Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 12-19-2018, 08:53 PM   #1
omarestrada599

Drives: jjj
Help reading Dino sheet

2015 camaro SS L99 conv. k&N CAI, Vmax Tb, AR Lts catless flow master mufflers, tune.
Some other shop told me I was running lean and had a knock at 4500 rpm. About to do flex fuel, Phastek intake scoop and possibly 160 degree thermostat and new tune for flex.
Attached Images

Last edited by omarestrada599; 12-19-2018 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Pic.
omarestrada599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 06:25 PM   #2
omarestrada599

bump
Old 12-23-2018, 06:47 PM   #3
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Did they tune it after the header install???

I don't understand what your asking...
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 07:25 PM   #4
omarestrada599

yes the car got tuned after all bolt ons (headers too), and at the tune a dino was made.
at some other shop I was told that I had a knock at 4300rpm and that could hurt the car, the other shop also said I was running lean so not a good idea to run it hard.
I have the dsx flex fuel kit and this other shop charges $980 to install and program to the car, I also have a 160 degree thermostat that I would like to tune to the car which can possibly cost some more money to get it tuned.
I don't know if to take my car to the shop where I got it tuned first or to have it tuned at this other shop.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:30 PM   #5
Clarkstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarestrada599 View Post
yes the car got tuned after all bolt ons (headers too), and at the tune a dino was made.
at some other shop I was told that I had a knock at 4300rpm and that could hurt the car, the other shop also said I was running lean so not a good idea to run it hard.
I have the dsx flex fuel kit and this other shop charges $980 to install and program to the car, I also have a 160 degree thermostat that I would like to tune to the car which can possibly cost some more money to get it tuned.
I don't know if to take my car to the shop where I got it tuned first or to have it tuned at this other shop.
Flex fuel/ e85 is pretty tricky to tune. If these guys can't tune your car correctly to begin with, your gonna be in for some struggles with e85.

Put the thermostat on yourself.... 2 bolts, very simple. Then I'd look for a tuner who has experience with flexfuel/e85...
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:53 PM   #6
omarestrada599

yes this other shop that I mention is pretty knowledgeable with e85, I just see it kinda pricey of $980 for the e85 tune and 3 pulls.
yes i can install the stat my self and even completely install the flex kit and save installation on it.
looking at my dino sheet could you tell me why I have that drop at 4300rmp?if im running lean?
Old 12-23-2018, 07:59 PM   #7
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
If it's knock then timing will be reduced to stop the knock, which results in less power.

Not sure that's the case, but you should be able to log that.
Forgestar CF-5 19x11
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:00 PM   #8
Clarkstar

Quote:
yes this other shop that I mention is pretty knowledgeable with e85, I just see it kinda pricey of $980 for the e85 tune and 3 pulls.
yes i can install the stat my self and even completely install the flex kit and save installation on it.
looking at my dino sheet could you tell me why I have that drop at 4300rmp?if im running lean?
I'd first check for an exhaust leak...
Change your plugs...

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:32 PM   #9
omarestrada599

the shop that did the dino said it was a rattle on the exhaust and the other shop did a free log on the car and said that rattles on the exhaust don't cause a knock. I replaced the plugs two months ago and the car its not driven much. it has the ngk tr55. how's the AFR at 13.68?
Old 12-23-2018, 08:51 PM   #10
Clarkstar

Quote:
the shop that did the dino said it was a rattle on the exhaust and the other shop did a free log on the car and said that rattles on the exhaust don't cause a knock. I replaced the plugs two months ago and the car its not driven much. it has the ngk tr55. how's the AFR at 13.68?
It should be closer to 12.5 at wot... I'd first make sure you don't have a leak. 90% of the time that's the problem. If there's no leaks, you need a better tune. Your graph is too lean dude...

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:49 PM   #11
Pro-tuned
Angewendet Ingenieur

Drives: 14 Camaro ZL1
Not all E85 blends are the same. Convert to Lambda and put the puppy to sleep.
LQ9, Iron Block, Forged internals, 408CI, Jannetty custom cam, TS short block, Whipple, Hardened Jackshaft, PRC 260, 2X3 Dynatech Full Competition, HF Cats, CAI, NW 103, Chee, ID 1300, COPO Breather, MSD, Fore Dual Pump, ultratorque, E85, dual Meth, True Trac, 3:45, 1500hp axle-shafts, DSS CF, BMR, custom Pearl/Candy paint by Jaidah.
Pro-tuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:40 PM   #12
omarestrada599

I might take the car to this other shop than, since you and they agree on that Im running lean.
I haven't done the e85 conversion yet, I know that e85 is not the same throughout the year. but lambda and afr its hard to comprehend for someone that's not familiar with tuning.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:08 PM   #13
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Replied in your narrow band thread, hope it clarifies somethings for you, then saw this one. Exhaust rattle could pull timing. Iirc, the stock tune would pull timing around this rpm. I think it was due to torque management in the tune. Perhaps they didn't tune correctly. Although, this may have been for an LS3 and not an L99. Also, any exhaust leaks may introduce air into the system, causing a leaner afr. I wouldn't be happy with that afr unless they installed new plugs, did a full pull, turned off the engine and read the plugs. They would need to log the run to see if timing was being pulled. You should get more than 3 pulls. They need to install the flex fuel and take however long it takes to tune it correctly. Had flex fuel added to my WRX STI a few months ago. The new shop will need to do 2 tunes, 1 for 91 or 93 octane, then 1 for E85. Make sure your E85 is the summer blend, it will be around E80-85. That way they are tuning for E85. If it is winter blend, it could be E50. Yes, E85 varies from 50% ethanol to 85% ethanol. You can pick up a cheap device to measure the ethanol content of fuel. It's a small vial that you add a certain amount of water and fuel, shake it up and let it settle. Then read the graduated markings on the bottle for content. Go in for the tune with under 1/4 of 91 or 93 octane gas in the tank. Let them dyno tune it, then fill it up with E85 for that tune. I took fuel cans filled with E85, so I didn't have to drive it anywhere to fill it up. Could be charged for a hooking back up to the dyno. Be certain your fuel system can handle E85. It requires about 30% more fuel. So possibly a BAP or higher capacity fuel pump and injectors. $980 is in the ballpark. E85 will not net you big gains in a slightly modded naturally aspirated car.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock

Last edited by Badbubba; 01-15-2019 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Grammar
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:05 AM   #14
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
2015 camaro SS L99 conv. k&N CAI, Vmax Tb, AR Lts catless flow master mufflers, tune.
Some other shop told me I was running lean and had a knock at 4500 rpm. About to do flex fuel, Phastek intake scoop and possibly 160 degree thermostat and new tune for flex.
This looks pretty awful to me. If that's a good AFR read and it's really that lean I'm not surprised it's got some spark knock. The dip at 4300 looks like where it yanks a bunch of timing (that's peak torque, highest cylinder pressures, and where it's most likely to knock), and it may have been pulling some even before there. Once it hits that big dip then it never really rolls it back in, the whole curve looks lazy and jumpy from there (probably the knock sensor doing it's best to keep the motor together), and your peak power number supports that, I think 360whp SAE is a little low for those mods with an L99.

It does look like a hot day too and there is a heavy correction factor (1.19) on this, so I'm sure it drives even worse as the uncorrected peak was only 303whp.

I think you've got some good next mods planned - they need to include tuning by a shop that will not accept results like this as ok. Ideal AFR differs from engine to engine, but a good rule of thumb for these cars is that they are usually happiest around a 12.6-12.9:1. Your car is a long ways off of there. It wouldn't surprise me to see it pick up 15-20whp (and a much smoother curve) with appropriate tuning just as it sits now.

Let us know how you make out.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote