Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-14-2008, 10:01 AM   #43
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010
Z28 Hold Out!

Drives: 2000 Monte Carlo SS
I had a 91 Z28 auto. w/ a 5.7 T.P.I.. That thing was a nightmare in snow and ice. I would stop a light and the back tires would keep spinning and I would start drifting into other lanes. Had to take the thing out of drive. I got stuck a any kind of incline. I live in Kansas, winters are not harsh, but they exists. The 91 had 245 Hp and i think 345 trq.
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:11 AM   #44
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
It is probably easier to drive the newer models because of TCS and the ability to start in second gear (on the A4s.) I take my hat off to anyone who braves those elements in these cars, LOL.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:15 AM   #45
GothamCamaro
Then you're gonna love me

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro Tumbler RS
I'll be driving the Camaro probably for a month in snow every year, cuz either I'm dragging my feet in putting it in the garage for the winter or I jump the gun early and pull the Camaro out before spring!

Anyone that knows of a place that is making the Concept Shifter for the new Camaro. (Auto specifically) Please let me know.

Order# NDTMVP Ordered 10/23/08.
2000 on 5/21/09... It begins.....
4B00 on 6/26/09... In transit to the Cave
5000 on 7/6/09 it waits for my arrival!
1000000 on 7/10/09 The Tumbler is in the Cave!
GothamCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:34 AM   #46
GameOv3r

Drives: 2008 Chevy Aveo
lol F*** that. My Camaro won't be seeing daylight in the winter at all. I live in Colorado and snow is always SO unpredictable....even in the damn spring lol. My Camaro may just be a summer car, unless I am off work and can continually monitor the weather. I can't tell you how many times I've gone to work and it's hot outside (even have to roll my windows down) then go look outside on my break and there is like 5 inches on the ground :(
GameOv3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:25 PM   #47
JustinZS

Drives: waitin on 2010 !!
Just how impractical is it to use the Camaro as a daily driver? Obviously RWD is not too great in winter weather but I've seen friends with BMWs and other RWD cars do it with a nice set of blizzak snow tires and some intelligent driving. I've been considering making this car my daily driver. Located in CT.
JustinZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:52 PM   #48
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinS View Post
Just how impractical is it to use the Camaro as a daily driver? Obviously RWD is not too great in winter weather but I've seen friends with BMWs and other RWD cars do it with a nice set of blizzak snow tires and some intelligent driving. I've been considering making this car my daily driver. Located in CT.
I see people driving chargers, 300's, mustangs, camaros, and firebirds driving all year round. People managed to drive rwd cars in snow for decades, and that was before traction control and ABS. Most avoid winter in their beloved cars because of salt, combined with reduced control. I will drive my camaro for 8-9 months of the year, I will avoid salt like the plague.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:27 AM   #49
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Salt = rust. If you are going to drive something nice in it, be ready to keep it CLEAN.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:01 AM   #50
sickboy

Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28
I love driving RWD cars in the winter, only with good tires though. Nothing beats being able to power oversteer at will! Heck I went through a couple winters in a lowered Miata here in Buffalo, and it did just fine with the right tires (snows). Snow tires will make the car safe and controllable and you'll be surprised at how fun RWD cars can be in the winter. However, you always need to consider what all that salt does to your car. If you plan on keeping it a long time, (and who doesn't?) then you really have to ask yourself if it's worth destroying the car over time by letting the salt eat away at it. Even washing it as much as you can during the winter will only help so much. It's still getting exposed to massive amounts of salt that gets into places where it may not come out with washing the car. Also if you want to do any mods to it, just remember that corroded cars are much more difficult to work on. For me, my current Camaro is parked for the winter, unless there's a day when the roads are relatively dry and free of salt, then she might get woken up.
sickboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:33 AM   #51
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
they dont use salt where Im at in WA. Even if they did Id still drive her. Im from Chicago and Ive never had any problems with rust. Thats where taking care of your car comes into play. Besides I love driving in the snow. If I could afford to have something else to drive in the winter months, I might consider not letting her see the snow....but I doubt Id keep her cooped up all winter
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:43 AM   #52
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
No snow driving for this valley-dweller. TCS or not, no thanks

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:56 PM   #53
SSmoked

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1 #1255
here in toronto the snow gets pretty bad, this year has been the worst. during the last snow storm comin back from a hockey game a guy driven a 4th gen (probly a v6) was having a lot of problems staying striaght on the road, he wasnt going fast but everytime he would seem to hit the gas he would swerve. all was good tho. my mazda pwns in the snow tho winter tire's+snow = controled drifts lmao

EDIT: BROKE THE 150 post mark WOOHOO
Old 03-24-2008, 06:20 PM   #54
lafountain

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2SS/RS
Was doing a google search for a question about the Camaro and it brought me to this thread.

As for the post, I only have a 1995 Camaro and here in Idaho the Winters are sometimes pretty bad but they don't use salt on the roads, just sand. I have owned this car since 1996 and it has made it through many winters without problem (of course many of those were in North Carolina and Georgia, but quite a few were in Vermont and Idaho). The car has something to do with how it handles the winters, but the driver is the key component.
lafountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:53 AM   #55
LS9CamaroSS

Drives: Cavalier RS
ugh no way in hell am i gonna drive the camaro in the winter up here salt combined with an annual Golden Snowball winning city (yes this is a real award... awarded to the large city with the most snowfall every year) the lake effect in Syracuse is enough to drive any person insane... hell we'll have snow on the ground for another few weeks here... I definitely feel dragoneye on this seeing as we get similar weather. i think i'll keep my cavi for now and hope to god i can afford the insurance on that and the camaro... if not i'll take it off the road in mid-late april and change everything to the camaro then in mid nov, if we haven't gotten any snow yet, i'll put the cav on the road again... word to the wise, sand or salt don't put the camaro on the road in the winter... the sand has rocks in it and that will ruin the pain, and the salt will just eat it away... too many a good F-bods have died that way up here...
LS9CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:33 AM   #56
truvkngfan

Drives: Porsche928,AMV8,Acadia,Accord
Any problems you see with older rwd cars in the snow is typically because they are lacking the technologies that are available today such as traction and stability control. These are wonders of the automotive world when it comes to driving in any sort of inclemant (sp?) weather. I spent a day at Ford's Proving ground in Romeo Michigan driver training for our Aston Martin. They had simulated ice and with the controls on, the car would not spin out no matter what I wanted it to do. I haven't been following the technicals enough, but I would assume that these will be available on the new Camaro.
truvkngfan is offline   Reply With Quote