Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
RexZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Clutch Chatter?

I just turned 1500 a couple of weeks ago. I did more than what was called for during the break-in period, but have been really hittin it hard since 1500.
I've noticed that when shifting from 2 to 3 at or near redline I get a little chatter or something in the clutch. I've heard people talk about noise coming from the clutch and that it is normal with the Dual clutch.
Is this what they're talkin about. Not quite a grind, just sort of a chatter..real short about a half second.
RexZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:20 AM   #2
Jontall

Drives: GTO
The clutch is probably glazed and it happens all the time because of traffic. Beat on it a little to break the glaze.
Jontall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:08 AM   #3
silver surfer ZL1

Drives: 2013 silver ZL1
The clutch is probably just glazed over real good, since presumably you took it real easy on the clutch during break in. These clutches are built to perform (dual friction) so therefore you need to beat on them to create heat quick develops a rougher surface for better friction. So I would suggest you go do a couple good launches from a slow roll or stand still vs a 60 punch.

Good luck and keep us posted on the status of your situation
silver surfer ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
RexZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver surfer ZL1 View Post
The clutch is probably just glazed over real good, since presumably you took it real easy on the clutch during break in. These clutches are built to perform (dual friction) so therefore you need to beat on them to create heat quick develops a rougher surface for better friction. So I would suggest you go do a couple good launches from a slow roll or stand still vs a 60 punch.

Thanks, I probably do more 60 launches and less 0-60, so that's good info. Good to know it really likes being beaten on!
Old 09-17-2013, 01:08 AM   #5
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver surfer ZL1 View Post

When you do a slow roll, are you saying just rolling in first gear with the clutch out (foot off the clutch) and punch it? That sounds fun. Haven't tried that yet.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:36 AM   #6
silver surfer ZL1

Drives: 2013 silver ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnice View Post
When you do a slow roll, are you saying just rolling in first gear with the clutch out (foot off the clutch) and punch it? That sounds fun. Haven't tried that yet.
Im talking about rolling from a light or stop sign, press in the clutch, preferably in second gear and border line dump it. this way you aren't trying too launch it on the street (it wont- just creates a wild slippery ride)

or the better safer option would be to try the launch control

just remember- Safety First
silver surfer ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
RexZL1

It's gonna put you in a ditch if you try to punch it in 1st at a slow roll. My car spins the back tires and activates the traction control when I punch it in 3rd at 60.