Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
redhotcandy

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
re: K&N 63 series cai

Hi, this is my first post! I'll try to condense my issue...Installed a K&N cai in my 2010 LS in June http://www.autoanything.com/air-inta...intake-systems. Shorty afterwards, my CEL light came on and stayed on (thought the computer would recognize, but never did) so I took it to the dealership. They said it was "running lean" and they reset the code. About two days later, it came on again and stayed on. I left it for a few weeks but then after a very heavy rainfall, my "service stabilitrac" came on along with three codes re: traction control and stabilitrac. After two more weeks, all codes were still showing and my dash looked like a Christmas tree! Took it in last week and of course the morning I went out to start the car to take it to the dealership...NO CODES SHOWED AT ALL! (I took pics of the codes lit up just in case) I took it in anyway. The service guy came out and said the computer showed no events whatsoever and he was stumped. He told me to bring it back as soon as anything showed again. About three miles down the road after leaving, ALL CODES LIT UP AGAIN. I turned around and went back. They checked and he came back out and told me to get rid of the cai. He said the O2 sensors were going off and the computer wasn't recognizing the aftermarket part and it was causing all the codes to show. He kept saying "this isn't a race car, you don't need a cai." That annoyed me because I'm not trying to turn my V6 into a race car, just want to increase hp a little and maybe better gas mileage. ANYWAY, he said until I get the cai off of my car, I will be throwing codes all the time. The week prior to the last visit to the dealership, I emailed, then spoke with a rep from K&N about the problem and he suggested I go with the 69 series cai http://www.autoanything.com/air-inta...intake-systems, and that should alleviate any further code problems. Something to do with the size of the tube or something. I had read on the forum about switching out the two models and there not being any issues from then on with codes. I received the 69 series yesterday and will be switching that out tonight. Oh, and btw, with the 63 series, once and awhile I get a slight hesitation when I accelerate from a stop, does that have anything to do with the "running lean" he mentioned? Any opinions, suggestions, or experiences with a similar event? I'm hoping this cai does the trick!
redhotcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
I tried to install the same CAI twice and I could'nt get rid of the CEL.

Only explnation I had is that my car is a very early production, Vin # 602 and that the computor is somekind different from later production.

I did sell it to a friend and I insalled it myself and he had no CEL at all.

One thing I can recommand is to re-do the installation from zéro but make sure taht the NEGATIVE battery connection (in the trunk) is disconnested.

If that does'nt work, it might be for the same reason I had a CEL.

You vin# is a less that 5,000 it could be the same as I have.

I know that cars from vin# 7,000 + have different set ups like the windshield remote connection box. Early production had a vertical box and later a horizontal box...

Also I tried to connect sequantial rear lights module,and the computor gave me me an error, light burnt, while it was not burnt at all. Same thing here, the computor configuration is different for the rear lights and if they don't go on at the same time, the computor "thinks" that a light is burnt....

Check you Vin#.

That's all I can say on this matter.

Good Luck.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
redhotcandy

Thanks, I'll check the VIN. Would be just my luck...
Old 09-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
redhotcandy

btw, where on the VIN do I look to find if it's above or below?
Old 09-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
maybe you have one of the week maf's. Did you triple check the install to make sure everything is sealed nice and tight?
Old 09-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #6
redhotcandy

Yes, it's all been double checked regarding the install. How do I know if I have a weak MAF?
Old 09-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
montreal2010yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotcandy View Post
btw, where on the VIN do I look to find if it's above or below?
Look at the last 5 digits that are just after the number 1 (sixth digit before last)

ex.

100602 means 602

157123 means 57 123

up tp 99 999

for 2010
Old 09-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
montreal2010yellow

Link weak MAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by justa25thTA View Post
maybe you have one of the week maf's. Did you triple check the install to make sure everything is sealed nice and tight?
Check this link

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...light=weak+maf
Old 09-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #9
redhotcandy

mine is: 176503 So, I'm guessing it's an early build model? I was reading about weak vs strong MAF sensors. I guess a single letter indicates a weak MAF and a letter with a number indicates a strong MAF which in turn improves the performance of the installed cai. I'll have to check mine when I get home from work. I guess GM isn't covering the MAF if you happen to have a weak one.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
montreal2010yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotcandy View Post
mine is: 176503 So, I'm guessing it's an early build model? I was reading about weak vs strong MAF sensors. I guess a single letter indicates a weak MAF and a letter with a number indicates a strong MAF which in turn improves the performance of the installed cai. I'll have to check mine when I get home from work. I guess GM isn't covering the MAF if you happen to have a weak one.
your car is number 76 503 so it's not an early version.

Appart of the AMF I beleive that you sholud start by re installing the CAI but make sure to disconnect the battery.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #11
redhotcandy

OH! Okay, I see...sorry, had it backwards. Yes, we will be taking out the 63 series tonight anyway and putting in the 69 series, so we will be sure and triple check the install. Thank you for your help!
Old 09-08-2011, 07:51 PM   #12
Kicknyoace

Drives: 2013 Black 2LT/RS
Intake

Ok, so I have the 63 series and have had it for 4 months and have thrown the code about 4 times. I have reinstalled it once and just keep resetting the car. It went on again today so I called K & N and they are gonna ship me the typhoon. They said the 63 series doesn't agree with some sensative camaros so I guess I am lucky enough to have a sensitive Camaro, lol. It is on back order for 6 weeks so the wait begins.
Mods so far:SLP Loudmouth 2 Exhaust, K & N Typhoon CAI, Matte Black Rally Stripes, Tinted Windows, Tinted Tail Lights/ Reflectors, Colored Bowties on Front/ Back/ Wheels, Blue interior dome LED Lights/ Footwell Lights.
Kicknyoace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:14 AM   #13
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Threw my 63 on last Nov and to date have not received any CEL. Cant help to wonder if any damage was done to the MAF while install.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #14
redhotcandy

Okay! The K&N Typhoon 69 series cai is in! NOT ONE CODE SO FAR! It's been 5 days...so far so good. By this time with the 63, I had the CEL light on all the time. I hope this has done the trick. BTW, I checked the MAF code to see if I had a weak or strong on while everything was apart and couldn't find anything, but, I was a little scared to take the MAF completely apart. Thought I wouldn't be able to get it back together or that I might break it. Auto Anything is where I got the K&Ns and they have been great to work with, and agreed to switch these out for me. They, by far had the best prices as well. They take $10 off the best price you can find and I found the best price on amazon.com. They match it and then take off an additional ten. I'm just so freakin' happy that my instrument panel isn't all lit up!

Last edited by redhotcandy; 09-10-2011 at 10:10 PM.