Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 09-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #15
Ajaxx
Cantafordit

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Hunsaker View Post
I suggested a gear indicator on the DIC on a previous thread just so I could glance quickly to be sure what gear I was in. I have a SS/RS/M6 and sometimes I lose track of what gear I'm in. I thought a gear indicator would be more useful than some of the other info that is available on the DIC. OMG did I get ripped about my suggestion, I was told I couldn't drive, that I shouldn't own a manual transmission, that I didn't know what a tach was, and that I wasn't even qualified to own my Camaro SS. Like you have to be someone special to manually shift gears. I was truly insulted by some of the a-hole responses.

Keeping the above in mind, and risking being told I'm an idiot...I think a shift light would be more useful than many of the other DIC options you can view. Just like I think a gear indicator would be more useful as well.

Russ
I would love to have a gear indicator on the dash as well
Old 09-07-2010, 09:40 PM   #16
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
I too would also like to ask.. if you wanted to shift, why did you buy an automatic car?
Old 09-07-2010, 10:00 PM   #17
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Actually, i do have some more informative responses as well.

First off, when you are in manual mode, there is nothing in the computer that lets the computer output any sort of signal for the best shift times. Meaning, even if you could get a light, where would you hook it to? There is no signal that does this. You could however set an "if" statement in a computer. Something like, "if RPM greater than X-amount, light will turn on"

But even then, that defeats the purpose of a shift light. If you really wanted something to react like a shift light, you can buy something like a Dashhawk. I can set parameters to my device and tell it to Glow a different color when certain conditions are met. So for example, i have right now is a top speed warning... when i hit 80MPH my dashhawk glows yellow, 90MPH glows orange, and 100MPH glows Red.

I know for a fact the Dashhawk can set parameters to RPM... so all you have to do is set RPM to glow red at 6k RPM or something... Hope that helps.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:05 PM   #18
usmc8411
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan323 View Post
Actually, i do have some more informative responses as well.

First off, when you are in manual mode, there is nothing in the computer that lets the computer output any sort of signal for the best shift times. Meaning, even if you could get a light, where would you hook it to? There is no signal that does this. You could however set an "if" statement in a computer. Something like, "if RPM greater than X-amount, light will turn on"

But even then, that defeats the purpose of a shift light. If you really wanted something to react like a shift light, you can buy something like a Dashhawk. I can set parameters to my device and tell it to Glow a different color when certain conditions are met. So for example, i have right now is a top speed warning... when i hit 80MPH my dashhawk glows yellow, 90MPH glows orange, and 100MPH glows Red.

I know for a fact the Dashhawk can set parameters to RPM... so all you have to do is set RPM to glow red at 6k RPM or something... Hope that helps.

Dude I dont know what you're talking about, but a shift light comes on at a pre determined rpm. Thats the whole purpose of it. You set when you want it to come on.
usmc8411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:08 AM   #19
x626xBlack
ARMY of one.

Drives: 2011 Black SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyTheStorm View Post
Where I come from racing is also about the driver - if you let the computer do everything it takes the driver out of it. So really I am just controlling the launch and then that's it. For me - that takes a lot of the fun out of racing. I'd rather do the shifting like all the big-boys do at the track

If I wanted the computer to do everything then I might as well get more computer equipment and have it control every little thing like they do in the electronics class
(My smartass answer to match yours) Where I come from Racing is about winning. (My question that you need to answer in regards to the light, some of the replies above have hinted at where I was going) You want a light that tells you exactly where to shift... correct? With an A6 that would be the only purpose. If you are all about the "I am a driver, in control of my car, I am a real racer," ... You know your power band, and you shift at the optimal RPM, not when an idiot light comes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxx View Post
Dude, he asked if anyone knew where to get one. He did not ask your opinion about a shift light. I swear it seems like some of you have to put your 2 cents in no matter what!
Like you just did?
x626xBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:56 AM   #20
usmc8411
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by x626xBlack View Post
If you are all about the "I am a driver, in control of my car, I am a real racer," ... You know your power band, and you shift at the optimal RPM, not when an idiot light comes on.

Congratulations at being the king of fail.

Lets just pretend hes a bracket racer. Hmmmm well I cant go faster than my breakout time, but if I go a nut hair slower Im going to lose to the car next to me.....yup definately wouldnt want a shift light for consistensy. Ill give it a chance and shift by ear at the "optimal rpm" instead of actually shifting at the optimal rpm with a shift light.

Or maybe Im racing a car thats exactly as fast as mine and I know I have to out drive him......better leave that to chance too and shift by ear.

Wait, I bet people that buy cars that come with shift lights take them out so they can be real racers

Better call MSD, Autometer, Raptor, Jegs, Proform, ect ect that they shouldnt even bother selling shift lights because real race cars dont use them.

Oh and LOL and calling a shift light an idiot light.

You started my day off on the right foot.

What if your deaf? Can you use a shift light then and be a real racer?

Besides real racers dont use stinkin cars to win races....they run because that way you dont need a shift light or cheating devices like fuel.
usmc8411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:00 AM   #21
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyTheStorm View Post
Does anyone know if there is a decent easy to install shift-light kit available for the A6? I am looking to race using tap shift rather than having it shift itself and a shift light will make it a lot easier.

While the kiddies are getting all snarky with each other, here`s some information you can probably use.
http://www.lingenfelter.com/LPEforum...ead.php?p=1201
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #22
RickyTheStorm

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS,04 Colorado,06 ZX6R
Wow... um okay, rather than quoting every person on here I am just going to go straight forward...

Thanks to those that provided useful links to options for me to get a shift light, I really appreciate it - especially since that is all this thread was asking for.

- To the poster about the gtech - I had one, ebayed it - it never worked in my car, it couldn't get a good reading as to the rpms it was at, I tried and tried and even got support from the gtech guys and they determined there just wasn't the right level of "noise" in the electrical system to run it right.

To those saying why did I get an automatic when I want to shift - umm, because regardless of me shifting or having the computer shift, an automatic transmission will shift much faster than any manual transmission can, regardless of driver. Go look at all the 10 second, 9 second pro drivers - all of them have automatics, and guess what, they shift them! Also - I have a bad knee - so manual was out anyway! As for computer shift and driver shift, I'd rather control the car, not a computer. Prime example, do a launch and you spin tires - well, you can let off the gas or short shift to second. Try having the computer decide that!

- usmc8411 - I loved that response

A shift light is a racing light - not an idiot light. It is made for driver consistency - and yes, 90%+ of all of the faster cars in drag racing have shift lights and manually shift their AUTOMATIC transmissions.

I am just going to leave it at that - if you feel that a shift light is pointless and just want to let the computer control it, well - enjoy less of a challenge and having the computer determine what it wants the car to do rather than what you want to do. Also - go to the drag strip, sounds like most of you don't even go - talk to the pro drivers who have been going for years and are the most consistent running dead on their dials (and not the electronics class drivers). Ask them what they think, they will tell you to tap shift every time.

Again - thanks to all that gave me useful links, I am going to start researching from those

IOM - 2SS/RS - Auto - IAP - Sunroof - Ordered 10/13 (#7 at dealer)
3000(accepted to production ): 4/19/09
3300 (scheduled for prod ): 5/11/09
3400 (broadcast ): 5/16/09
3800 (produced ): 5/22/09
4150 (invoiced ): 6/01/09
4200 (shipped ): 6/01/09
5000 (at dealer ): 6/12/09
6000 (delivery to me ): 6/12/09
RickyTheStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:21 PM   #23
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Ricky- Don't say I didn't warn you! You post a question and the next thing you know you're told you aren't qualified to drive a wheelbarrow! So many expert drivers on the forum, I'm not even worthy to talk to them.

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #24
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Hunsaker View Post
Ricky- Don't say I didn't warn you! You post a question and the next thing you know you're told you aren't qualified to drive a wheelbarrow! So many expert drivers on the forum, I'm not even worthy to talk to them.

Russ
Ya, I know what mean. You think you have asked an innocent and simple question and then it turns into "I know more than you do!" back and forth when in reality what most of these "experts" in this forum and other forums I belong to only know what they have overheard from those who actually race or what they have read in their latest issue of Hot Rod Magazine.
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:12 AM   #25
x626xBlack
ARMY of one.

Drives: 2011 Black SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc8411 View Post
Congratulations at being the king of fail.

Lets just pretend hes a bracket racer. Hmmmm well I cant go faster than my breakout time, but if I go a nut hair slower Im going to lose to the car next to me.....yup definately wouldnt want a shift light for consistensy. Ill give it a chance and shift by ear at the "optimal rpm" instead of actually shifting at the optimal rpm with a shift light.

Or maybe Im racing a car thats exactly as fast as mine and I know I have to out drive him......better leave that to chance too and shift by ear.

Wait, I bet people that buy cars that come with shift lights take them out so they can be real racers

Better call MSD, Autometer, Raptor, Jegs, Proform, ect ect that they shouldnt even bother selling shift lights because real race cars dont use them.

Oh and LOL and calling a shift light an idiot light.

You started my day off on the right foot.

What if your deaf? Can you use a shift light then and be a real racer?

Besides real racers dont use stinkin cars to win races....they run because that way you dont need a shift light or cheating devices like fuel.
Nice try! And regardless of what you say or what point you argue (lack of hearing ROFLMAO).. There is something inherantly wrong with this statement. "I am a real racer, I want my car to tell me when to shift but not do it for me."

And yes... It is an idiot light. Idiot lights are lights that tell you when to do something... change oil, shift.....

PS. Every argument you made is actually MOOT. You do realize he has an AUTOMATIC! Meaning allowing the computer to shift at optimal RPM solvs ALL of that.
x626xBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:21 AM   #26
mikepage0007

best shift light is the raptor light ...super bright and small...i set mine up to shift @ 6100 rpm...it is mounted in my a/c duct and can only be seen during engine start and 6100 rpm
Old 09-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #27
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage0007 View Post
best shift light is the raptor light ...super bright and small...i set mine up to shift @ 6100 rpm...it is mounted in my a/c duct and can only be seen during engine start and 6100 rpm
Cool, got any pictures?
Old 09-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #28
ScottieBlkSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 2SS/RS
Try to google Raptor performance shift light