Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-20-2018, 06:36 PM   #1
CamiLFX

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS
BEYOND pissed

The engine oil dipstick on my 2014 1LS is completely dry after only 2,500 miles. I've heard of oil consumption issues with this motor before, but I haven't heard of anyone going THIS low in such a short amount of time. I've already scheduled an appointment with my local Chevrolet dealer for monday and i'm currently topping my oil off, but my anxiety is high. How f'd am I?!
CamiLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:41 PM   #2
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Maybe it wasn't filled correctly at the last change. Was it making any noise or any signs of a leak?
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:52 PM   #3
CamiLFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Maybe it wasn't filled correctly at the last change. Was it making any noise or any signs of a leak?
Well, that's what I was thinking the first time this happened. However, this last time i filled it myself and checked periodically. For the first 1,500 miles after changing the oil myself, i couldn't notice a difference in the oil level. So I did assume that it hadn't been filled properly the first time... until today when i checked at 2,500 and it ended up being nearly dry. I'm thinking about taking the hit on my trade-in and just getting something a little older (cheaper) and more reliable. I'm finding it hard to justify keeping this car as time goes by. This car makes me wish i would've kept my honda that's really saying something.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:30 PM   #4
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamiLFX View Post
Well, that's what I was thinking the first time this happened. However, this last time i filled it myself and checked periodically. For the first 1,500 miles after changing the oil myself, i couldn't notice a difference in the oil level. So I did assume that it hadn't been filled properly the first time... until today when i checked at 2,500 and it ended up being nearly dry. I'm thinking about taking the hit on my trade-in and just getting something a little older (cheaper) and more reliable. I'm finding it hard to justify keeping this car as time goes by. This car makes me wish i would've kept my honda that's really saying something.
Yeah, didnt know this was round two. That would be worrying me.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:39 PM   #5
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
How bad is the car smoking? Any leaks?
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:40 PM   #6
CamiLFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver14 View Post
How bad is the car smoking? Any leaks?
Never noticed any smoke until i was on my way home today. That being said, I was standing on the throttle which is not something I usually do. This was prior to knowing about how low my oil levels were. And there aren't any visible leaks. I'm going to see what the dealer can do for me. I hope none of the previous owners did something to it that would exempt me from warranty coverage. Guess i'll see on monday... fingers crossed.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:53 PM   #7
CamiLFX

I haven't been hearing anything abnormal from the engine. I'm going to use this as a premise to be optimistic lol.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:34 PM   #8
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
I've been pretty lucky: 171,000 miles, and there has yet to be a drop of oil in my driveway. My dipstick hasn't shown any hint of decline, ever. The only time I've had to put oil in it is when refilling it after an oil change. I'm not sure if this is because I have a remarkably special engine that's beaten the odds, or if this is what is typical.

Your issue seems catastrophic... to get to 1500 miles with no noticeable difference, then 1000 miles later to be dry means that SOMEthing pretty big happened. I can't really imagine what, though, if you don't have a pool of oil in your driveway.

Please keep us posted regarding what you find... yours could be valuable info to others.

Good luck!
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:18 PM   #9
CamiLFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
I've been pretty lucky: 171,000 miles, and there has yet to be a drop of oil in my driveway. My dipstick hasn't shown any hint of decline, ever. The only time I've had to put oil in it is when refilling it after an oil change. I'm not sure if this is because I have a remarkably special engine that's beaten the odds, or if this is what is typical.

Your issue seems catastrophic... to get to 1500 miles with no noticeable difference, then 1000 miles later to be dry means that SOMEthing pretty big happened. I can't really imagine what, though, if you don't have a pool of oil in your driveway.

Please keep us posted regarding what you find... yours could be valuable info to others.

Good luck!
I have a good grasp on how engines work, but this is beyond me. I'm in the dealership now. They're going to do an oil change, mark the dipstick and drain plug, and send me on my way. I'll come back in 1,200 miles, and if the oil consumption is excessive, they'll more than likely replace the whole damn engine. I'm still under warranty, but this car is the only car I have to get me to school and work. Stressful. I'll certainly keep you all posted. And thank you!

And it sounds like you've certainly beat the odds. I've read numerous threads about excessive oil consumption with both LLT and LFX engines. A lot of those guys caught on too late and blew their motor. I'm hoping I won't be next in line.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:42 PM   #10
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
I have seen quite a few 3.6L (regardless of RPO designation) burn oil. IMO they are a pretty crappy engine, lots of issues with them.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:24 AM   #11
CamiLFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
I have seen quite a few 3.6L (regardless of RPO designation) burn oil. IMO they are a pretty crappy engine, lots of issues with them.
No kidding. If the dealer won't honor this warranty, i'm off to new things. I'm not keeping a 3 year old car that burns a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. It's absurd.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:00 PM   #12
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Did you just buy this car used, or is this a new problem on a car that you have owned since 2014?
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:43 PM   #13
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
i can tell by ear when mine is a quart low
Old 01-25-2018, 08:26 PM   #14
CamiLFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Did you just buy this car used, or is this a new problem on a car that you have owned since 2014?
Used