Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-20-2009, 01:12 PM   #29
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Why would a DBW throttle not be capable of malfunctioning? It's far more complex than a cable throttle. DBW can malfunction in the computer, a short on the wire going to the actuator, or in the actuator itself.
Or the throttle could get stuck in the throttle body.

But I’d give you pretty good odds that ECM compares the throttle position sensor’s reading to the signal it is sending to the actuator and will kill the engine if the two get out of sync. And the sensor on the pedal is actually a gang of sensors in parallel so the computer can spot a simple failure there to. And if I was running an auto maker, I’d make sure that the computer was programmed to kill the engine if it ever sees heavy acceleration and a mashed brake pedal (unless you were in “Competition Mode”).

I think the only real question is “Did the kid know which pedal he was standing on?”
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:35 PM   #30
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Ape View Post
I think the only real question is “Did the kid know which pedal he was standing on?”
That is quite a common thing...there's always someone plowing into a donut shop or convenience store because they panicked and stomped the wrong pedal after accidentally choosing the wrong gear.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #31
Super83Z

Drives: 1999 Z28 1983 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
That is quite a common thing...there's always someone plowing into a donut shop or convenience store because they panicked and stomped the wrong pedal after accidentally choosing the wrong gear.
Yea about 2 years ago this happened at a local hospital. An elderly woman drove through the lobby and killed a doctor and a receptionist.
14 Silverado
Super83Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:36 PM   #32
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
If you can't Dodge it, Ram it!
And apparently, the driver couldn't dodge a pole!! LOL
The poor Rendezvous...
Old 04-20-2009, 02:38 PM   #33
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Anyways, the Chally looks much more agressive now, compared to what it looked before! It's brows all furrowed and whatnot!!
Muscle master, you should do the "pole" mod to yours!! Probably frees up some weight!
Old 04-20-2009, 03:00 PM   #34
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
Anyways, the Chally looks much more agressive now, compared to what it looked before! It's brows all furrowed and whatnot!!
Muscle master, you should do the "pole" mod to yours!! Probably frees up some weight!
They should do them to all the camaro's while they're at it, they can stand to lose some of that blubber too.

jk btw

Last edited by THE EVIL TW1N; 04-20-2009 at 05:37 PM.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:36 PM   #35
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
That sucks...a nice car lost to boneheadedness. I mean, they don't even make a Buick Rendezvous anymore!

Kidding. At least nobody was hurt. Just the kids pride.
toesuf94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #36
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by toesuf94 View Post
That sucks...a nice car lost to boneheadedness. I mean, they don't even make a Buick Rendezvous anymore!
They probably did the dealership a favor! Im sure the insurance will cover the cost of the buick (if its totaled).
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:50 PM   #37
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super83Z View Post
Yea about 2 years ago this happened at a local hospital. An elderly woman drove through the lobby and killed a doctor and a receptionist.
I worked my way through school driving a tow truck and saw this every few months. Some of them admitted it (most didn't) but they all drove autos...

I think I even did it once myself, but since I also stomped on the clutch it wasn't to exciting.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:11 PM   #38
hollywoodGU

Drives: 1999 Firebird Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdjizm View Post
drive by wire got stuck? i highly doubt it, if this is true we will see a MASSIVE recall on every challenger ever made, the guy panicked, smashed the accelerator and decided to go into a pole instead of in traffic, at least he didnt slam into some people...

throttle stuck my ass..
it does sound fishy but this is the second story i have heard about this happening...and the first one the guy shut the car off and didnt hurt anyone or anything including the car, so he had no reason to lie, if i find the article i will post it. So that does make me wonder, maybe this guy is just in a bAd place
hollywoodGU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:27 PM   #39
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
While checking on recalls for my wife's Toyota Camry, I found several instances reported of the throttle malfunctioning and suddenly going WOT. They were all on very low mileage vehicles. I hope this isn't happening to the Challengers too.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:11 PM   #40
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingnotes View Post
While checking on recalls for my wife's Toyota Camry, I found several instances reported of the throttle malfunctioning and suddenly going WOT. They were all on very low mileage vehicles. I hope this isn't happening to the Challengers too.
C'mon, a Camry just wants to go fast. Can't you see it was built that way with love and care from its manufacturer?

:belly roll:
Screw that who am i kidding!!
Old 04-22-2009, 07:41 PM   #41
LosXC451

Drives: 2010 SS SIM w/ RS
Maybe he was trying to make a custom, lighter Challenger by crashing it and having parts fall off...he was scared of the camaro...
LosXC451 is offline   Reply With Quote