Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-05-2011, 08:14 AM   #71
kbui

Drives: 85 Vette, 07 Escalade ESV, 03 GMC,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merk247 View Post
Everyone's afm is working as designed as far as I can tell from posts. Want to know how to disable it? There's 3 ways .1 drive with your foot to the floor at all times. 2 learn to drive stick daily. 3 void your warranty. Its there for a reason you knew it when you bought the car and should only come on during light load light throttle situations so it shouldnt be affecting your performance during hard pulls so whats the problem.the car wasnt ment to be modified either so adding exhausts or intakes or engine mounts and getting abnormal sounds during operation is the result of YOUR actions not gms design problems.
A lot of us have to disagree with your assessment as to AFM is working as intended. If you have been following these various AFM threads, posts from Jeff (GM rep) have indicated otherwise. Please reread the other threads for Jeff's posts. AFM was INTENDED to be DEACTIVATED in Sport AND Manual modes, but most of us KNOW that AFM is always ACTIVE in Sport mode and also ACTIVE in Manual mode in some cars. What's the point of having a Sport mode which hurt your MPG but still have AFM ruining your driving experience. This is what we are looking for GM to correct AFM so that it will work as INTENDED. Most of us are looking to appeal to GM's technical support to improve customer's satisfaction. I don't think anyone is balking at a reasonably priced factory tune to make sure AFM is disabled in Sport and Manual modes so we can keep the warranty. How do we start this petition to GM?

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
Whiteside Customs Super Street 2 Package w/ coilovers
BC Racing Coilovers and lowered, Whiteline Bushings & Swaybars
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
kbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #72
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
I think that we could start a poll. I'm not sure we'd get the most visibility in the warranty thread. Maybe the mods could suggest a location. We first need to agree on what answers would be in the poll.

Here is something to throw out there:

For your automatic SS camaro, how happy are you with Active Fuel Management?
1. I don't know what it is.
2. I like it.
3. I could live with it or without it.
4. I wish I could disable it.
5. I already got rid of it.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:28 AM   #73
5thGenIndy500

Drives: 2011 Indy 500 Pace Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
I think that we could start a poll. I'm not sure we'd get the most visibility in the warranty thread. Maybe the mods could suggest a location. We first need to agree on what answers would be in the poll.

Here is something to throw out there:

For your automatic SS camaro, how happy are you with Active Fuel Management?
1. I don't know what it is.
2. I like it.
3. I could live with it or without it.
4. .
5. I already got rid of it.
I like that idea maybe we could add;

4. I would be interested in a GM performance tune to remove it.

I was also thinking about a thread like the ones I have seen where people respond to whether they are attended events. When you click yes it lists your user name. The question for them to respond to might be something like; Are you in support of having GM offer a performance upgrade that disables AFM in Sport and Manual mode. When we get enough L99 owners to reply we can approach GM about the option.

Can the moderator please advise/help us out here. I would like to see it go into the general area maybe as it would get the most exposure.
5thGenIndy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #74
Switchback700

Drives: 2010 2SS IBM L99
I've already tuned mine out.... but count me in if we need more people to get something going with GM..... if it would have stayed off in sport mode I would have not got a tune so soon, mine did stay off in tapshift 100% of the time, (and no, I was not driving out of AFM parameters, actually cruise control in the city at 40-55 mph in 6th gear, as soon as I would hold paddle and get back to sport mode, instant AFM) but that is not a good enough solution if GM Jeff says it should be off in sport mode too....... a dealer tune option would be awesome.
Switchback700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #75
silverbullet10
Ken

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Sell it

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysSS View Post
I took my SS in yesterday because of a noise that sounds like it's farting at 12-1400 rpms and sometimes just going down the hwy. I did put on a GM after factory exhaust too. The svc guy was trying to tell me he thinks its the AFM and I wasn't buying it, but sounds like it might be. He said the exhaust systems actually enhance that sound. I would not have put it on had I known that.....It is also making a winding sound at low speeds as I accelerate. It's brand new 1000 miles on it. I've had it in the shop at least 9 days since I've had it (since June) and I am beginning to feel like there are some major issues with these cars. I love it but I am not loving the inconvenience of having it at the dealer so much. It's a sports car, it doesn't need freakin the fuel mgmt crap on it! I bought it instead of a Vette I wanted and now I wonder if I made a mistake. I guess I can always keep it for a year then sell it....Hate to do that.
I figured out real quick that some of these cars have major problems. I sold mine and bought a 2011 Corvette. My 2010 SS/RS spent more time in the shop than on the road. Very frusterating when you have major problems and the dealership either refuses to acknowledge the problem or just doesn't have the resourses to fix it. Either way I loved the car and I'll probably have another one when they get the bugs worked out.
silverbullet10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #76
MudderFinger

Drives: 2011 IOM SS/RS
I don't think anyone would have bought the L99 if they knew that the car was going to hesitate, surge, and lose power just to save one MPG! Not to mention the annoying sound once a aftermarket exhaust is added. I also did not pay a extra $1200 for a automatic to have to ride around using stupid paddle shifters all the time! I wish they would have offered a real shifter to change gears with if I was going to have to use the M mode?
MudderFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:11 PM   #77
2SS BUMBLBE

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS/L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbui View Post
A lot of us have to disagree with your assessment as to AFM is working as intended. If you have been following these various AFM threads, posts from Jeff (GM rep) have indicated otherwise. Please reread the other threads for Jeff's posts. AFM was INTENDED to be DEACTIVATED in Sport AND Manual modes, but most of us KNOW that AFM is always ACTIVE in Sport mode and also ACTIVE in Manual mode in some cars. What's the point of having a Sport mode which hurt your MPG but still have AFM ruining your driving experience. This is what we are looking for GM to correct AFM so that it will work as INTENDED. Most of us are looking to appeal to GM's technical support to improve customer's satisfaction. I don't think anyone is balking at a reasonably priced factory tune to make sure AFM is disabled in Sport and Manual modes so we can keep the warranty. How do we start this petition to GM?
:troll:
2SS BUMBLBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:20 PM   #78
2SS BUMBLBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merk247 View Post
Everyone's afm is working as designed as far as I can tell from posts. Want to know how to disable it? There's 3 ways .1 drive with your foot to the floor at all times. 2 learn to drive stick daily. 3 void your warranty. Its there for a reason you knew it when you bought the car and should only come on during light load light throttle situations so it shouldnt be affecting your performance during hard pulls so whats the problem.the car wasnt ment to be modified either so adding exhausts or intakes or engine mounts and getting abnormal sounds during operation is the result of YOUR actions not gms design problems.
If the car was not meant to be modified, why does GM sell performance parts for it? The AFM is not supposed to be active in S/M modes, that is the problem. Did you read the whole thread?
Old 08-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #79
Jagerday

Drives: 2010 RJT SS/RS LS3
Maybe this has been said somewhere in these 78 post, I wasn't going to read them all. From what I understand, GM did this to avoid the gussler tax. That being said I just cant even fathom buying a 400+ HP car that is AUTOMATIC. I can see it if you were going to race your car and try for the fastest possible 1/4 time, but if you do that than you've moded and tuned so go ahead and tune out AFM. But for those of us that just want a fun fast car to drive on the roads (maybe a little to fast sometimes), get a stick! If you have some sort of disability than I'm sorry, we all understand why you drive an auto...just my $.02 sorry for the rant...
Jagerday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #80
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS BUMBLBE View Post
If the car was not meant to be modified, why does GM sell performance parts for it? The AFM is not supposed to be active in S/M modes, that is the problem. Did you read the whole thread?
If you had read the thread you would have seen this GM vehicle that clearly shows V4 in the DIC when in 4 cyl mode. Also note the M which is manual mode. And if you have seen the Camaro tuning tables there is no doubt it's supposed to be there.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=44

Getting GM to allow dealers to turn it off in Sport Mode seems like a great fix here. That way it's totally active in D and can pass any CAFE standards. It's such an easy thing to do, but I'm sure there are other factors preventing this that we don't know about.

Last edited by mlee; 08-05-2011 at 09:14 PM. Reason: spelling
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 12:26 AM   #81
2SS BUMBLBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
If you had read the thread you would have seen this GM vehicle that clearly shows V4 in the DIC when in 4 cyl mode. Also note the M which is manual mode. And if you have seen the Camaro tuning tables there is no doubt it's supposed to be there.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=44

Getting GM to allow dealers to turn it off in Sport Mode seems like a great fix here. That way it's totally active in D and can pass any CAFE standards. It's such an easy thing to do, but I'm sure there are other factors preventing this that we don't know about.
I have read the whole thread. According to others (see below) here, the DoD/AFM should not engage in M/S mode. According to you and some other folks, it should. FBodFather, you want to chime in on this and provide some definitive answers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
Thanks Jeff,
I would like to know from your technical department if there is any technical reason why I should not turn this off. I mean, is it going to break anything if this is disabled? I would also like to know if GM is not allowed to turn this off because of some political factor such as MPG ratings. We just need a little help here. These are awesome cars, but we are seeing people trade their cars and probably not buying camaros due to this one feature alone. I'd appreciate if you looked into some type of solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Unfortunately I don't have any information whether from my technical department or my other resources on whether or not tuning this system out would negatively affect the rest of the vehicle. I am also not sure why this feature is inculded with the vehicle. Also to answer another question that you have, AFM should deactivate if you put the vehicle into manual mode (either Sports mode or Tap-shift). Once you put the vehicle back into D mode the AFM system would then re-activate and act upon your vehicle normally. I hope that helps to answer some of your questions.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 08-06-2011, 01:09 AM   #82
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS BUMBLBE View Post
I have read the whole thread. According to others (see below) here, the DoD/AFM should not engage in M/S mode. According to you and some other folks, it should. FBodFather, you want to chime in on this and provide some definitive answers?
No need to quote for me... Believe me I have read it all.

If you look at the tuning tables in both HP Tuners and EFI Live, you will see DOD on/off for each gear individually in (D) 1 through 6. AND you will see this same table for (M) Sport Mode gears 1 through 6. I have had two L99 cars myself with DOD tuned completely out in M only. I'm NOT talking about using paddles or any or that nonsense... just the FACT that DOD or AFM is part of both D and M and they can be tuned separately... Exactly the same as it is in the Tahoe pics I posted.

Again it would be nice if GM would let us turn it off in M and leave it on in D like I did, but without losing warranty.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:37 AM   #83
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysSS View Post
I took my SS in yesterday because of a noise that sounds like it's farting at 12-1400 rpms and sometimes just going down the hwy. I did put on a GM after factory exhaust too. The svc guy was trying to tell me he thinks its the AFM and I wasn't buying it, but sounds like it might be. He said the exhaust systems actually enhance that sound. I would not have put it on had I known that.....It is also making a winding sound at low speeds as I accelerate. It's brand new 1000 miles on it. I've had it in the shop at least 9 days since I've had it (since June) and I am beginning to feel like there are some major issues with these cars. I love it but I am not loving the inconvenience of having it at the dealer so much. It's a sports car, it doesn't need freakin the fuel mgmt crap on it! I bought it instead of a Vette I wanted and now I wonder if I made a mistake. I guess I can always keep it for a year then sell it....Hate to do that.
Farting noise = AFM , whining noise, now this is an issue needed to be fixed. Should've bought the vette.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:47 AM   #84
2011SS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6
Just tune it out and don't look back. Now enjoy your ride the way it was meant to be. You can find a lot of more important things to worry about than your warranty that you may never need to use. Ted at JRE is the man, he will fix you up.

SPARKS SS emblems, PUTCO mailslot led, AAC led side markers,
AUTOLUMINATION drl's, f/r turn sig,dome, trunk, license led's,
SOUTHERN CAR PARTS sequential turn signals,
BIG WORM GRAPHICS hood spears, mail slot, gills
3M CRYSTALLINE 40% window tint
HURST shifter/plate, GMPARTS quarter flares
RPI flat black bezels and rjt license plate frame
STREET SCENE chin splitter

2011SS is offline   Reply With Quote