Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-25-2014, 11:07 AM   #1
CamaroBC

Drives: Cyber Grey 2LT RS Coupe
Car Drives Wobbly. Need new Struts?

After hitting a pothole the cars left front wheel side rides wobbly. So new struts. Is that a viable solution? If you have any other theories for solutions, im trying to get them all now before I return to my new mechanic guy, who did a very good job diagnosing my issue. That way I can replace everything at once.

And wheres the best place to get struts?
CamaroBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:30 AM   #2
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
Your mechanic diagnosed the issue. Why do you need additional theories?

GM dealers have all the parts your mechanic will need, including struts.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
CamaroBC

Because im no longer dealing with GM. I brought this issue to GM a long time ago, and they told me nothing was wrong. And I have thus far had no luck in the issue being resolved, and would like to get it all done in one trip, instead of 3 or 4. So If there were any more constructive advice for this sort of thing, Id get those parts as well just to cover all bases.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:04 PM   #4
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
No one here will be able to give you anything other than guesses based on your limited description. Do you have any pictures of the area in question? You said that your mechanic did a very good job of diagnosing your issue. Did he say that the problem is struts or is this your/GM's guess?

I buy my OEM parts online if they are cheaper. If not, I do what the other guy said and just go to the parts counter at the dealership.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:58 PM   #5
CamaroBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse13 View Post
No one here will be able to give you anything other than guesses based on your limited description. Do you have any pictures of the area in question? You said that your mechanic did a very good job of diagnosing your issue. Did he say that the problem is struts or is this your/GM's guess?

I buy my OEM parts online if they are cheaper. If not, I do what the other guy said and just go to the parts counter at the dealership.

There is no visible damage. The steering pulls left and right on bumps, and the is a dead type thud feel on the left side when it hits bumps, its hard to control when it hits bumps, and i feel there is a wobble type of feel to it.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:01 PM   #6
CamaroBC

No in the past GM said there was nothing wrong with the car. Another shop said i needed a new tierod, and then GM said no i dont, and GM never said anything else was wrong with it. Thats why i can no longer count on them for this issue.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:54 PM   #7
SSteven

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBC View Post
There is no visible damage. The steering pulls left and right on bumps, and the is a dead type thud feel on the left side when it hits bumps, its hard to control when it hits bumps, and i feel there is a wobble type of feel to it.
My last car acted like that. Dealer could not figure out the problem. Got it aligned and then tried new tires but neither helped. I researched and made an educated guess that it was the rear shocks. That fixed the problem in my case

Previous Camaro (sold 11/2015): 2012 2SS - Auto/RS/Black/Sunroof/MyLink Nav/SP 1 7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats/Hybrid SW Retro Catback w/Borla Pro XS Mufflers/ADM Dyno Tune/C.A.I. CAI/Vmax Spiral Ported Throttle Body/APEX Catch Can/275x4 Squared Wheel Setup/Custom Fit Full Size Spare/Ceramic Tint
Replaced with 2013 Black Dodge Charger SRT8
SSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:51 PM   #8
Mike.Ss

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Bright Yellow
If you think about it, struts are shocks, and they wear out. Prior car had a 'thunk' at certain times that came and went. Dealer thought issue was wheel bearings. Noise came back after a while. Asked them to check shocks.. they said they were good. I said change them. Car had 60k+ miles.. Guess what. They were not doing anything after they had them out. The suspension was stiff and was hiding the bad shocks.

2014 2SS/RS Bright Yellow
Mods: NEC5 window stickers (+10hp)
Mike.Ss is offline   Reply With Quote