Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-20-2019, 04:09 PM   #1
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
Help Replacing Drivers Side Seat back Cover OEM

I believe the foam padding for the seats are attached to the seat covers, correct me if I'm wrong. The outside padding on the drivers side seat back does not cover the metal frame in one lower spot of the drivers side seat back. I can feel the metal brace on my left side when seated. I tried pushing the foam back into place by unzipping the back of the seat covers and finessing my hand through the wire framing but the padding wont stay in place. Upholstery shop believes I may need to replace the seat cover with foam attached since they believe the foam broke in two pieces.
Q? Do I have to remove the seat from the car, or can I take the entire seat back cover off and replace with a new one with the seat installed? It;s only the seat back, not the bottom seat.
Q2? Disconnect battery when doing this?
Appreciate any help and or pictures. It looks like GM part #22795672 fits 2010-2013 models. I have a 2012 LT RS. Thanks Forum!
Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:37 PM   #2
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
cant just get a piece of foam pushed in there instead of replacing the whole thing? maybe hog ring it so it cant move around if you try this.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:21 AM   #3
VTXrider

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS/RS
Seats and foam are 2 separate parts and can be bought separately. I'm guessing if you foam is moves and separating it is probably because your seat back spring has broken and you are sinking further into the seat. This was common at least in the 2010.

I would have to take the seat out but it might not be necessary. The seat comes our really easy though and makes the job supper simple. There is 2 very large Torx screws in the back of the seat connecting it to the track, the front is just hooked on so when you remove the back bolts, slide the seat back an inch to clear the hooks and disconnect the power harness and it's out.

If the foam has been bad for a while you probably have bad wear in the seat cover in the spot that the metal bar is so you may want to replace that while it is all out of the car it is really easy.

Here is the link for a 2010, I'd re-run this search for a 2012 just in case there have been any changes. If you just change the back spring (assuming it's broken) and the foam it'll cost you about $120 from this site with genuine GM parts. Parts # 4 and 6

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-p...wer-seats-scat
Old 11-21-2019, 02:34 PM   #4
Lacpac

Very helpful. Thank you. I'm taking the seat out this weekend and will assess what needs to be replaced.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:24 AM   #5
Lacpac

Any Idea where this slides back into the seat
Old 12-03-2019, 12:58 PM   #6
Lacpac

Update: Spring broke, Foam is split. Disassembled seat including air bag. Just have to figure out if Hog clips need to be cut and replaced to separate foam from seat cover.
So far $170 into it with parts and shipping. Not as difficult as I thought but another example of stuff not built well enough to withstand daily use. I'm a big guy but not as big as some.