Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 03-10-2016, 03:23 PM   #15
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96ss1664 View Post
I will let you know my setup when my car gets tuned April 1, I have noticed that +16V to +16.5V is kind of the sweet spots. I'm going to start with the +0.8V Ramp and see how that works for my setup.

Thanks, kind of curious why they don't recommend going to the battery. I know that it has constant voltage on the red/white wire all the time just like the battery. I do know they recommend only using the GM JMS unit because it has the feature of the JMS going into sleep mode and it wont drain your battery. You would have some voltage drop, but that can be overcome by adjusting the voltage output by the amount of voltage drop. Which I calculated it and it would be about .3-.4 Vdc.

I use the Kenne Bell personally and it has never drained the battery even when parked for a month.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:10 PM   #16
370zyzfr1

Drives: 2014 Camaro Zl1 Tripple Black!
I had this installed Friday. Installer has installed alot of these and was Leary about this one.
370zyzfr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:44 AM   #17
cbarile

Drives: zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370zyzfr1 View Post
I had this installed Friday. Installer has installed alot of these and was Leary about this one.
I was looking into getting the JMS. How much did you pay to have it installed and why was your tuner leary of the JMS?
cbarile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:57 AM   #18
370zyzfr1

Drives: 2014 Camaro Zl1 Tripple Black!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarile View Post
I was looking into getting the JMS. How much did you pay to have it installed and why was your tuner leary of the JMS?

I installed it as a package. He just didn't know how effective it would be. It works differently then some others. But we got it set up and it is installed properly by the book.
370zyzfr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:40 PM   #19
Deez-zl1

Drives: 2013 camaro zl1
Thanx a bunch for this link, it will be very helpful while installing mine this weekend
Deez-zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:49 AM   #20
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Great write up, I do prefer you make your splice Close to the FPCM and Use the first diagram for best results.

Going in the fuse port leaves a couple feet of small wire to feed the FPCM.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:21 AM   #21
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by collins8 View Post
Nice write up. I have read that the ZL1 does not like a voltage booster used with its fuel pump control loop. I have read the fuel pump control module will end up throwing codes and in the end it does not work well. Worst case there is a chance the fuel pump control module could go into a thermal over load condition and shutdown on you and that would really suck going lean and ruining an engine. I talked to James Short a very reputable tuner about using one and he told me he does not like them and they just cause problems. I have also talked to Carl at vaporworx
https://www.vaporworx.com/documentat...-systems-work/
and he basically stated the same thing, the voltage boosters do not work well with the GM hardware to control the fuel system in these cars. Check out his site, there is some great reading there.
I am curious how the JMS unit works for you, and I would like for some of the tuners on this site to explain how the voltage boosters work for them. I would love to be able to add some ported heads to get a little more out of my car but I am at my fuel limit and I am not willing to risk the use of a voltage booster.
I know Carl at Vaporworx has been working on an upgraded GM Fuel pump control module that would work on these cars but I have not talked with him in some time to see how the project is going.

Sorry but this is just not the case. They work fine. In fact they work so well, there is a entire industry out there for them and the ZL1. The people who told you that, either want to sell you a different system, one that they will make more money on, or they just don't know what they are talking about.

Great write up! Well done, I am sure this will help a lot of members.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:39 AM   #22
1KillerSS

One quick question for the OP, what is the difference between the pedal vs hobbs switch? I mean, I know the difference, but why would you do one over the other?
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
Old 06-03-2016, 12:19 PM   #23
JANNETTYRACING

one is Throttle activated via the factory pedal position sensor, the other is activated off of boost via a hobbs switch, both are fully adjustable turn on points and voltage settings.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:20 PM   #24
1KillerSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
one is Throttle activated via the factory pedal position sensor, the other is activated off of boost via a hobbs switch, both are fully adjustable turn on points and voltage settings.
That part I understand, what I don't understand, is why you would choose one over the other.

Build thread
Old 06-03-2016, 12:22 PM   #25
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KillerSS View Post
That part I understand, what I don't understand, is why you would choose one over the other.
Throttle is cleaner simpler install for most, more of a plug and play.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:23 PM   #26
1KillerSS

Quote:
Thanks, Ted. I appreciate the information.

Build thread
Old 06-03-2016, 01:20 PM   #27
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
Quote:
Is there additional cost for opting for the throttle cable instead of the vacuum line?
jayno20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:24 PM   #28
sbmit

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
I agree, its is a simple install. With the plug and play make the install super clean. Just followed the power wire like they did and everything looks great.
sbmit is offline   Reply With Quote