Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-28-2014, 03:19 PM   #1
berky1976

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/1LE
Warped Rotors

I have a 2014 Camaro SS/1LE with 13k miles on it. at around 8k miles I noticed a vibration starting in the rear and by the time I hit 11k miles it was to the point where I didn't like driving it due to the vibration when braking. Obvious warped rotors, but I was surprised to see it happen when most of my miles driven are highway. I drive very little city miles at the end of my daily drive to and from work. I took it in and they told me that the winter wheels I had put on the car at Discount Tire most likely caused the warped rotors. They said that they fixed the issue at no charge. All they did was resurface all four rotors which I find usually doesn't fix the issue, it just temporarily removes the vibration for a while. On top of that they remove surface material from the rotor which reduces its life even if it doesn't start warping again. Discount tire uses torque sticks the same as every other location that deals with wheels on a regular basis including the very dealership I use. I'm about to take the car back in for service on the vibration that has come back in the brakes. I have a feeling they are going to try and get me to pay for the replacement of the rotors. I personally put on my Summer wheels and used a certified torque wrench to put on the lug nuts. Is it fair to be upset that I only have 13k miles on a set of rotors and they are warped as if I've been doing track days every weekend? If they tell me I have to pay for the rotors I have a feeling I'm going to get really pissed off. It is my daily driver so I baby it and I find it dirty that they didn't swap out the rotors initially back when I had 10k on them. Any tips on how I should approach this? Thanks in advance!
berky1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #2
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
Do you take your car to the track? How do u have warped rotors already?
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:28 PM   #3
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by berky1976 View Post
I have a 2014 Camaro SS/1LE with 13k miles on it. at around 8k miles I noticed a vibration starting in the rear and by the time I hit 11k miles it was to the point where I didn't like driving it due to the vibration when braking. Obvious warped rotors, but I was surprised to see it happen when most of my miles driven are highway. I drive very little city miles at the end of my daily drive to and from work. I took it in and they told me that the winter wheels I had put on the car at Discount Tire most likely caused the warped rotors. They said that they fixed the issue at no charge. All they did was resurface all four rotors which I find usually doesn't fix the issue, it just temporarily removes the vibration for a while. On top of that they remove surface material from the rotor which reduces its life even if it doesn't start warping again. Discount tire uses torque sticks the same as every other location that deals with wheels on a regular basis including the very dealership I use. I'm about to take the car back in for service on the vibration that has come back in the brakes. I have a feeling they are going to try and get me to pay for the replacement of the rotors. I personally put on my Summer wheels and used a certified torque wrench to put on the lug nuts. Is it fair to be upset that I only have 13k miles on a set of rotors and they are warped as if I've been doing track days every weekend? If they tell me I have to pay for the rotors I have a feeling I'm going to get really pissed off. It is my daily driver so I baby it and I find it dirty that they didn't swap out the rotors initially back when I had 10k on them. Any tips on how I should approach this? Thanks in advance!
I have never known rotors to warp from anything but the excess heat of hard breaking. I am having trouble seeing how winter wheels could cause rotors to warp. And through the countless wheel removal / re-installs I have done, I have never warped a rotor. I am confident you would fubar a wheel before you would warp a rotor by over torquing. ON top of all this, we are talking about rear rotors. Something seems fishy here, unless you have been driving that car very, very hard......not that that would be a bad thing! Hanging parking break maybe?
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:28 PM   #4
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
I would be pissed as well. Shaving the rotors at 11K miles is totally unsat, especially if they didn't install new brake pads. They should have installed NEW rotors. Perhaps you should contact our GM Rep with your issue.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:31 PM   #5
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
I have never known rotors to warp from anything but the excess heat of hard breaking. I am having trouble seeing how winter wheels could cause rotors to warp. And through the countless wheel removal / re-installs I have done, I have never warped a rotor. I am confident you would fubar a wheel before you would warp a rotor by over torquing. ON top of all this, we are talking about rear rotors. Something seems fishy here, unless you have been driving that car very, very hard......not that that would be a bad thing! Hanging parking break maybe?
Right. And doesn't the 1LE have beefed up brakes, rotors, pads, etc., to accommodate hard "braking". (sorry)
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
Old 05-28-2014, 03:36 PM   #6
berky1976

I don't track the car, drag the car, or race the car. I plan on buying a new daily driver before I intend on doing that. My theory is that the stability control during the winter caused the issue. I agree that it is suspect that the rear rotors are more warped than the front. The stability control would be working harder on the rear during the winter time due to slippage. I started turning off all of the traction and stability control when I drive now, but if it was the stability control during the winter, that still doesn't explain the front rotors.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:37 PM   #7
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Don't know what to make of the warped rotor problem, but my specialty tire store never uses torque sticks. They torque wheels by hand with a torque wrench.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:39 PM   #8
berky1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Don't know what to make of the warped rotor problem, but my specialty tire store never uses torque sticks. They torque wheels by hand with a torque wrench.
I would prefer that stores would do that too. I prefer using that method when I swap wheels.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:39 PM   #9
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
Did you ever hit like a slick spot and only rear brakes engaged for a quick second or two? Cause I did have a 03 ranger with 7k miles on and I had to slam on the brakes in pouring rain and didn't notice my drivers side front tire was on the side markings for the edge of the road the paint they put down and it slid then grabbed real quick and that caused my rotor to be warped on that truck cause it was pretty roasted from that. Do anything like that happen in winter?
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:39 PM   #10
berky1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Right. And doesn't the 1LE have beefed up brakes, rotors, pads, etc., to accommodate hard "braking". (sorry)
Yes, the 1LE is the same suspension, brake, and wheel package as the ZL1 minus the magnetic shocks.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:50 PM   #11
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
The 1LE calipers, rotors, and pads are the same as any other SS.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #12
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
I had my front rotors on my 2013 F150 turned 3 times in 30,000 miles. Finally took it in a last time at 35,xxx right before warranty expired and made them replace front rotors.

The tech told me one had a hot spot in it from manufacturing and the vibration/warping would keep coming back if they weren't replaced.

No problems with my 1LE yet in almost 6,000 miles.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:14 PM   #13
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by berky1976 View Post
Yes, the 1LE is the same suspension, brake, and wheel package as the ZL1 minus the magnetic shocks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
The 1LE calipers, rotors, and pads are the same as any other SS.
Soooo... which is it?
Old 05-28-2014, 04:21 PM   #14
THR ZL1 #1
Perma Grinning

Drives: 2012 Tom Henry Racing ZL1
1LE . . DOES NOT have ZL1 brake components . . nor suspension parts . .

The brakes are SS issue powder coated red.
THR ZL1 #1 is offline   Reply With Quote