things that make a ride smooth or rough. Roads, pot holes, tires, weight, suspension geometry, chassis design...etc. So if it FELT better, by all means get one. But, i just wanted to be clear..the settings so NOTHING to the suspension on a ZLE. DSSV dampers are mechanical. Now. Regular ZL1 with mag ride..sure. But not a 1LE equipped car.
Interesting explaining and thanks. But there is an online article by GM that says the new Automatic ZLE offers this >Tour< mode because the ZLE Diff is different than a stick ZLE and according to that article the >Touring< mode does make the ZLE a softer ride. Did you read that article?

Fyi: I really enjoy my Z/28 and it's rarity on the roads today.

Hard decision either way.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:52 PM   #23
Yessa

Quote:
The soaring rate is higher on a ZLE as opposed to a Z/28, so again ‘in theory’ would be harsher than a Z/28. Thats NOT to say that maybe it ‘feels’ smoother to you. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What you could be feeling is many things. All the things that make a ride smooth or rough. Roads, pot holes, tires, weight, suspension geometry, chassis design...etc. So if it FELT better, by all means get one. But, i just wanted to be clear..the settings so NOTHING to the suspension on a ZLE. DSSV dampers are mechanical. Now. Regular ZL1 with mag ride..sure. But not a 1LE equipped car.
When you say "soaring rate". Sorry, I don't follow you.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:04 PM   #24
Yessa

Another bit of info: Test driving the 2019 ZLE 1LE yesterday, I felt like I was considerable lower sitting (driver seat) in the ZLE over my Z/28. Interestingly enough my Z/28 feels much higher, driving, seating position, etc.

Anyone know why?
Old 06-01-2019, 05:25 PM   #25
1970judge

Quote:
When you say "soaring rate". Sorry, I don't follow you.
Should say Spring rate, sorry i’m on my phone.

Sitting lower? No idea. Ive been in both. The cockpits are different, but I didnt feel lower.

I assume the article youre referencing is this? https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us...amaro-zl1.html
Old 06-01-2019, 05:54 PM   #26
Yessa

Quote:
I assume the article you're referencing is this?

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us...amaro-zl1.html
No. That is not the article I read.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:58 PM   #27
Yessa

Any advice if I keep my Z/28. And if I wanted to add a little more horsepower but in a modest tasteful way without adding a big Cam -- Not too loud but say another 100 more or less horses?

People I know recommend Redline Motorsports in Pompano Beach.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:10 PM   #28
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I would take the ZL1 1LE in a second. Its a way better car. Not as rare but way more fun to drive. The older I get the more I care about having fun and driving my cars. I use to try and keep the miles down to keep the values. Not anymore. Get the car that makes you excited and drives better. I bought one a few months back but went for a M6 because I enjoy going through gears. Get the ZLE you won't look back.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote