Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 03-21-2009, 07:28 PM   #57
Hillbilly
Rider of the short BUS

Drives: Ukon/F350(work)/Intruder800
http://www.woodyg.com/fairlane/finfo/etrwh.html
http://www.race-cars.net/calculators/et_calculator.html
Here is a couple links to play with.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:32 PM   #58
Hillbilly
Rider of the short BUS

Drives: Ukon/F350(work)/Intruder800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post
I dont think they are bad at all for stock #'s. The SRT8 got 356 RWHP stock so we are ahead of the game there. http://www.dragtimes.com/Dodge-Chall...lip-15527.html
Yep
And with the extra weight I read a review (SRT 13.9/Camaro13.0)Way ahead now
Old 03-21-2009, 07:52 PM   #59
1fastdog

Drives: 2002 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverc5vert View Post
The engine was at normal operating temperature (coolant temp around 220), SAE correction factor, 1,000 miles, traction control has to be off to run on the dyno, 93 octane fuel, and a/f wasn't logged, we were just doing power pulls.

-Rick
Thanks!

I don't see an issue with the numbers. Did you mention the dyno is a bit conservative with readings? If so, that is better as a tuning tool. Generous dynos are something I avoid.

I tend to believe that between 13% and 14% is a closer number for a loss factor. Multiplying the flywheel by .86 or .87 is my personal rule of thumb for an IRS RWD car with a manual tranny. By no means a hard and fast rule, as drivetrain losses can vary due to a number of factors, even between same model vehicles.

A plus of minus 5 HP isn't considered out of the question from a dyno pass.

Low mile engine and trans, stingy dyno, 5HP error factor....

I can't see why folks are anxious over this dyno pass.

Without an AFR, IAT, and knock retard readings? More reason to not be worked up.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:55 PM   #60
Q8-CamaroSS
Muscle Owner

Drives: 04 Chevy SSR/03 RST/82 Fj40
Send a message via MSN to Q8-CamaroSS
Camaro is the New Drag Race Muscle Car end of discussion ..!!! Just Imagine a Camaro with 16 inch Rear's with Sticky tires Umm Mean Machine !!
Q8-CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:56 PM   #61
tom692010
Account Suspended

Drives: 4 wheels
so where is the 425 hp

I know every cars a bit different but this is no where near the 425 the are advertising. With a little work though once mine arrives I'm sure it will get there. Now let them dyno the Challenger which is supposed to be 425 also and see what it gets.
Still wouldn't change my mind 1ss iom in 2mo!
tom692010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:59 PM   #62
z28xtreme

Drives: #17 Pontiac G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
Compared to the SRT8, again maybe it's the gearing

What is the gearing for the manual SS anyway, The SRT8 gearing is 3.92 axle ratio with 20 inch rims

The R/T is 3.73 with 18 inch Rims
gearing has nothing to do with the horsepower. hp is hp plain and simple. the rims dont either.
z28xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:08 PM   #63
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom692010 View Post
I know every cars a bit different but this is no where near the 425 the are advertising. With a little work though once mine arrives I'm sure it will get there. Now let them dyno the Challenger which is supposed to be 425 also and see what it gets.
The 426HP advertised is straight off the engine... not at the wheels. This is normal.

And the challenger has been dynoed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post
I dont think they are bad at all for stock #'s. The SRT8 got 356 RWHP stock so we are ahead of the game there. http://www.dragtimes.com/Dodge-Chall...lip-15527.html
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:26 PM   #64
Chocolate Apocalypse
Full Fledged Member

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28xtreme View Post
gearing has nothing to do with the horsepower. hp is hp plain and simple. the rims dont either.
Actually they do. If you take a 4th gen w/3.42s, dyno it, swap in 4:10s, dyno it, you'll end up with a few less ponies running the 4:10s. Also, the weight of a tire/wheel combo makes a difference. Bigger/heavier combo will result in lower numbers on the dyno vs a smaller/lighter combination.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:07 PM   #65
gunslinger

Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
Probably the biggest difference between the Vette and Camaro RWHP numbers is in the IRS design.

From what I remember reading, the Vette has a more efficient IRS design, allowing more HP to make it to the ground. (It also probably had less rotating mass because it doesnt have to accelerate a car weighing ~4000 Lbs.).

So my guess is tuning and exhaust make up about 5 RWHP and the IRS makes up the other 5-7 RWHP on the Vette.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:15 PM   #66
gunslinger

Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Apocalypse View Post
Actually they do. If you take a 4th gen w/3.42s, dyno it, swap in 4:10s, dyno it, you'll end up with a few less ponies running the 4:10s. Also, the weight of a tire/wheel combo makes a difference. Bigger/heavier combo will result in lower numbers on the dyno vs a smaller/lighter combination.
The gears actually do not make any difference, it is just that the 4.10's are less efficient, meaning the actual ratio makes no difference. The heavier wheels do make a difference because they are a rotating mass connected to the engine and the less mass the engine has to accelerate, the higher the HP.

The way the dyno calculates HP is by accelerating a known weight and the speed of acceleration of that weight determines the HP. So gears have no effect on the HP reading because gears only multiply torque, not HP.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:23 PM   #67
G8GT4now

Drives: 14 SS Sedan
Livernois dynoed a GXP with very very low miles on it (17 miles I think) and it put down 350ish hp, the same car 1000 miles later put down 370ish. Both videos are in this thread.

After a catback, roto fab intake, and tuning, that GXP now puts down 410ish RWHP.

http://forum.grrrr8.net/showthread.php?t=4830
G8GT4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:47 AM   #68
Mopar or No Car till 2010

Drives: Dodge Charger SE 3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
Probably the biggest difference between the Vette and Camaro RWHP numbers is in the IRS design.

From what I remember reading, the Vette has a more efficient IRS design, allowing more HP to make it to the ground. (It also probably had less rotating mass because it doesnt have to accelerate a car weighing ~4000 Lbs.).

Due to the fact that the car is stationary on the dyno, inertia is zero.. So curb weight makes no difference whatsoever in recorded hp numbers
65535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:07 AM   #69
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
AS an old drag racer I see the numbers on the reviews and something looks a bit off.

The 1/4 time seems a little slow for the trap speed show. 111 MPH trap speed. I would think with a great lauch the car should run low 12.90's.
Also with a trap speed of 111 I would think the rear wheel horse power would be more like 380

Just my thoughts from watch a bunch of timed runs over the years.
Winter test makes for poor grip and very dense air, so slow launch and high trap.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:08 AM   #70
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
Compared to the SRT8, again maybe it's the gearing

What is the gearing for the manual SS anyway, The SRT8 gearing is 3.92 axle ratio with 20 inch rims

The R/T is 3.73 with 18 inch Rims
3.45 for the camaro SS M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
AS an old drag racer I see the numbers on the reviews and something looks a bit off.

The 1/4 time seems a little slow for the trap speed show. 111 MPH trap speed. I would think with a great lauch the car should run low 12.90's.
Also with a trap speed of 111 I would think the rear wheel horse power would be more like 380

Just my thoughts from watch a bunch of timed runs over the years.
The mags don't test on an actual drag strip. They use a section of road or straight section of road course. Thus the higher e.t. usually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom692010 View Post
364rwhp is just over 14% loss from 426fwhp. These numbers are spot on especially considering the car only had 1,000 miles on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28xtreme View Post
Gearing has nothing to do with fwhp, but it does affect rwhp. Numerically larger gears require more energy to turn resulting in more drivetrain loss and lower dyno numbers. But on the street the extra leverage from the gears makes the car quicker. Big wheels usually result in more weight which also cause more drivetrain loss and lower rwhp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
The gears actually do not make any difference, it is just that the 4.10's are less efficient, meaning the actual ratio makes no difference.

The way the dyno calculates HP is by accelerating a known weight and the speed of acceleration of that weight determines the HP. So gears have no effect on the HP reading because gears only multiply torque, not HP.
HP is a multiplication of TQ, so if TQ is multiplied by gears, then the gears indirectly affect HP. Fwhp is not affected by gears, but rwhp is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65535 View Post
Due to the fact that the car is stationary on the dyno, inertia is zero.. So curb weight makes no difference whatsoever in recorded hp numbers
He was refering to the weight of the dyno drum, not the car's weight.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote