Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-02-2018, 11:53 AM   #1
dlink

Drives: 2013 Camaro LS
Going Catless

Hey guys looking for some advice on my exhaust. Currently I have on a CAI INC. intake, MF res X pipe and Gibson Performance axle back mufflers. I plan on going catless in the near future. My goal is to be loud, noticeable but tasteful. I figured having the X pipe and mufflers should maintain most if not all rasp but my question is *if im looking for loud* should i also cut off my resonators or would that make the tone too raspy?

Last edited by dlink; 03-21-2018 at 12:07 PM.
dlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:07 PM   #2
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
You still have stock resonators? It won't change it much, if at all, though at that point I feel like you should have 2.5" exhaust run from the Magnaflow X to your mufflers since you're basically already there. Alternatively, leave them, I don't think you're necessarily losing anything with them on.

Magnaflow X + mufflers will keep the exhaust tame. My exhaust with the NPP mufflers closed is very palatable.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:28 PM   #3
Bagheera_thecamaro
BAGHEERA

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT
Removing the cats I don't think will really make it loud, and if anything - most states have a dislike for removing cats. Personally, if you want LOUD with our vehicles, you should be looking at a downpipe. Resonated X Pipe quiets your sound by a lot.

It's kind of like, you want loud? Deal with the rasp. Otherwise, you're not going to be extremely loud. Also, it's a v6 - you will not get anywhere near the sound of a V8 without some sort of forced induction. I also have a v6 - my car I feel is pretty loud. :-) but quiet on idle, because I live in CA and I need to be! lol.

Bagheera_thecamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:06 AM   #4
ramil13

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS
I have no cats & mufflers, xpipe, 2.5" piping everywhere and it's loud when I go above 3k rpm with no rasp, crazy amount of pops. An air intake like k&n will make it sound very deep like a v8 at higher rpms. Alot of people ask me how I make it sound like that in person
K&N intake, Custom Tune, Billet Catch Can, K.C's Ported 72mm TB & IM, Jacfab IM Spacer, Primary/Secondary Cat & Muffler Delete, Magnaflow Xpipe, 2.5" Straightpiped, GM Strut Tower Brace, Mace Engineering Cams, Solo Performance J pipes, Magnaflow Resonators x 2

340rwhp Dyno

ramil13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:55 AM   #5
dlink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagheera_thecamaro View Post
Also, it's a v6 - you will not get anywhere near the sound of a V8
No part of me is looking to attempt to replicate a V8 exhaust note as a I have a V6 and a V6 will always sound like a V6. I just want to have a nice sounding V6 with some presence.

Correct me if i'm wrong but if i decat my current downpipes doesn't that= getting catless downpipes, which, you suggested me to get?
Old 03-21-2018, 12:03 PM   #6
dlink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramil13 View Post
2.5" piping everywhere and it's loud when I go above 3k rpm with no rasp, crazy amount of pops.
This is exactly what I want. I live with two BMW 328i's then here i am with my muscle car Camaro that sounds like it has a prius exhaust.

I forgot to mention in my initial post that I have a CAI cool air intake so i am familiar with how an intake makes our cars sound.

Did your exhaust pop before you did 2.5'' piping? Did you feel a loss in torque with the wider pipes? I've heard our cars lose torque with wider pipes unless we have forced induction.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:09 PM   #7
dlink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
You still have stock resonators? It won't change it much, if at all, though at that point I feel like you should have 2.5" exhaust run from the Magnaflow X to your mufflers since you're basically already there.
First may I say you have a badass Camaro.

Secondly could you elaborate more when you said i should have 2.5'' piping since i'm already there? How great of a difference does wider piping do for our exhaust and isn't there a chance of loss in torque with wider pipes without FI?
Old 03-21-2018, 01:38 PM   #8
ramil13

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlink View Post
This is exactly what I want. I live with two BMW 328i's then here i am with my muscle car Camaro that sounds like it has a prius exhaust.

I forgot to mention in my initial post that I have a CAI cool air intake so i am familiar with how an intake makes our cars sound.

Did your exhaust pop before you did 2.5'' piping? Did you feel a loss in torque with the wider pipes? I've heard our cars lose torque with wider pipes unless we have forced induction.
Our cars use something called VVT, so removing all cats, mufflers or changing pipe diamater will not cause reductions anywhere since it can be computerized to work with these kind of mods

When I got 2.5" piping it didn't pop was just louder, when I got xpipe and cats removed downshifts on 2nd to 1st and 3rd and 2nd it pops and gurgles like crazy. Also WOT shifts from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd lets out huge pops similar to gunshots
K&N intake, Custom Tune, Billet Catch Can, K.C's Ported 72mm TB & IM, Jacfab IM Spacer, Primary/Secondary Cat & Muffler Delete, Magnaflow Xpipe, 2.5" Straightpiped, GM Strut Tower Brace, Mace Engineering Cams, Solo Performance J pipes, Magnaflow Resonators x 2

340rwhp Dyno

ramil13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:08 AM   #9
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlink View Post
First may I say you have a badass Camaro.

Secondly could you elaborate more when you said i should have 2.5'' piping since i'm already there? How great of a difference does wider piping do for our exhaust and isn't there a chance of loss in torque with wider pipes without FI?
Thanks! I really do appreciate it.

So, when I said that I meant from your engine to the Magnaflow resonated x is 2.5 but from there the stock resonators and exhaust is 2.25", but you also have an axle back which I assume is 2.5". If you're going to get into it, I would say just run 2.5" pipe from the x to your mufflers so it's uniform. Also, yes, you can lose torque with wider pipes, but you'd have to go up to 3" for that. I think our cars would be fine even with 2.75" exhaust but that's neither here nor there. The biggest difference would be sound but really you aren't changing too much so it's all about worth for you.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote