Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 04-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
gizzygone

Drives: Jeep
My Moby Dick: 1993 Z28

My neighbor has had a 1993 camaro z28 since it was brand new. Since about 2000, though, it has just been sitting around in her driveway (she went and bought a Saab to replace it). Since then, it has gotten a paint job, but for the most part it just sits and sits.

Anyways, there's nothing special about it. It's dark green, has a solid roof, fabric interior, and an Auto transmission (not thrilled about it... but hey...).

I have wanted it though, since I was 16. My parents at the time didn't feel it was a safe car (and I'm sure they were right). I then toyed with the idea of purchasing it during college, but instead I bought a jeep. Now I'm a few months away from graduation, and I'm thinking maybe it's time to bite the bullet and buy this puppy.

I don't think she runs well. I'm not sure it's the fuel pump, the alarm or something worse.

It only has about 40K on it, and like I said, it just sits and looks pretty. It's appealing knowing that she hasn't been beat on, and knowing she has been well-taken care of (well.. minus the past 10 years that she's been sitting there... although she did get new paint).

Would you purchase a 1993 camaro z28? Or will it be a money pit?
gizzygone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
40k? Buy it... How much is she asking?

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:44 PM   #3
gizzygone

Not sure... Price has fluctuated, but I'm thinking 3k.

And don't quote me on 40K. It's been sitting there for some time, but it may be as much as 70K miles.... Does that change things?
Old 04-13-2010, 11:31 PM   #4
AlSuwaidi

Drives: BLACK LS3 GCC-Spec
if it has low milage and is cheap go for it.!
AlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:49 PM   #5
Chevyg1rl

Drives: Chevys
I'd buy it and keep the Jeep for winter. I always had 2 cars when I lived in New England and one was always a Camaro.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:16 AM   #6
AlSuwaidi

Drives: BLACK LS3 GCC-Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyg1rl View Post
I'd buy it and keep the Jeep for winter. I always had 2 cars when I lived in New England and one was always a Camaro.

Im with her.. if the price is right of course
AlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:25 AM   #7
gizzygone

Well, my concerns are reliability. It's been sitting around for some time, and I know very little about these 4th gens.

I do know it has trouble starting up. They're not sure if its the fuel pump, the battery, or maybe just the Lo-Jack alarm interrupting the start.

And somebody told me those 93's are notorious for having bad computer modules? (sounds expensive)
Old 04-14-2010, 07:30 AM   #8
02 WS6 TA
Account Suspended

Drives: GM Stuff
Fuel pump. Buy it!
02 WS6 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:34 AM   #9
nascarnate326
Team Green

Drives: 1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Send a message via AIM to nascarnate326
Buy it regardless. If its the car you have grown up wanting and you can get it, then buy it.

In 20 years you dont want to be that guy going "I should have bought that 93 z28 that my neighbor had. it was cloth int, auto....bla bla bla"

I bit the bullet and got what I wanted. its not perfect but its mine. Even if it does need some work, these cars are pretty simple and parts are plentiful for the most part.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:47 AM   #10
SoCalCamaro

Drives: 2002 Camaro
Those 93's were the test model for the 4th gens, not the best car to buy. It has an LT1 motor. I know of a few issues. They have oil leaks because of to much preasure in the motor, they have computer issues and they have an opti spark / distributor... if that gets wet you car WILL NOT start and that sits under the water pump so if you have a water pump leak your screwed!!!!!! Those are just a few things I can think of right now.

As for the sitting around for 10 years... If that car has not been run for lets just say a few years and being that old you WILL have to replace the oil and fuel lines. More then likely the lines are cracked, they have to have fluid in them to keep them lubricated. You are gonna want to replace the fuel pump as well. AND you are gonna want to change that oil before you start the car, Im sure the top end of that car has not had oil in it in a long time. So change the oil put new oil in it then TRY to start the car. Good luck sounds like your gonna have your hands full on this one. I would say buy a 99 LS1 Z28/SS, gonna be around the same price more reliable and GM has not discontinued most parts for that motor like they have for the LT1's
SoCalCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:25 PM   #11
02 WS6 TA
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnate326 View Post
Buy it regardless. If its the car you have grown up wanting and you can get it, then buy it.

In 20 years you dont want to be that guy going "I should have bought that 93 z28 that my neighbor had. it was cloth int, auto....bla bla bla"

I bit the bullet and got what I wanted. its not perfect but its mine. Even if it does need some work, these cars are pretty simple and parts are plentiful for the most part.

What he said. Buy it, and enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCamaro View Post
Those 93's were the test model for the 4th gens, not the best car to buy. It has an LT1 motor. I know of a few issues. They have oil leaks because of to much preasure in the motor, they have computer issues and they have an opti spark / distributor... if that gets wet you car WILL NOT start and that sits under the water pump so if you have a water pump leak your screwed!!!!!! Those are just a few things I can think of right now.

As for the sitting around for 10 years... If that car has not been run for lets just say a few years and being that old you WILL have to replace the oil and fuel lines. More then likely the lines are cracked, they have to have fluid in them to keep them lubricated. You are gonna want to replace the fuel pump as well. AND you are gonna want to change that oil before you start the car, Im sure the top end of that car has not had oil in it in a long time. So change the oil put new oil in it then TRY to start the car. Good luck sounds like your gonna have your hands full on this one. I would say buy a 99 LS1 Z28/SS, gonna be around the same price more reliable and GM has not discontinued most parts for that motor like they have for the LT1's

"Don't listen to SoCalCamaro".

Anyone with his spelling prowess and prior employment status should not be someone to influence your decision.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:05 PM   #12
SoCalCamaro

Drives: 2002 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 WS6 TA View Post
What he said. Buy it, and enjoy it.

"Don't listen to SoCalCamaro".

Anyone with his spelling prowess and prior employment status should not be someone to influence your decision.

lol you like that one?

Just because my spelling is bad does not mean my post is bad. I was just trying to let him know what he is getting himself into. Thats all, Im not trying to tell him dont get it or get it. Just giving a heads up. Good luck gizzy.

02 WS6 TA - get off me dude. You don't know me or what I do, the only reason you know I worked at RK is because I posted that. You must have some issue with them for some reason and I dont care. I have not worked their in over 7 years. Don't be pist or take it personal beacause I said dont listed to you in the other thread. That was not a person attack on you as you are doing to me. Get back to car talk Im not going to bicker with you.
SoCalCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:28 PM   #13
gizzygone

Lol... My Moby-Dick is not worth thousands in repair costs...

I'm all nervous after that last post there... seems like there's a lot that can be/go wrong.

I thought it'd be a cheap entry into a camaro, but maybe my money is better spent saving for a 5th gen...
Old 04-14-2010, 06:59 PM   #14
02 WS6 TA
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCamaro View Post
lol you like that one?

Just because my spelling is bad does not mean my post is bad. I was just trying to let him know what he is getting himself into. Thats all, Im not trying to tell him dont get it or get it. Just giving a heads up. Good luck gizzy.

02 WS6 TA - get off me dude. You don't know me or what I do, the only reason you know I worked at RK is because I posted that. You must have some issue with them for some reason and I dont care. I have not worked their in over 7 years. Don't be pist or take it personal beacause I said dont listed to you in the other thread. That was not a person attack on you as you are doing to me. Get back to car talk Im not going to bicker with you.
Last I checked, you were the douchenozzle ricer who was blowing off at the mouth who clearly said "Dont listen" to me... I have no issue with RK at all, but when some jackass comes in and makes such a post clearly directed at me, Yeah- Expect an answer back. Nobody can believe that was not a jab, tell yourself what you want. And on topic, here we have a guy who is clearly excited about potentially purchasing a car he has had eyes on for years, and you come in with eminent wisdom and point out all the woes of LT1 ownership, and cite (laughably) the first year gremlins associated with the '93. News flash, the '10 Camaros are also the first year... By that rationale, everyone here should dump their Gen 5s, right?

By the way...I'm not Pist...Whatever that may be.