Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
masterofpuppets
Pulling your strings

Drives: My girlfriend crazy with car talk
PCV Valve problems

Think I've finally found the culprit of my throttle hesitation/rough idol issues. Think it's my pcv valve. I'm running an RX catch can and still I found oil in my intake and IM the other day. Only question is, and hopefully this isn't as stupid as I think it is, how do i check it? The valve is on the top at the back of the passenger side, correct? Can't figure out how to pull it. 52,000 miles so it'd make sense I'd have problems, right?
Old 03-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
The only "check" I know of on a PCV is that it "clicks" easily when you shake it up and down. Its just a weighted valve that supposed to pop open when pressure builds beneath it.

They're usually cheap- if you're unsure, I'd just replace it.

However, if its stuck open your catch can should have alot of oil in it.
If its stuck closed, I'm not sure how oil got to the IM.

You're sure the catch can is correctly hooked up, and funtioning properly?
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
masterofpuppets
Pulling your strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
The only "check" I know of on a PCV is that it "clicks" easily when you shake it up and down. Its just a weighted valve that supposed to pop open when pressure builds beneath it.

They're usually cheap- if you're unsure, I'd just replace it.

However, if its stuck open your catch can should have alot of oil in it.
If its stuck closed, I'm not sure how oil got to the IM.

You're sure the catch can is correctly hooked up, and funtioning properly?
Yeah it's hooked up properly, and it collects a fair amount of oil.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
Ventmaster

You've got the right location and they do wear out. I haven't looked closely at ours, but they usually just sit in a rubber grommet (sp?).

You could drop Rx a PM and check, it might be some twist and lock, but I expect it just yanks right out of there!

Of course, then it will click just fine from all the tugging and such...
Old 03-08-2012, 12:42 AM   #5
masterofpuppets
Pulling your strings

Yeah, it doesn't look like its a pull out. Could be wrong. Plus it's got the stupid plastic tubing :/
Old 03-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Masterofpuppets... The can will not collect ALL the oil just most of it. Some vapors may still make their way into the intake manifold.
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #7
masterofpuppets
Pulling your strings

There was a good amount of oil in the intake an IM. I've been having some other issues that seem like could be related (hesitation, rough idle) to the pcv.....I hope. Plugs, injector cleaner, cleaned MAF, intake manifold. Plus, I'm at 52,000 miles with very mixed driving. Lots of traffic followed by driving it like I stole it. So it makes sense it could be bad.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
Given that our engine is driect injected my guess woudl be carbon build up is causing the issues. the oil in the IM is normal for our cars.

Have your tried Seafoam yet? Lots of folks say its a must have thing to do to our engines.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
There is no PCV valve. At the end of the tube is an orifice. They call it an orificed PCV tube. You could check the PCM plumbing for vacuum leaks if you think there is a problem there.

What's the oil consumption? More than 2 qts in 2000 miles? Thats a better indicator of an oil consumption problem, not just oil in the intake. That is normal to a certain degree, catch can or not.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #10
Ventmaster

Don't have a catch can myself, but Rx's add sez their's is the "only catch can with an integrated PCV/check valve to ensure the flow/metering that the LLT's require."

Things are getting curiouser and curiouser...
Old 03-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #11
masterofpuppets
Pulling your strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by formare View Post
Have your tried Seafoam yet? Lots of folks say its a must have thing to do to our engines.
Not yet. Was just reading about that actually. I'm back to square one. The problem seems like its getting worse, so a build up makes sense.

I'm out of ideas. Vacuum leak, carbon build up - seems to be where to go now
Old 03-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #12
masterofpuppets
Pulling your strings

Full can of seafoam is working through her. Going to test for vacuum leaks when it's not 40something outside. Also, a friend of mine suggested pulling my plugs again. I pulled the front of the drivers side and that's all. I had forgotten till he reminded me that I was running a lean condition for a while because of my MAF and intake taking a crap on me. So I'm going to pull all six.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:58 PM   #13
wsmith

Drives: 2011 LS
Oil in throttle body, IM and intake

Hey everyone, this seems like the right place to post this.

I pulled off my throttle body to install an older one (VMAX that made no difference, hence the stock one) I had laying around. I switched them after having intermittent "Reduced Power" warnings and check engine light as well corresponding temporary reduction in power. I took it to the dealer and they said the codes came back indicating a problem with the throttle body and catalytic converters. As I was putting the old TB on I noticed some oil inside the intake manifold, on the TB and a little in the intake that appears to be coming out of the PCV hose. All of the posts I've looked at regarding this issue involve people who have catch cans installed but I don't so I am wondering if this is a issue with my PCV valve? Has anyone had a similar issue to this and is and should I be worried? I have a 2011 LS V6 with 105,000 miles.

The pictures came in sideways for some reason.

Thanks
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2018, 01:55 PM   #14
cawengr

Drives: Classy
The 3.6 has been notorious for getting oil into the intake system.
First of all there is no PCV valve like older cars, there is a Crankcase Ventilation orifice that limits the flow of air goes into the crankcase.
The reason people use oil catch cans is to precipitate the oil out of the air stream prior to getting into the intake manifold.
Up to 2013 the Crankcase Ventilation Orifice was too small creating high velocity picking up too much crankcase oil as it was ventilating the crankcase, in 2013 GM increased the holes in the orifice thereby slowing down the velocity and also the amount of oil. A good catch can will help in reducing the oil in the intake.
You can also remove the orifice and drill out the holes to the new sizes.
cawengr is offline   Reply With Quote