Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-17-2014, 01:33 PM   #15
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
See above, heat extractors definitely help.

But to add to the other discussion, I have also been around the world, and Southern Louisiana, on the Gulf of Mexico is the hottest of all. 105 degrees with a billion % humidity is no joke (Florida is the same story, anywhere around the Gulf/Swap).

Dry heat doesnt bother me at all, even at 110 degrees.

This ^, Iraq's Dry Heat as well as Afghanistan's pushed high 120's low 130s at times and that is hot as F***, still worse around the gulf mid July early August imop.

And as he said, every bit of heat extraction/dissipation help. Hex Vents are solid, as well some of the hoods (Terminator/RK Sport Ram Air/MPD Makes one)... every bit of heat you can pull away will help.
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #16
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
See above, heat extractors definitely help.

But to add to the other discussion, I have also been around the world, and Southern Louisiana, on the Gulf of Mexico is the hottest of all. 105 degrees with a billion % humidity is no joke (Florida is the same story, anywhere around the Gulf/Swap).

Dry heat doesnt bother me at all, even at 110 degrees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birm View Post
This ^, Iraq's Dry Heat as well as Afghanistan's pushed high 120's low 130s at times and that is hot as F***, still worse around the gulf mid July early August imop.

And as he said, every bit of heat extraction/dissipation help. Hex Vents are solid, as well some of the hoods (Terminator/RK Sport Ram Air/MPD Makes one)... every bit of heat you can pull away will help.
I will tell you, the absolute worst place for heat.....above the boiler flats on a US Naval ship, underway, mid-July, in the Gulf of Oman, repairing an electric motor, wearing long sleeve (light-weight) coveralls. Hotter than hell, humid as Louisiana/Florida, and noisy as a jet fighter. Plain old suck-fest!!!

But, to the original question. I had Hex Vents installed in May, at the 'Fest, and I did not have the rain diverters installed, and I think they are awesome. I don't have any kind of water spotting issues under hood, and believe me, I'd tell you if I did. I like looking at my engine, detailing it look nice, etc. Hex Vents rock!!

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:54 PM   #17
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birm View Post
Been there, Afghanistan is worse... but the humidity of Florida mid-summer takes the cake. Not many hot places I haven't been
Never went to Afghanistan so I can't compare. Port a Johns out there is a heat stroke waiting to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenningJ View Post
HPE HexVents FTW!

I drive my car year round and I haven't had any issues with water. You can see the heat pouring out of the vents at stoplights. I can only imagine what it would look like with the added heat from a supercharger.
Looks good Jason. I need to figure out what i am going to do to mine to get rid of all the added heat from the cam. Looking at a different hood.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:21 AM   #18
Blueforce

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS 6M
When you guys say hex vents, are you talking about the ones you diy into the hood yourself? Or a brand new hood with hex vents in them?
Blueforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:39 AM   #19
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
I had the Hex Vents on my previous Camaro and I really liked them. I was going to go with them again on my this Camaro but couldn't get responses on some questions I had about the new vent trays and alternative locations with them so I went with the 2014 extractor and really love it!
The install is easy, you can get the parts for less than $150.00 and the DIY on the Forum is on the money. I run the OEM rain tray as well and the way it's set up, the water flows in and is dumped in front of the radiator. I don't usually have my whip out in the rain but should I get caught I know water is a non-factor. The OEM tray is large enough to take a lot of water and funnel it out and I don't think water will ever be too much for a shallow tray with a small hole for the water to trickle through.

I'm getting a lot of complements on the install and when stopped in traffic I see the heat pouring out from the vents. The motor seems to be running a lot cooler.
It's all good so choose wisely and stay thirsty.
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2014, 09:43 AM   #20
lownslowss
PaPa Smurf

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Where did you purchase the 2014 heat extractor?
Old 09-18-2014, 10:06 AM   #21
chozn4service

I was originally getting it from GMPARTSPLUS but the shop got it locally from a dealership for around $130.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2014, 11:09 AM   #22
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chozn4service View Post
I was originally getting it from GMPARTSPLUS but the shop got it locally from a dealership for around $130.

So you did the install with the DIY, or did you have a shop do it?

If a shop did it for you, how much was it?

I love the look, your car looks great!! I will admit I am REALLY reluctant to cut in to my hood. It was hard enough cutting the rear bumper for my ZL1 difusser install and that is nothing in comparison I think.

Thanks for posting and good job man!
Old 09-18-2014, 11:15 AM   #23
chozn4service

Thanks! I was prepared to do it myself but do to my work schedule I didn't have the time. I had a local shop do it for me and I won't say what the cost was but it was more economical to go this way with my budget than get a new hood.
Just ball park it was parts and the labor which was reasonable but again, I was gong to do it myself like I did the fender vents.