Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 05-12-2015, 12:45 AM   #15
ZL1-QTR

Drives: 14 ZL1 - 12 CT
^ Very creative I like!
ZL1-QTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:15 AM   #16
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
I had a custom paint shop do mine. The plexiglass is also paint. My kit is the black powder coat. He just he sanded it down, primed and painted. Like Bill said, if you're no expert, you'll probably be happier if you took it to someone who is.
That paint job he did on the glass is awesome, very nicely done!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:22 PM   #17
ZL W0N
GuitarmageddonZL1

Drives: ‘13 ZL1, ‘17 TT ZL1, ‘17 Silverado
i think I may have figured out the fitting issues I had installing it. CAI Sales, do you think I possibly got the wrong air box? Maybe for an SS? I read that the only difference between an SS airbox and a ZL1 airbox is that the hole for the MAF housing is different. That seems to be my only major issue when I installed it. Everything is working great, but I'd like it to fit properly, rather than trying to squeeze everything together and make it fit. Just a thought. Other than that, I can't wait to show it off at GM Nationals Car Show in June!
Old 05-19-2015, 01:53 PM   #18
Sales @ CAI Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL W0N View Post
i think I may have figured out the fitting issues I had installing it. CAI Sales, do you think I possibly got the wrong air box? Maybe for an SS? I read that the only difference between an SS airbox and a ZL1 airbox is that the hole for the MAF housing is different. That seems to be my only major issue when I installed it. Everything is working great, but I'd like it to fit properly, rather than trying to squeeze everything together and make it fit. Just a thought. Other than that, I can't wait to show it off at GM Nationals Car Show in June!
Everything from your installed photos above looks perfect to me. That being said, you can still send some photos as well as a description of the fitment issue to bhylton@coldairinductions.com and we can take a look for you. I would find it highly unlikely you got the incorrect box, and I am not sure if the SS box would work at all anyways. The ZL1 does have very tight tolerances and fitment is more finicky on our CAI when compared to other models, meaning you need to have things aligned properly. That being said I would be glad to look at the additional photos with our engineer to see if something isn't right or installed properly.

-Bill
Old 05-19-2015, 02:06 PM   #19
BigBlock427
ConceptZer0

Drives: 68 427 Camaro, 11 2SS/RS, 13 ZL1
I love mine as well. this is my second CAI intake (I had one on my SS and now on my ZL1) and I was a diehard K&N fan on previous builds. The only thing I would have liked to see is a red coupler option. I think the red intake tube with the black box would look just awesome under the hood and match the engine cover...
BigBlock427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:46 PM   #20
Sales @ CAI Inc

ALL ZL1 CAI's ARE BACK IN STOCK AND READY TO SHIP!
Old 06-22-2015, 09:33 PM   #21
rcandiloro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
It looks great, I am glad t hear that you are happy with the CAI, thank you for choosing Cold Air Inductions Inc., we really appreciate your business and support!

Installation for the ZL1 set-up has some tighter tolerances than the other kits we offer, so it can take a little more time to install it. We have actually found where the MAF wiring for some of the ZL1's is routed differently than others, hence why in your case you may have had to do things in a slightly different order than the installation instructions suggested. Hopefully that makes sense.

How do you like the increased volume of the "Supercharger Whine", that's typically our ZL1 customers favorite thing about adding our CAI, other than the additional power of course!

Thanks!!
I just ordered a CAI from you guys for my 14' ZL1, but the windshield wiper fluid reservoir fill tube is right where it will be installed. Will I have to move that somewhere else or does your CAI account for that? Thanks.
rcandiloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:50 PM   #22
rcandiloro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Nevermind, I reread the description and it accounts for the washer tube.
rcandiloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:50 PM   #23
SN69SH

Drives: 2015 ZL1 [Tallulah2]
This CAI takes about 30 mins to install. I read the instructions first and have small hands. lol That said I agree with the first analysis. My only additional comment is the MAF placement in my mind is awkward. I also routed the clamps slightly different. Mainly for a little cleaner look. I still want to re-route the overflow. I don't like the pinch however subtle it is, just preference. Performance thus far is great. No codes at this point. Sound is great.
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2015, 04:48 AM   #24
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Guys,
Just have one doubt. By installing a CAI, would you be in risk of losing the warranty? Please advise
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:45 AM   #25
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
Guys,
Just have one doubt. By installing a CAI, would you be in risk of losing the warranty? Please advise
Search the forum and you will find all you need on that subject. Short answer is no.. Chevy has a list of approved aftermarket engine mods you can get from a dealer and CAI's is approved.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:03 PM   #26
DarthZL1

Drives: 2014 ZL1 M6
Does anybody make a MAF extension cable? Just don't like how tight it is with this intake.

Love everything else about the intake though!
--- DarthZL1 - 2014 ZL1 #2095 M6 Black. Bone Stock ---
--- BigNLo - 1996 Impala SS Hot Rod Black. Lots of mods ---
DarthZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:11 AM   #27
KrzyFast

Drives: 2010 300c SRT8
Hello All,

Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but I couldn't find the exact answer I was looking for doing a search. I'm looking at a low mileage 2014 ZL1, automatic, at a dealership that has the Cold Air Inductions CAI installed. I'm assuming it is Not tuned. Is there a need to be worried that it has this particular CAI and no tune?3

Hopefully I will be a ZL1 owner by next weekend!!!

Thank you,
Patrick
KrzyFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:27 AM   #28
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrzyFast View Post
Hello All,

Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but I couldn't find the exact answer I was looking for doing a search. I'm looking at a low mileage 2014 ZL1, automatic, at a dealership that has the Cold Air Inductions CAI installed. I'm assuming it is Not tuned. Is there a need to be worried that it has this particular CAI and no tune?3

Hopefully I will be a ZL1 owner by next weekend!!!

Thank you,
Patrick
It won't hurt the vehicle being untuned, the CPU can self adjust for up to +30% air flow and the maximum possible with a Cold Air Inductions CAI is 15-25%. The car will run with decreased MPG however, usually by ~10% (though +15-25 hp/tq).

Get under the vehicle on the drivers side and check to see if the prior owner installed an air scoop. This modification requires cutting pieces out of the vehicle and possibly a washer bottle relocation.

I would make sure the paperwork states this is a modified/altered vehicle and/or that there is an aftermarket air intake on the vehicle, especially if the vehicle is a CPO.

Without question, you would want to have the vehicle taken to an independent local tuner and have the engine read by a reader to pull current and historical codes and to verify the tune. Any local professional tuner; Mayham, RPM, JHR, PCM, Tick, Sinster would do. Expect to pay for their service before you buy the vehicle or, don't have it inspected prior to and simply budget $500 out of your purchase price and pay for a tune afterward. If their asking price is too high, all would be a good discussion and cause to drop your offer price by $500.

Last edited by Snoman; 06-02-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote