Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-18-2019, 11:04 PM   #1
BenLC

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Removing the hockey stripes?

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place, I've never used a forum like this. So I just bought a 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS, and I absolutely love it, but I'm not sure I like the hockey stripes on the sides. I'm considering removing them, but I'm concerned about damaging the paint, as well as the possibility of the paint underneath being slightly brighter. The car is insanely clean, with only one owner before me, and 11k miles on the clock. I don't know for sure if it was garaged it's whole life, but considering how pristine it is, I'd say it's a safe bet. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Edit: I did see there are others that have asked similar questions, but not on a car that's almost 10 years old.

Last edited by BenLC; 08-19-2019 at 12:01 PM.
BenLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:12 AM   #2
Quicksilver2SS

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 NPP
The paint should be preserved under the stripes, the rest of the paint could be sun faded depending on how the car was stored, possible ghosting will be seen after stripe removal. 99% sure a heat gun would soften the stripes enough for peel back removal.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:08 PM   #3
BenLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver2SS View Post
The paint should be preserved under the stripes, the rest of the paint could be sun faded depending on how the car was stored, possible ghosting will be seen after stripe removal. 99% sure a heat gun would soften the stripes enough for peel back removal.
Yeah, the paint underneath should be, I had it backwards. I'm sure removing them wouldn't be too difficult, it's really just the ghosting that I'm worried about.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:54 PM   #4
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLC View Post
Yeah, the paint underneath should be, I had it backwards. I'm sure removing them wouldn't be too difficult, it's really just the ghosting that I'm worried about.
A good polishing ought to get rid of any outlines you see. Personally I'd go straight for the rubbing compound then finish by "fading out" to the rest of the paint with a polish.

Do you have an orbital/buffer? If not you can just get some microfibers towels and do by hand.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:03 PM   #5
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Rip it off. I don't think you'll see all that much difference on a car like this. It's not too terribly old, you don't look like you live in a crazy sunny state where UV damage to the clear coat would be a possibility.

The most you might see is that the clear actually doesn't have fine scratches like the rest of the car might, and you should be able to just do some minor paint correction to bring the rest of the car up to the same standard.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:48 PM   #6
AJARMAN

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
I recently purchased a yellow 2010 and the original owner had put the red SS badges under "camaro" on each side. I removed them with eraser wheel and there was heavy ghosting. Had a full detail with paint correction and polish and its like they were never there. Also, removed the gill decals and detail took the ghosting away.
AJARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:58 AM   #7
BenLC

Alright, thanks for all the responses!
Old 09-03-2019, 10:24 PM   #8
rdanzel

Drives: 2010
The ghosting can't be removed completely but you can make it a lot less visible. Use compound then polish and wax.
rdanzel is offline   Reply With Quote