Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 04-13-2017, 09:19 PM   #1
Br1an

Drives: 1993 Chevy silverado 1500 5.7
Factory blower vs Whipple options

Hi all, so this is my first post on here and I'm planning on dropping in an LSA crate engine into my truck, a 1993 Chevy Silverado 1500 four wheel drive, and was wondering how the factory supercharger compares to an option from Whipple. If the factory blower is better than a Whipple then who can I get a higher boost pulley from? I'm looking to make around 800 horsepower at the wheels through a TCI six speed 4l80e and either a np261 or a F**d np205 with a GM 32 spline input shaft. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
Br1an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:08 AM   #2
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Whipple displaces more and would be a better choice because it moves more air. Confirm with Whipple they have an option that will work with the LSA. I know Kenne Bell and Magnacharger have LSA options. The LSA stock blower is a nice piece but has to be overdriven into the danger zone to hit the numbers you mention.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:35 AM   #3
214Chevelle

Drives: 72 Chevelle
800 hp...Whipple all day over stock or any other aftermarket brand supercharger for that matter. You won't get that out of a stock blower, even if reworked, pulley swaps, etc. Also, if you are going to be pushing 800 ponies, you may need to check the limits on the stock pistons of an LSA and make sure they are capable of handling that amount of power. Don't know what your budget is, but you would probably be better of building an LS block from scratch with forged internals for that kind of power. A stock LSA is only about 550 hp and depending on where you buy, costs about $12k and up. You could buy a Whipple 2.9 and build you a nice LS motor for that price if you shop around and find deals on this forum or if not....just a tad bit more money from several online shops/vendors.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:59 PM   #4
Little Walter

Drives: ZL1
You might just consider getting a LS9 engine instead of a LSA. However there are many LSA engines making in the 730 to 760 rwhp on pump gas and even the numbers you are seeking on E85. If tuned properly the LSA pistons will and have been handling meggar horsepower numbers.
Little Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:07 PM   #5
Br1an

K, although I'm starting to consider building a big block chevy with coil near plug ignition, port injection thanks to a Whipple blower manifold, and either an 8-71 blower or a 10-71 blower. Don't really understand what the difference is between the two of them are, I'll have to see what Google has to say about the differences and how much boost a certain pulley combo will net. But oh well, if it must be done then it will

Old 04-16-2017, 09:26 PM   #6
2013 ZL1 #7860

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 #7860
Quote:
Originally Posted by 214Chevelle View Post
800 hp...Whipple all day over stock or any other aftermarket brand supercharger for that matter. You won't get that out of a stock blower, even if reworked, pulley swaps, etc. Also, if you are going to be pushing 800 ponies, you may need to check the limits on the stock pistons of an LSA and make sure they are capable of handling that amount of power. Don't know what your budget is, but you would probably be better of building an LS block from scratch with forged internals for that kind of power. A stock LSA is only about 550 hp and depending on where you buy, costs about $12k and up. You could buy a Whipple 2.9 and build you a nice LS motor for that price if you shop around and find deals on this forum or if not....just a tad bit more money from several online shops/vendors.
Im at 763whp A6 on the stock LSA 9.5/2.5 pulleys and stock heads. 800 is definitely possible on the stock blower with porting and more pulley and a better head...
2013 ZL1 #7860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:39 PM   #7
Br1an

K, I'll remember that if I do choose the LSA, although with drive train losses that'd be around 1000 horsepower at the crank although I'm currently pricing out a 509 Big Block with C.N.P. ignition, port injection, and an 8-71 blower that I'm looking to make 1000-1200 crank horsepower. Although I do need to know, will the same E67 ecm work for the 509 as it does for the LSA? And what sensors will I need to run either one? Just MAF, MAP, and O2 sensors? Or will I also need coolant temp sensor, oil pressure sensor, knock sensor, etc? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:23 AM   #8
Dega Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 ZL1 #7860 View Post
Im at 763whp A6 on the stock LSA 9.5/2.5 pulleys and stock heads. 800 is definitely possible on the stock blower with porting and more pulley and a better head...
Very Impressive numbers with stock heads. Are you on nitrous, E-85 or meth to achieve 763 RWHP? One of mines is making (SAE) 733rwhp (A6) on pump gas with Livernois head work and goodies.
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:58 AM   #9
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
Whipple displaces more and would be a better choice because it moves more air. Confirm with Whipple they have an option that will work with the LSA. I know Kenne Bell and Magnacharger have LSA options. The LSA stock blower is a nice piece but has to be overdriven into the danger zone to hit the numbers you mention.
^
Quote:
Originally Posted by 214Chevelle View Post
Yep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Walter View Post
You might just consider getting a LS9 engine instead of a LSA. However there are many LSA engines making in the 730 to 760 rwhp on pump gas and even the numbers you are seeking on E85. If tuned properly the LSA pistons will and have been handling meggar horsepower numbers.
LS9 would do the job better for sure, but it's $30,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 ZL1 #7860 View Post
First off, you can't go any more pulley than you have. Your bearings are already going to be shot very quickly as well as your supercharger internals. That's way the hell too fast on the LSA. 800 RWHP is nearly impossible to crack on the LSA without nitrous.

And I'll show you why. Well first off let's look at some of the pros out there, Vengeance, who is one of the best LS shops, only gets about 780 RWHP out of the LSA on their Stage 5 X package (Baddest it gets). Keep in mind, they're listing their numbers in CRANK HP not rear WHEEL HP. http://vengeanceracing.net/packages-...amaro-zl1.html

4.5” Cold Air Induction

Nick Williams 102mm DBW Throttle body

Ported Supercharger | Inlet | 102mm Snout

Vengeance Racing -12 AN Fitting/Line Upgrade for ZL1 Lid

2.55” Upper Pullley

Solid Isolator

ATI LSA Overdrive Balancer

9.5” Overdrive Ring

Crank Bolt

Idler Relocation Kit

Appropriate serpentine belt

Alky Control Dual Nozzle Methanol Injection System

VP M1 Methanol

Mast Motorsports or Trickflow 255 CNC LS3 Cylinder heads

GM MLS Head Gaskets

ARP Head Studs

High Performance Lifters

GM Lifter Trays

Vengeance Racing Custom Camshaft

Vengeance Racing Dual Spring Kit w/TI Retainers

ARP Cam Bolts

3 Bolt Timing Gear

Vengeance Racing Hardened Pushrods

Trunion Upgrade

Katech C5R Timing Chain

Melling High Volume Oil Pump

All Gaskets & Seals

Billet Catch Can with AN Lines/Fittings

Vengeance Racing Valve Cover Breather

160* Thermostat

Vengeance Racing Heat Exchanger system

High Capacity Trunk Mount HX Coolant Tank with pump

Vengeance Racing High Temperature Protective Heat Sleeves

NGK TR7IX Spark Plugs

American Racing Stainless Long tube Headers with 3” X pipe

GM MLS Exhaust Manifold Gaskets

High Flow LSA Fuel Injectors

High Capacity Fuel System

Vengeance Racing Flex Fuel Kit

E85 Flex Fuel

Let's look at a build I'd call max effort:
9.1 + 2.5 Pulleys (As much as safe), big cam, ported heads or aftermarket heads, E85, Meth injection, ported blower/snout, 4.5" intake, and straight 3" exhaust. This is a full on MAX Non-nitrous LSA and is going to be really uncomfortable on the street as well as quite unreliable for any kind of long distance stuff with crazy IAT temps in cruises (traffic, slow etc.). I'd bet that above list would make 780 RWHP. Now if you were going to spray the car, you're talking even faster wear and tear on the engine.

OP, it sounds like you're building a show truck or a car show pop the hood look at me truck? If so, you do NOT want this max effort build, at least I'd never do it. You can toss your reliability right out the window. Now, you could come down about 60 RWHP from the above setup and still have a reliable setup. What parts? Well, scrap the 9.1 or a 8.6. Ditch the aftermarket heads, and forget the Meth injection. (You can do these things because your temps will be lower). Now you're looking at around 700-715 RWHP if not a tad more and you're way more reliable than the above.

Quick numbers: $12,000+ LSA. At least $15,000-$20,000 in mods + a bunch of labor. You're north of $30,000 now in engine.

If I was you, I'd go buy an LSx and put a Procharger on it. 800 RWHP would be conservative on such a setup.

OP, I can give you all the numbers and info I can on pulleys and all that to save your googling if you want to PM me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dega Man View Post
Very Impressive numbers with stock heads. Are you on nitrous, E-85 or meth to achieve 763 RWHP? One of mines is making (SAE) 733rwhp (A6) on pump gas with Livernois head work and goodies.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:26 PM   #10
Little Walter

I would go whipple over the pro charger if there is a whipple set-up for the LSA engine. Tom Nelson have stated several times that the prochargers are very demanding on the front main bearing. Posting big horsepower numbers and backing it up in the 1/8 and 1/4 are two different stories, I've been very impressed with Livernois hp numbers matching their track numbers down the track. I see so many shops posting crazy hp numbers just not backing it at the track and hats off to Livernois, their cars have put down some very impressive numbers with the horsepower they deliver.

Last edited by Little Walter; 04-18-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Little Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:43 PM   #11
Dega Man

Can'tHave2MuchHP just as info on the pulley sizes you can go all the way up to a 10.5 if desired on the lower and a 2.85 on the upper I know with innovators west and metco. There are several 9.5 lower and 2.5 uppers running around with many miles with no reliability problems (bearings or charger internals) whatsoever according to all the respected shops that is a very safe combination, also with a very good heat exchanger there is not any out of the ordinary high IAT issues. OP I am not trying to side track your post by the way. However there are some LSA engines posting some big numbers, the highest that I can recall from my memory on 93 pump fuel was a M6 that Livernois did that made somewhere close to 770rwhp. As someone stated earlier in the post there are many that are making big hp numbers but for whatever reason not reflecting those numbers at the track. The 1.9 charger is small but very efficient and makes it's horsepower quick there are some bigger chargers that takes a little longer to build the horsepower. So if you are just after a high horsepower number you do have options. If you want 1/8 mile low et's the 1.9L makes power very quick, if you are adding other power adders (E85,meth, nitrous, race fuel for more timing) then 800rwhp might be very doable with head work, cam kit, injectors, charger porting and a upgraded fuel system. With the proper tune the bottom end of these engines are living.

Last edited by Dega Man; 04-18-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:07 PM   #12
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Frankly I don't really care what certain people have done out there. 9.55 + 2.55 is entirely too much. No need to argue. While it can be done and people do it, it's kind of like crack, sure it's done but no it's not good for longevity and no you can't tell side effects until it's too late, in this case, expensive.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:09 PM   #13
2013 ZL1 #7860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
^

Yep

LS9 would do the job better for sure, but it's $30,000

First off, you can't go any more pulley than you have. Your bearings are already going to be shot very quickly as well as your supercharger internals. That's way the hell too fast on the LSA. 800 RWHP is nearly impossible to crack on the LSA without nitrous.

And I'll show you why. Well first off let's look at some of the pros out there, Vengeance, who is one of the best LS shops, only gets about 780 RWHP out of the LSA on their Stage 5 X package (Baddest it gets). Keep in mind, they're listing their numbers in CRANK HP not rear WHEEL HP. http://vengeanceracing.net/packages-...amaro-zl1.html

4.5” Cold Air Induction

Nick Williams 102mm DBW Throttle body

Ported Supercharger | Inlet | 102mm Snout

Vengeance Racing -12 AN Fitting/Line Upgrade for ZL1 Lid

2.55” Upper Pullley

Solid Isolator

ATI LSA Overdrive Balancer

9.5” Overdrive Ring

Crank Bolt

Idler Relocation Kit

Appropriate serpentine belt

Alky Control Dual Nozzle Methanol Injection System

VP M1 Methanol

Mast Motorsports or Trickflow 255 CNC LS3 Cylinder heads

GM MLS Head Gaskets

ARP Head Studs

High Performance Lifters

GM Lifter Trays

Vengeance Racing Custom Camshaft

Vengeance Racing Dual Spring Kit w/TI Retainers

ARP Cam Bolts

3 Bolt Timing Gear

Vengeance Racing Hardened Pushrods

Trunion Upgrade

Katech C5R Timing Chain

Melling High Volume Oil Pump

All Gaskets & Seals

Billet Catch Can with AN Lines/Fittings

Vengeance Racing Valve Cover Breather

160* Thermostat

Vengeance Racing Heat Exchanger system

High Capacity Trunk Mount HX Coolant Tank with pump

Vengeance Racing High Temperature Protective Heat Sleeves

NGK TR7IX Spark Plugs

American Racing Stainless Long tube Headers with 3” X pipe

GM MLS Exhaust Manifold Gaskets

High Flow LSA Fuel Injectors

High Capacity Fuel System

Vengeance Racing Flex Fuel Kit

E85 Flex Fuel

Let's look at a build I'd call max effort:
9.1 + 2.5 Pulleys (As much as safe), big cam, ported heads or aftermarket heads, E85, Meth injection, ported blower/snout, 4.5" intake, and straight 3" exhaust. This is a full on MAX Non-nitrous LSA and is going to be really uncomfortable on the street as well as quite unreliable for any kind of long distance stuff with crazy IAT temps in cruises (traffic, slow etc.). I'd bet that above list would make 780 RWHP. Now if you were going to spray the car, you're talking even faster wear and tear on the engine.

OP, it sounds like you're building a show truck or a car show pop the hood look at me truck? If so, you do NOT want this max effort build, at least I'd never do it. You can toss your reliability right out the window. Now, you could come down about 60 RWHP from the above setup and still have a reliable setup. What parts? Well, scrap the 9.1 or a 8.6. Ditch the aftermarket heads, and forget the Meth injection. (You can do these things because your temps will be lower). Now you're looking at around 700-715 RWHP if not a tad more and you're way more reliable than the above.

Quick numbers: $12,000+ LSA. At least $15,000-$20,000 in mods + a bunch of labor. You're north of $30,000 now in engine.

If I was you, I'd go buy an LSx and put a Procharger on it. 800 RWHP would be conservative on such a setup.

OP, I can give you all the numbers and info I can on pulleys and all that to save your googling if you want to PM me.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:11 PM   #14
2013 ZL1 #7860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Frankly I don't really care what certain people have done out there. 9.55 + 2.55 is entirely too much. No need to argue. While it can be done and people do it, it's kind of like crack, sure it's done but no it's not good for longevity and no you can't tell side effects until it's too late, in this case, expensive.
Well I just swapped on the 10" lower and kept the 2.5" upper so I wonder what your opinion is of that?