Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 06-02-2017, 11:29 AM   #29
KrzyFast

Drives: 2010 300c SRT8
Snoman,

Thank you very much for the quick and detailed response. I really appreciate it!
Especially the heads-up on the cutting mods for the CAI.
The car isn't CPO but I did ask about getting it CPO'd and was going to make that a point that the document that it had a CAI on it....as I can see if something happened, I would probably get denied (by different dealership) on the claim because of the CAI - which I didn't install.
KrzyFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:43 PM   #30
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrzyFast View Post
Snoman,

Thank you very much for the quick and detailed response. I really appreciate it!
Especially the heads-up on the cutting mods for the CAI.
The car isn't CPO but I did ask about getting it CPO'd and was going to make that a point that the document that it had a CAI on it....as I can see if something happened, I would probably get denied (by different dealership) on the claim because of the CAI - which I didn't install.
Most welcome!

I almost forgot, make sure the LSA blower replacement bulletin has been performed or prove to you that it was not applicable.

Purchasing a modified vehicle gets tricky. Most dealers will use the fact it's a modified vehicle to screw the seller out of his car.

"you have an aftermarket CAI, that's going to cost us $700 to replace to OEM so I'm going to take it out of your trade in"

Then the dealer turns around, pockets the money (savings) and tries to sell it to you as an upsell, "Hey look, you were going to add that anyway right? We just saved you $500 for free!!!"

Then you take it into get serviced and the service manager voids your powertrain warranty without your knowledge, provided the power train warranty isn't already voided.

It's a win-win for the dealer and there are many solutions on how to handle it with the salesman.

1. Force the dealership to put the OEM back on (but try and get them to allow you to keep the aftermarket CAI)
  2. Force the dealership to sell 'as is', but guarantee in writing the dealership takes full responsibility for personally PAYING for any power train warranty work from any GM dealer, so long as no other modifications were performed
  3. Force the dealership to guarantee no other engine or drive train modifications were performed
  4. If the dealer refuses all the above, take their best price and then counter substantially below that, stating all the reasons above, especially a voided power train.
If the Dealer refuses any and all negotiations, tells you to buy the car as is with absolutely nothing in writing - consider the vehicle a "salvage" before buying. Honestly, I would walk...there are a ton of ZL1s available.
There is no way I would purchase a modified vehicle from a dealer whom refuses to stand behind and guarantee/warranty the vehicle in some capacity (12+ months / 12k mi).

There was a '13 ZL1 FBO sale I negotiated out of California last year from a Cadillac dealer. They officially sold the car "as is" per GM, but the dealer provided an addendum whereby they personally warrantied the vehicle for 24 mo / 24k mi, Non-transferable and the vehicle had to brought to them for routine service and inspections for 2 years.

There are modded ZL1s available from a simple CAI to FBO and they generally run as solid as granite, especially those from highly reputable build shops. Understand this perspective isn't about "is the car worth buying?", this perspective is about "how soon will this dealership (or another) screw me over on the sale of this car?"
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:04 PM   #31
KrzyFast

Drives: 2010 300c SRT8
Snoman,

Thanks again! You are very helpful and I can’t thank you enough!!!
Regarding the LSA blower replacement; that recall only involves 2012-2013 LSA’s correct?

I’m looking at 3 different ZL1’s and all are 2014 with 2K-6K miles. I can’t figure out how someone buys one of these and parks it in the garage - as garage art….To each his own I guess. I like to drive my cars – I wash and wax them a lot though to make up for it.

You bring up a good point about having the dealer put the original air box back on the car. I had not thought about that. However, that might be more difficult than having them include that the car is CPO with a CAI on it.

But all of this might be moot as it is the furthest ZL1 from me – it’s a good road trip to go see it and its an automatic, and I’ve wanted a manual for a Long time. I just love the color (BRM) and it has the Recaro seat option.

However, thinking about it more today and reading your replies makes me think that its probably best that I stick with the 2 that are significantly closer to me and that are completely stock – this way I don’t have to worry about any denial of warranty claims from the start – especially for something as minor as a CAI.

I owe you one for the help! Have a great weekend!
KrzyFast is offline   Reply With Quote