Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2018, 10:17 PM   #323
rontammy0
Dr feelgood
 
rontammy0's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alliston Ontario Canada
Posts: 8,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver14 View Post
Does the Buick use the same transmission as the Camaro?
Hope not...the Buick will be getting the A10 next if thats the case.
__________________


K@N Typhoon Cai
Vmax Ported Throttlebody
MSD Super Conducter plug wires
StainlessWorks1 7/8 longtube headers
391 gears
Cosra Exreme 3 inch catback exhaust.
Circle D 3200 stall converter
305 x 35 20 Nitto 555r drag radials
AGP Performance tuned
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 12:15 AM   #324
CamaroFred


 
CamaroFred's Avatar
 
Drives: Miss Con Ception
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 2,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Both use the 8L90. Next year the Buick moves to the 9T50 co-developed with Ford.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Performance means nothing without durability. Thats why the A10 showed up. Sure isnt because the A8 is the future.
The 9T and 10T are built with a partnership with Ford. Ford had first dibs on the 10-speed, GM the 9 speed.

What is interesting, is the transmission was based on the Turbo-Hydromatic 6Lxx.

Quote:
But never say never, he adds, noting that when GM deployed its revolutionary lineup of 6-speed automatic transmissions a decade ago no one imagined hardware and software technology would advance so dramatically to permit 9- and 10-speed executions.
General Motors | Hydra-Matic 9T50 9-Speed Automatic Transmission ...


Soccer Mom doesn't even want to feel a shift, she could loose an eye when applying make-up. So, no doubt, the Buick will not have neck-snapping shifts.
Different applications will have different tunes.
__________________
2011 1SS/RS LS3 CGM
CamaroFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:40 AM   #325
Memphis SS

 
Memphis SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Arlington, TN.
Posts: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
A comment made by a major publication about the A8 transmission, which was currently being discussed, is certainly germane to the topic. If you can’t keep up, I can try using crayons and pictures for you.
Maybe you should actually read the article before posting.. It's a Japanese build transmission NOT the GM 8 speed used in the Camaro. I've attached the link below from Car and Driver that blasted the Japanese built 8 speed (See quote from article below). I've also posted a link to help you out on what vehicles actually use the GM build 8 speed.

"U.S.-bound TourXs are fitted with a unique powertrain: GM’s corporate turbo 2.0-liter four paired with an Aisin-sourced eight-speed automatic."

https://www.caranddriver.com/buick/regal-tourx

I think you need to keep your big crayons and pictures to help yourself there buddy .. I hope all the info helps you keep up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Both use the 8L90. Next year the Buick moves to the 9T50 co-developed with Ford.
Again Not Correct, Buick is NOT on the list for use of the 8L90 based on Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_8L90_transmission
__________________
2017 Camaro SS Hyper Blue
2011 Camaro SS 2004 Corvette CE SOLD

Last edited by Memphis SS; 04-23-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:50 AM   #326
Memphis SS

 
Memphis SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Arlington, TN.
Posts: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Nice Camaro......the A6 was a bit of a dog stock . Not terrible. Just a simple tune made it way better. I only did gears and converter in the last while. I drove and raced the car with a very mild trans tune for years. It would chirp third on the right surface. Wonder how the the 5th gen would do with an A8 .

Good Question.. it would be cool to meet up at a track with about 3 to 6 GEN 5 SS and one GEN6 SS and do some test..

1. GEN 5 with on the 8 speed
2. GEN 5 with the 436HP LS3 and the 8 speed
3. GEN 5 with the 455HP LT1 and the 8 speed
4. GEN 5 with the 455HP LT1 and the 10 speed

I would like to see what we both would think moving from one to the other. I've got the feeling the LT1 and the 10 speed would be a kill combo in the GEN 5.. even with the added weight of the GEN5 over the GEN6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Performance means nothing without durability. Thats why the A10 showed up. Sure isnt because the A8 is the future.
I think the real reason the A10 showed up was the Mustang GT now has it and claims it's faster then the current SS which means GM is answering the call by taking the ZL1 trans programing with the A10 and wanting to move back to the top. If it was based on durability I don't think they would have left it in the Camaro lineup at all. (just my thoughts on it)

Well...Back to the GEN6 refresh... I try to reserve comment until I see new changes in person.. I wasn't to warm and fuzzy about it when I first saw the pictures.. I did just watch a YouTube walk around of a silver SS and it looks a lot better to me then the first released pictures. I will have to go check one out this fall at the local dealer just to see what it looks like in person. right now I'm on the fence.
__________________
2017 Camaro SS Hyper Blue
2011 Camaro SS 2004 Corvette CE SOLD

Last edited by Memphis SS; 04-22-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:07 AM   #327
rontammy0
Dr feelgood
 
rontammy0's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alliston Ontario Canada
Posts: 8,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
Good Question.. it would be cool to meet up at a track with about 3 to 6 GEN 5 SS and one GEN6 SS and do some test..

1. GEN 5 with on the 8 speed
2. GEN 5 with the 436HP LS3 and the 8 speed
3. GEN 5 with the 455HP LT1 and the 8 speed
4. GEN 5 with the 455HP LT1 and the 10 speed

I would like to see what we both would think moving from one to the other. I've got the feeling the LT1 and the 10 speed would be a kill combo in the GEN 5.. even with the added weight of the GEN5 over the GEN6.

Well...Back to the GEN6 refresh... I try to reserve comment until I see new changes in person.. I wasn't to warm and fuzzy about it when I first saw the pictures.. I did just watch a YouTube walk around of a silver SS and it look a lot better to me then the first released pictures. I will have to go check one out this fall at the local dealer just to see what it looks like in person. right now I'm on the fence.
I think the A8 is more responsible for the performance then LT1. I guess we will see when an A8 and the 10 square off in the 6th gen.
__________________


K@N Typhoon Cai
Vmax Ported Throttlebody
MSD Super Conducter plug wires
StainlessWorks1 7/8 longtube headers
391 gears
Cosra Exreme 3 inch catback exhaust.
Circle D 3200 stall converter
305 x 35 20 Nitto 555r drag radials
AGP Performance tuned
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:12 AM   #328
Memphis SS

 
Memphis SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Arlington, TN.
Posts: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
I think the A8 is more responsible for the performance then LT1. I guess we will see when an A8 and the 10 square off in the 6th gen.
IF Chevy does leave the LT1 at 455HP your right it will be interesting to see how much the A10 help.. it seems to have really helped the old GT get going down the track..
__________________
2017 Camaro SS Hyper Blue
2011 Camaro SS 2004 Corvette CE SOLD
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:25 AM   #329
SecondZ28
 
SecondZ28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
Ford had first dibs on the 10-speed, GM the 9 speed.
The A10 came out in the ZL1 and Raptor at the same time
__________________
'13 ZL1
'06 TBSS
'98 TJ
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:55 AM   #330
qcman

 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada eh?
Posts: 1,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
IF Chevy does leave the LT1 at 455HP your right it will be interesting to see how much the A10 help.. it seems to have really helped the old GT get going down the track..
I'm sure it will help some but going from 6 to 10 in the Coyote is a big jump for sure. And the Coyote likes to rev so those extra 4 gears would keep it in its RPM band a lot better than before.

I would think performance wise it won't matter much in the Camaro. It seems the A8 was strong in regards to driveline % losses compared to our A6's. The Gen 6 dynos around 420ish with the A8 whereas the L99 dyno'd around 330 or so. So we are losing alot more at the wheels with our trans unfortunately.

I can't imagine the A10 could be anymore efficient than the current A8 in that regard.
__________________
qcman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:11 AM   #331
Memphis SS

 
Memphis SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Arlington, TN.
Posts: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
I'm sure it will help some but going from 6 to 10 in the Coyote is a big jump for sure. And the Coyote likes to rev so those extra 4 gears would keep it in its RPM band a lot better than before.

I would think performance wise it won't matter much in the Camaro. It seems the A8 was strong in regards to driveline % losses compared to our A6's. The Gen 6 dynos around 420ish with the A8 whereas the L99 dyno'd around 330 or so. So we are losing alot more at the wheels with our trans unfortunately.

I can't imagine the A10 could be anymore efficient than the current A8 in that regard.
Your right on the driveline loss, I'm with you.. But the big thing on the A10 (when I read the reviews) once you have launched the car the added gears are very close together which keeps the car in the optimal power band, this helps midway down the track or on a road course.. It will be interesting to see when GM releases the info on the SS if the 0-60 changes. Also when Car and Driver or MT gets to track and we see how it compares to the current driveline.
__________________
2017 Camaro SS Hyper Blue
2011 Camaro SS 2004 Corvette CE SOLD
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:20 AM   #332
qcman

 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada eh?
Posts: 1,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
Your right on the driveline loss, I'm with you.. But the big thing on the A10 (when you read the reviews) once you have launched the car the added gears are very close together which keeps the car in the optimal power band, this helps midway down the track or on a road course.. It will be interesting to see when GM releases the info on the SS if the 0-60 changes. Also when Car and Driver or MT gets to track it how it compares to the current driveline.
Interesting.... I assumed with the A8 those intermediate gears were well spaced already to keep the revs up but perhaps its geared taller with a couple of overdrive gears slapped on for 7 & 8?

On my L99 1st especially & 2nd are geared on the low side which helps launching the car. My GMC pickup has an A6 in it and those gears are really tall in comparison to my Camaro.....
__________________
qcman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:54 AM   #333
rontammy0
Dr feelgood
 
rontammy0's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alliston Ontario Canada
Posts: 8,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
Interesting.... I assumed with the A8 those intermediate gears were well spaced already to keep the revs up but perhaps its geared taller with a couple of overdrive gears slapped on for 7 & 8?

On my L99 1st especially & 2nd are geared on the low side which helps launching the car. My GMC pickup has an A6 in it and those gears are really tall in comparison to my Camaro.....
Yes the gearing in the l99 is very aggressive. That one reason it doesnt get beat by the ls3 with more hp. Im not sure everybody commenting knows that
__________________


K@N Typhoon Cai
Vmax Ported Throttlebody
MSD Super Conducter plug wires
StainlessWorks1 7/8 longtube headers
391 gears
Cosra Exreme 3 inch catback exhaust.
Circle D 3200 stall converter
305 x 35 20 Nitto 555r drag radials
AGP Performance tuned
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:15 AM   #334
Memphis SS

 
Memphis SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Arlington, TN.
Posts: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Yes the gearing in the l99 is very aggressive. That one reason it doesnt get beat by the ls3 with more hp. Im not sure everybody commenting knows that
Yes sir I try to read up on about everything possible when I buy a car. When I bought the 2011 SS I had a buddy that owned a 2010. He was giving me a hard time about his having the additional HP being a stick. I had to point out the gearing..
__________________
2017 Camaro SS Hyper Blue
2011 Camaro SS 2004 Corvette CE SOLD

Last edited by Memphis SS; 04-22-2018 at 11:39 AM.
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:21 AM   #335
rontammy0
Dr feelgood
 
rontammy0's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alliston Ontario Canada
Posts: 8,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
Yes sir I try to read up on about everything possible when I buy a car. When I bought the 2011 SS I had a buddy that owned a 2010. He was giving me a hard time about his have the additional HP being a stick. I had to point out the gearing..
Lol....i thought I researched the hell out if things. I was looking at 2010s when I bought mine. My wife pointed out how the hud was available in the 2011s. I said uhhhhh ya no kidding.....but she knew i somehow missed that....2011 it was.
__________________


K@N Typhoon Cai
Vmax Ported Throttlebody
MSD Super Conducter plug wires
StainlessWorks1 7/8 longtube headers
391 gears
Cosra Exreme 3 inch catback exhaust.
Circle D 3200 stall converter
305 x 35 20 Nitto 555r drag radials
AGP Performance tuned
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:33 AM   #336
SecondZ28
 
SecondZ28's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
The 9T and 10T are built with a partnership with Ford. Ford had first dibs on the 10-speed, GM the 9 speed.

What is interesting, is the transmission was based on the Turbo-Hydromatic 6Lxx.

Interesting article today that Ford doesn't want the 9-speed, and developed their own 8-speed off of it.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ford-refu...080957793.html
__________________
'13 ZL1
'06 TBSS
'98 TJ
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.