Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
jda1977

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
CAI installed, 3 questions

Okay finally got the cai, scoop, and washer relocate kit all installed. First ever auto project, went okay (5 hrs, and 4 part store visits later). Of course I pulled my maf and it was a lonely little "q" so I called my dealership and they hand one which has a v1 so I think I'm good there (118$ otd, ouch). 3 questions:

1st is it okay that the cai tube is in contact with the radiator hose? Hose hot as heck but tube seemed cool to touch but worried about the heat conduction but I could not really see a way around in as the tube seems angled as such.

2nd heard the audible sucking noise on first start, now however can't, might be me. However, on ignition switch off I hear a audible back whoosh of air, in my mind sounds like this is what's supposed to happen after shut off of combustion?

3rd at dead idle my tach is lower, 300-500 ish now as opposed to say 600-900 before install, at idle. Is this just the fuel management relearning the cai, and new maf?

Thanks apex for the parts!
jda1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
family man

Drives: .
I'd double check your install. Sounds like you have a leak somewhere. Make sure the intake tube is pushed all the way against the throttle body.
family man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
usnatclee

Drives: '12 2SS/RS, '13 Vette, '13 Wrangler
My CAI inc intake also makes a air release type sound when I turn off the car. I called CAI inc and they said it is normal. They told me it happens on some cars and some cars it doesn't but either way it is nothing to worry about.
2012 Camaro Ashen Grey Metallic 2SS/RS "Timberwolf". Custom exhaust, RX oil catch can and oil breather, CAI inc intake, SLP 160* thermostat, TSP 2" LT headers w/ off road pipes, custom cam, tuned. 467rwhp 450rwtq.

2013 Corvette Torch Red LS3. 378rwhp/375rwtq SAE corrected, tuned.

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!
usnatclee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:40 PM   #4
TECADON

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS/RS
As to the last part about the idle, I would personally do the fuse pull http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38964 just because the fuel trims may need to relearn now that you introduced more air in. Personally even though I tune everything via HPTuners I reset the fuel maps everytime I change a part or the tune, and basically that is what the fuse pull will do for you.

Also like others stated make sure it up good against throttle body as for alignment purposes and no vacuum leaks cause that can cause erratic idle as well.

Yes its quick...quicker then you think!!!
TECADON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:18 AM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jda1977 View Post
Okay finally got the cai, scoop, and washer relocate kit all installed. First ever auto project, went okay (5 hrs, and 4 part store visits later). Of course I pulled my maf and it was a lonely little "q" so I called my dealership and they hand one which has a v1 so I think I'm good there (118$ otd, ouch). 3 questions:

1st is it okay that the cai tube is in contact with the radiator hose? Hose hot as heck but tube seemed cool to touch but worried about the heat conduction but I could not really see a way around in as the tube seems angled as such.

2nd heard the audible sucking noise on first start, now however can't, might be me. However, on ignition switch off I hear a audible back whoosh of air, in my mind sounds like this is what's supposed to happen after shut off of combustion?

3rd at dead idle my tach is lower, 300-500 ish now as opposed to say 600-900 before install, at idle. Is this just the fuel management relearning the cai, and new maf?

Thanks apex for the parts!
Thank you for your order. Sounds like everything is ok.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
jda1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Thank you for your order. Sounds like everything is ok.
thank you for the responses.
Chase, is the radiator hose touching the intake tube okay and normal? Does this cause heat soak or does the ceramic prevent this? I don't see a way to adjust to give it anymore lift to break contact.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:47 AM   #7
IPT

Drives: '02 Trailblazer, '12 Camaro 2SS/RS
nice work - kudos to you. Mine is sitting in a box in my spare room. Car comes out soon though so I'll be doing an install. I'm a relative newbie as well. What is the "q" on the maf all about? Would this be an this an issue on a 2012?
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
jda1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post
nice work - kudos to you. Mine is sitting in a box in my spare room. Car comes out soon though so I'll be doing an install. I'm a relative newbie as well. What is the "q" on the maf all about? Would this be an this an issue on a 2012?
When you take out your mass air flow sensor from the factory box, there will be an indented area with either a single letter or a letter number combo. The single letter units are not able to adapt to the new volume of air a new intake introduces as adequately as the better functioning letter number combo units do. This may cause sub optimal operating after a CAI install. This is what I was able to gleam from reading a massive amount of posts on this board before my install. Chase from apex sells the cheaper than the dealership here but I failed to pull the maf before and look to see what unit I had prior to the install so I paid extra for that lack of prep work... Its easy to pull and check out before hand so make sure you do and save 50$ or so by ordering it from chase ahead of your install if you have the weaker unit.

Tags
cai, maf, scoop