Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 08-19-2016, 05:40 PM   #15
chimazo

Drives: 2016 Ram
On Forgeline centerlocks. Link to product - http://www.forgeline.com/customer_ga...roduct_key=109

chimazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:44 PM   #16
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
Forgeline does do a center lock wheel but like some of the older Corvette's in the 60's it is a bolt on adapter that sits on the rotor hat, and uses a special lug nut as the drive pins for the wheels. If you are looking for lightweight....I wouldn't do it as it is going to add about 4-5 lbs a corner. "real" race cars that use center locks have a special spindle and wheel bearing assembly which is different than the bolt on hubs your car uses.

This is a center lock we did for a Corvette ZR1 from Forgeline

This is the front upright for our ALMS GT2 Corvette that uses a center lock

As for the air jacks...

There are a few different kinds out of them out there, given the weight you are going to need four of them to lift it. You will have to weld the cans onto the frame and brace the hell out of them because they can not move. You will need safety stands and depending on the manufacturer a nitrogen bottle(s) at the wall with at min. 200 psi of pressure to lift the car. You have to plumb it all, if you want quick release it will need blow off valves...the quick fill wand and port someplace on the car to hook into. We had ours under the fenders. Figure to do it right, you'll have approx $6-7000 in parts before install with lines, fittings, stands, wand, slow fill, quick fill, blow offs....so yeah not cheap.
Anthony @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:14 PM   #17
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG1LE View Post
Custom hubs, or OE hubs with a conversion kit?

A combination of OE and custom. It requires dissembling the stock hubs and machining a new center section.

Name:  c6rs hubs 002 (Medium).JPG
Views: 951
Size:  96.9 KB

Name:  c6rs hubs 003 (Medium).JPG
Views: 830
Size:  92.2 KB

Name:  c6rs hubs 005 (Medium).JPG
Views: 894
Size:  90.7 KB

Name:  c6rs hubs 001 (Medium).JPG
Views: 900
Size:  102.1 KB

Last edited by Moreno1; 08-19-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:35 PM   #18
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by www.MorenoMotorsports.com View Post
A combination of OE and custom. It requires dissembling the stock hubs and machining a new center section.

Attachment 815713

Attachment 815714

Attachment 815715

Attachment 815712
Amazing work, as usual
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:31 AM   #19
pat_t

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by www.MorenoMotorsports.com View Post

Attachment 815713

Attachment 815714

Attachment 815715

Attachment 815712
Yes, nice work... this looks a much better way of doing it than bolt-on adaptors.

So now you've done the hard work couldn't you fit a wide range of centrelock wheels to that hub, what limits it to Forgeline wheels?

There are (literally) stacks of used centrelock wheels on ebay over here (UK):

Just need to find the most common fitment, I imagine it might be a Porsche size...
pat_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:53 AM   #20
pat_t

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony @ LG Motorsports View Post
As for the air jacks...

There are a few different kinds out of them out there, given the weight you are going to need four of them to lift it. You will have to weld the cans onto the frame and brace the hell out of them because they can not move. You will need safety stands and depending on the manufacturer a nitrogen bottle(s) at the wall with at min. 200 psi of pressure to lift the car. You have to plumb it all, if you want quick release it will need blow off valves...the quick fill wand and port someplace on the car to hook into. We had ours under the fenders. Figure to do it right, you'll have approx $6-7000 in parts before install with lines, fittings, stands, wand, slow fill, quick fill, blow offs....so yeah not cheap.
Yep, I can sort the bottle, plumbing, lance etc easily enough.

any suggestions for locations for bracing in the jack tubes?

rears can probably go at the red points ok. Fronts I'm not sure if there would be space at the red points? Blue ones might be better? Going to have to wait until I have the car to measure up before finalising any plans by the look of it.

DTM M3 from a couple of years back had a big V8 up front and looks like the front points are fairly close together...
pat_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:46 PM   #21
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG1LE View Post
Amazing work, as usual
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat_t View Post
Yes, nice work... this looks a much better way of doing it than bolt-on adaptors.

So now you've done the hard work couldn't you fit a wide range of centrelock wheels to that hub, what limits it to Forgeline wheels?

There are (literally) stacks of used centrelock wheels on ebay over here (UK):

Just need to find the most common fitment, I imagine it might be a Porsche size...
Those are not our hubs, but hubs made by Pratt and miller for their C6RS corvettes a few years back. We are looking to do something similar
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:45 AM   #22
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreno Brothers View Post

Attachment 815713

Attachment 815714

Attachment 815715

Attachment 815712

SKF was going to do that some time ago, and from what I understand have all of the drawings and work done to do them. They were telling us, bearings were going to be approx $1400-1700 ea and it would look similar to that.

I don't know if they have ever done a run of them yet or not.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:49 AM   #23
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat_t View Post
Yep, I can sort the bottle, plumbing, lance etc easily enough.

any suggestions for locations for bracing in the jack tubes?

rears can probably go at the red points ok. Fronts I'm not sure if there would be space at the red points? Blue ones might be better? Going to have to wait until I have the car to measure up before finalising any plans by the look of it.

DTM M3 from a couple of years back had a big V8 up front and looks like the front points are fairly close together...

1. They need to be mounted to the frame, not knowing what the BMW looks like with it's body off...hard to say but I'm sure it was mounted along a frame wall.

2. Get them as close to the axle center lines as you can to make sure it's stable when you get it up in the air.

3. Need to be mounted were the air lines can be routed out of the way of moving parts and so they would be safe as can be in the event of a blow out, fender bender.....so you can actually use them during the race if people start playing bumper cars.

Tags
air jacks, centerlock