Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-22-2021, 11:18 AM   #1
t_camaro

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro RS 2LT
Axle-back exhaust setup on RS

Hey everyone. I've had my 2012 RS for a while and wanted it to sound better so I did a muffler/resonator delete and put a 2.25 inch x-pipe on it. I like how it sounds, but the startup is way too loud and I know my neighbors don't appreciate me starting it at 7 every morning. I kept both the mufflers and stock h-pipe when I replaced everything in case I wanted to change it back, but I believe the shop I got the work done scrapped the resonators. I don't want it to sound stock, but I certainly don't want it to be this loud anymore. Any suggestions? Sidenote: the car also rattles at idle from around where the x-pipe is. Did I get the wrong size x-pipe to match the rest of the piping of the exhaust system? Thanks in advance everyone!
t_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:36 PM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Did you replace the h-pipe with an x-pipe or a "resonated x-pipe" (muffler with x-pipe in it)? If just an x-pipe then your car will definitely be loud as hell. To make it quieter you could throw a resonated x-pipe in place of the x-pipe (for example, Magnaflow part number 11386).

Adding resonators as opposed to mufflers won't do much for the volume. Even with just one muffler instead of two it'll be a bit loud, but not quite as bad. Another option may be do go with cylinder mufflers on ether side which are not quite as muffling/quiet as oval mufflers.

For the V6 the pipe is 2.5" from the engine to the front of the h-pipe, and 2.25" from the back of the h-pipe to the mufflers.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:45 AM   #3
t_camaro

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro RS 2LT
Thanks for the feedback! I need to find the receipt, but I'm 99% sure I bought the MagnaFlow Tru-X Crossover Pipes which are not resonated I believe. I'm thinking of completely switching the exhaust system as to fix the rattling as well as possible startup noise. A full catback that includes mufflers and resonators but allows for some beef on acceleration. Once the car is warm it sounds good, but again it's just almost to the point of ridiculously loud at startup and drones on trips longer than an hour. If I were to fully replace the exhaust and get a catback, do you have any recommendations for models or companies to go to for the V6 Camaro?
t_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:20 AM   #4
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
My first exhaust was a custom one with the resonated x-pipe, and then 2.5" straight pipe back - it was loud, a little dirty, a little nasty, and droned quite a bit, and I liked it. I currently have Solo Performance full exhaust (cat-back and high-flow cats) and also like it - a bit quieter than my first but still the right amount of loud, a little cleaner, and a lot less drone. The high-flow cats didn't change the sound or volume much.

I could recommend either, although I have a garage to start my car in the morning, and if I were starting my car outside, for the sake of my neighbours, I might suggest something a little quieter, maybe something with two oval mufflers in the back. Can't say from personal experience, but I watched a video of a V6 Camaro with the V8 Magnaflow exhaust and thought it sounded pretty good. I also liked the Flowmaster and MRT exhausts as well, but again I'm only going by videos I've seen.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust axle back, loud exhaust, muffler delete, resonator delete, x pipe