Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 01-21-2024, 02:48 PM   #1
Rusty Shackleford

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Looking for some advice on a driveline noise.

Bone stock car except for axle back exhaust.

Started getting a noise when I take up slack in the driveline, both on acceleration and deceleration. It's just a slight higher pitch clunk, but there every time I let off the clutch or let off the gas, basically when the drive line has some slack and then it's taken away.

So I lifted the car up today, got the exhaust and heat shield out of the way. The u-joint appears to be in good shape, the center support bearing does as well. I can hold the front section and twist the rear, and it'll make the noise, which sounds like it's generated from about mid-way up the front section of the shaft, internally. I can push on the DS right at the center support area and deflect the bushing on the support bearing enough that it'll make the noise too.

How far does the splined section of the shaft protrude into the front section? it's almost like it's deflecting just enough and the splined section is barely hitting the inside of the front section. I just don't know if that's even possible? Again, nothing in my drive-line is sloppy in any way.

I'm wondering if the center support bushing is getting tired and allowing this to happen? If so, I'm seriously considering the JXB center support as a replacement.
https://www.jxbperformance.com/produ...arrier-upgrade

Anyone else ran into this? What were your findings and solution?

Thanks
Rusty Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 01:12 PM   #2
Rusty Shackleford

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Well, it appears that it is just the "camaro clunk", or maybe the "tremec clunk"? Many threads about it online across manufacturers using the 6060 and even other transmissions. Annoying as hell, guess I'll learn to live with it or drive it until whatever it is gives up and then I'll know what's bad.
Rusty Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 12:16 PM   #3
kennyry83

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
It sounds like it may be differential backlash which seems to be pretty common. I had some in my SS diff as well as the ZL1 diff I got from EBay. Seems to be more noticeable in stick cars (mine is as well.)

My theory is autos aren't giving as much driveline shock as manual cars (based on driving style.) I'm doing exactly what your doing, living with it and keep moving on haha.

Just for giggles, you may check your rear sway bar links and make sure the rubber isn't worn or they aren't loose.
kennyry83 is offline   Reply With Quote