Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #15
77rs

Drives: '13 SS/RS conv. RY
Ford didn't have a floorshift till late 1927.
77rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #16
Edzo

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS and 63 Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
Okay, here's a more trivial "interesting" historical fact: REO Speed Wagon was a vehicle, long before it was a rock band. Some of y'all might be too young to remember the REO Motor Company (yes, I am too young for that!), and many may be too young to remember REO Speedwagon, the band, but... the band was named after the vehicle, and not the other way around!
Read about this in Muscle Car Review, "Olds had a wagon that could get goods to market faster than other wagons," ergo, the speedwagon!
Edzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #17
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Most prototypes of the muslce car era could not be licensed or insured as they were not DOT legal. They were unceremoniously crushed after the car show season

The prototype Buick GSX was an exception. Fully street legal with a Stage 1 455. This car was a star of the auto show circuit, with a special pearlescent paint job and boldly contrasting accent colors. After the show season was over and it was briefly on display at a dealership, it was sold through the dealer and survived to modern day although it needed restoration; Buick wasn't interested in keeping it and neither was GM. The Holy Grail of Buick muscle: out the door, with non-production parts!

http://www.buickperformanceclub.com/GSXPrototype.htm (the captions do not really even do justice to the non-production parts: hood scoops are completely different, front airdam shaped differently, seat covers were not "custom", they were one-off for the prototype, etc)

This link shows production '70 GSX examples

http://www.buickgsx.net/1970GSXPIC.htm
Old 12-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #18
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
The first concept car was the Buick Y-Job

It dates back to 1938
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #19
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Automotive styling was more or less invented by Harley J Earl, the first head of GM 'Art & Color Division' -eventually renamed to 'GM Design'. Only 6 people in the history of General Motors has ever held that position

A few innovations that are credited to him are the concept car, clay modeling (which is still used today), and tail fins. Additionally, the Harley J Earl trophy is awarded to the winner of Nascar's Daytona 500 race. Sitting atop the 4' tall trophy is a minature replica of one of Earl's prototype cars, the Firebird I.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 12-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #20
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77rs View Post
REO Ransom E. Oldsmobile
Ransom E. Olds, hence Olds-mobile.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #21
77rs

Drives: '13 SS/RS conv. RY
Joe Bortz is the king of collecting, findingg old shiow cars. Many of GM's cars were sent to one junkyard- I don't remember the name- they had to be cut up in front of GM personel. But many were cut up a certain way thast they could later be put back together! Thank goodness!
77rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #22
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Google reveals interesting things all the time

The McLaren F1 Gearbox Prototype Used A Chevy V8.
McLaren needed an engine to test the gearbox for the F1. The motor needed to have enough torque to replicate what they expected from their eventual production unit, so they picked a good ol' Chevy 454 big block. 'MERICA!

or how about

The Ford GT Is So Strong That During The "Roof Crush" Test, It Broke The Crushing Machine.
Alternatively, Ford didn't have a roof-crushing machine strong enough to crumple even one measly little supercar. Lawl.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #23
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
In it's earlier years ('20's-'30's) before Fisher Body became a part of GM they produced car bodies for many other manufacturers, including Ford. At the Norwood Ohio plant that for a time exclusively built Camaros the factory was distinctly separated with a wall between the two. When the Fisher side completed Camaro/Firebird "bodies" they shoved them through a hole in the wall to the GM/Chevrolet side for the rest of the assembly process even after GM owned Fisher Body. They even had separate break/dining facilities and competed with each other production wise.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #24
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by crysalis_01 View Post
The Ford GT Is So Strong That During The "Roof Crush" Test, It Broke The Crushing Machine.
Alternatively, Ford didn't have a roof-crushing machine strong enough to crumple even one measly little supercar. Lawl.
Same thing with the Tesla Model S. Maxed out all of the safety tests and they couldn't roll it over the traditional way.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:00 PM   #25
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
Cadillac developed the electric starter after a man died from an infection from a broken jaw received when the engine backfired while hand cranking. The starter drive, commonly known as a bendix, came from the designers name.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:11 PM   #26
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Kingsford charcoal was a by product of Ford Motor Company.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #27
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

In 1965, GM sold over a million Impalas in the US -no other nameplate has done so before or since.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 12-31-2013, 09:15 AM   #28
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
General Motors became so dominant that the U.S. Government at least discussed breaking it up claiming they had achieved a monopoly in the market.

General Motors is often credited with inhibiting the development of mass transit in the U.S.

We often forget our history, but GM was so dominant through the early 70s and even well into the 80s. But every year I worked there the market share dropped except for 2.

In 1999, GM sold 5 Million units in the U.S. market. By 2012, that was halved to around 2.5 Million units.