Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-27-2014, 11:57 PM   #211
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
I was curious to the air flow through the brake cooling ducts.
So I brought home an anemometer (air flow meter) from work and performed the following, unscientific test.

Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:42 AM   #212
SSSoon

Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
So I brought home an anemometer (air flow meter) from work and performed the following, unscientific test.
Awesome, dude. I was guessing maybe 30-40% loss due to all those curves but it looks like the funneling of air at the mouth might be making up for that. Thank you for posting. I always wondered about this. Now we know.

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:01 PM   #213
driser

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSoon View Post
Awesome, dude. I was guessing maybe 30-40% loss due to all those curves but it looks like the funneling of air at the mouth might be making up for that. Thank you for posting. I always wondered about this. Now we know.
+1...makes me feel a lot better. Thanks
driser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:02 PM   #214
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post

Well done sir
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:15 PM   #215
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
You're welcome!

Since I have this air meter at work, it really was not a big deal to perform this test. Plus, inquiring minds need to know.

Besides, it's the least I could do given all the great install info that I received from this thread.
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:16 AM   #216
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
heres my brake duct build. i ordered the hose and the stainless screen. everything else i did myself. it took about three days. sorry, lots of pics.
Attached Images

JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:20 AM   #217
JOHNSONROD

more pics. i wish i had taken a pic of the front of the car from a little distance. the look of that stainless screen looks trick as heck for cheap. im planning on using it more like if/when i make my hood ducts.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2014, 12:28 PM   #218
Synner

Drives: cars
Finished mine today too. A bit pinched due to my oil cooler lines and big radiator on the driver side but not too much and its away from all moving suspension components.

Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:54 PM   #219
JOHNSONROD

thanks. i took it for a run on the street and it looks ok so far. fresh turned brake rotors and brand new pads. those lil spots on the rotors are just water that got on the rotors cause it was raining. i need to get the track wheels/tires on there for another run. they are wider and lower.
ive got sooo much to do in the next two weeks. i just got a trailer. i have to practice loading, trailering and unloading the car. i have to install a brake box on my truck to control the trailer brakes. flush the radiator, empty the catch can, clean out vararam, make a gopro mount to go on the new cage thats in the way of the old gopro mount. then on the 12th of april, i tow 13 hours one way the first trip outta the box to sebring. this is my first trip to sebring and i just found out that i have two students to work with while trying to learn the track myself. ill have to go out with the race cars for the first session of the day to get enough laps hopefully to not sound retarded to my students on their first run. pray for steve mcqueen to help me on this trip.
oh and i just changed the drivers seat position because at the first run at road atlanta a few weeks ago, it was almost undriveable because i had the seat angle too straight and with my helmet on, it pointed my head at the floor. being a dumb redneck is a very interesting life.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2014, 03:41 PM   #220
SSSoon

Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Finished mine today too. A bit pinched due to my oil cooler lines and big radiator on the driver side but not too much and its away from all moving suspension components.
Looks good Synner. From pic you did not route it through sway bar, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNSONROD View Post
ive got sooo much to do in the next two weeks. i just got a trailer. i have to practice loading, trailering and unloading the car. i have to install a brake box on my truck to control the trailer brakes. flush the radiator, empty the catch can, clean out vararam, make a gopro mount to go on the new cage thats in the way of the old gopro mount. then on the 12th of april, i tow 13 hours one way the first trip outta the box to sebring. this is my first trip to sebring and i just found out that i have two students to work with while trying to learn the track myself. ill have to go out with the race cars for the first session of the day to get enough laps hopefully to not sound retarded to my students on their first run. pray for steve mcqueen to help me on this trip.
oh and i just changed the drivers seat position because at the first run at road atlanta a few weeks ago, it was almost undriveable because i had the seat angle too straight and with my helmet on, it pointed my head at the floor. being a dumb redneck is a very interesting life.
Starting to trailer, huh Johnson? I am starting to wonder what happens the first time I do some serious damage on the track. Would be nice to get it back home. Your trailer have antisway? Seen some scary videos of what can happen at speed with a loaded trailer

Sebring sounds like it'll be fun. You should watch some videos to get prepared before you go - at least so you can get the track in your head.

What seats are you running now?

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:58 PM   #221
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
Correct. There won't be any suspension movement damage with the 3" tubing. Although its definitely tight this way.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:40 AM   #222
JOHNSONROD

Quote:

Starting to trailer, huh Johnson? I am starting to wonder what happens the first time I do some serious damage on the track. Would be nice to get it back home. Your trailer have antisway? Seen some scary videos of what can happen at speed with a loaded trailer

Sebring sounds like it'll be fun. You should watch some videos to get prepared before you go - at least so you can get the track in your head.

What seats are you running now?

its just a simple open wood low deck 18 foot dove tail. it has the heavy axles, 8 ply tires, a break-away brake system and extra long ramps. it should do a good job. it doesnt have any type of anti-sway that i know of. im old now but i used to drag a boat around all the time that was way bigger and longer than this.
my seat are the sparco sprint V. they are for medium to small drivers and they fit us great. they weight 17 pounds and are FIA rated. the new seat bracket seems good and the brakes are feeling good.
thanks to virus and all that put info in here. it was the source that i used for my duct project.
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2014, 01:04 PM   #223
jeremywes

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Nice! Looks just like mine except the wheels. You might also consider a tow hook. If you have trouble It's a pain in the _ss to get your car off the track without one and almost impossible to do it without tearing stuff up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNSONROD View Post
its just a simple open wood low deck 18 foot dove tail. it has the heavy axles, 8 ply tires, a break-away brake system and extra long ramps. it should do a good job. it doesnt have any type of anti-sway that i know of. im old now but i used to drag a boat around all the time that was way bigger and longer than this.
my seat are the sparco sprint V. they are for medium to small drivers and they fit us great. they weight 17 pounds and are FIA rated. the new seat bracket seems good and the brakes are feeling good.
thanks to virus and all that put info in here. it was the source that i used for my duct project.
jeremywes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #224
JOHNSONROD

i need to make me one for sure. maybe ill have time to do that after sebring. it is hard to get the nose off?

Tags
brake, ducts