Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 10-27-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
CamK18

Drives: 2010 1LT Vic Red
Downshifting into second...new Camaro owner/standard driver

Hey guys,

I have had my LT for about 3 weeks and i have picked up standard pretty well, I just have one problem and a question for you guys.

When in third, and downshifting into second, its extremely jerky sometimes so I have started doing a single clutch downshift and that has helped alot...but its still relatively jerky.

Is this because im possibly going to fast? It usually happens when I am slowing down, approaching a light and shifting into second at about 40 hm/h (while doing the rev-match). Is this too fast and possibly causing the jerkyness?
Old 10-27-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
What are you doing if you're NOT doing a single clutch downshift? Double clutching?

I like to blip (quick press) on the throttle as I'm downshifting. It attempts to match the engine with the higher RPMs you will have once you downshift. Sounds like you might already be doing that though...

Very easy to do on my motorcycle, but takes some practice on the car.
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #3
CamK18

Yeah thats what I have been doing, blipping the gas before the downshift..works like a charm, no jerk at all in any other gear besides second. I dont usually downshift into first so i cant say for that gear but all the others seem fine.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
nemosgt

Drives: 2006 Ford Mustang GT
Send a message via ICQ to nemosgt
Hi CamK18

Quote:
"When in third, and downshifting into second, its extremely jerky sometimes so I have started doing a single clutch downshift and that has helped alot...but its still relatively jerky."

Yeah, single-clutch downshift is the way to go. Double-clutching not required. You should not be using the transmission for slowing anyway. Downshift when you need the lower gear in order to accelerate. Use the brakes for slowing. Brake pads are cheaper than transmission repairs.

Remember, the lower gears (1st and 2nd) are comparatively steep, so try waiting till you have slowed more than for the higher gears before shifting.

Make sure you have rev-matched before releasing the clutch.
Practise makes perfect.

Cheers.
nemosgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:54 PM   #5
JHart
I haz camaro again :)

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
i usually hold my shifter next to the gear when i drop down, push the clutch in until it falls into the lower gear, and slowly let off the clutch. just takes practice man, hell i'm 17 and i've got this thing about down pat. took me about a month.

2010 silverado z71 ccsb(sold, old dd)
2010 camaro1ss(sold, missed, will have another someday)
JHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
crazz28

Drives: '10 Camaro SS/RS, '10 GMC Sierra
When you are going to that low of gear you don't have much momentum and if you aren't perfectly matched in revs, these "lightweight" cars with high hp/tq engines will do thier own thing and jerk you around until it's found the right speed.
I don't even bother trying to downshift into second unless i'm barely rolling from third..........unless I'm coming up to a tunnel or something!!
Old 10-28-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
CamK18

I did what you guys all said and im starting to get better..thanks guys!
Old 10-28-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
lcmc

Drives: 1987 IROC Z convertible
What's with double clutching. Haven't had to do that since the Model T was out!
lcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:43 PM   #9
JHart
I haz camaro again :)

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
idk what the hell double clutching is. i try to rev match my gears when downshifting, if that's double clutchin,i guess i do it alot then. lol.

2010 silverado z71 ccsb(sold, old dd)
2010 camaro1ss(sold, missed, will have another someday)
JHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:01 AM   #10
xSSkier874

Drives: 17 Silverado, 99 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHart View Post
i usually hold my shifter next to the gear when i drop down, push the clutch in until it falls into the lower gear, and slowly let off the clutch. just takes practice man, hell i'm 17 and i've got this thing about down pat. took me about a month.
big no no my friend... by doing this your slipping the clutch . This isn't as big of any issue on the stock clutch but if you plan upgrading you may want to change your technique.
xSSkier874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:41 AM   #11
Susantroy1
To All Veterans

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemosgt View Post
Hi CamK18

Quote:
"When in third, and downshifting into second, its extremely jerky sometimes so I have started doing a single clutch downshift and that has helped alot...but its still relatively jerky."

Yeah, single-clutch downshift is the way to go. Double-clutching not required. You should not be using the transmission for slowing anyway. Downshift when you need the lower gear in order to accelerate. Use the brakes for slowing. Brake pads are cheaper than transmission repairs.

Remember, the lower gears (1st and 2nd) are comparatively steep, so try waiting till you have slowed more than for the higher gears before shifting.

Make sure you have rev-matched before releasing the clutch.
Practise makes perfect.

Cheers.
I have always used engine braking on all my bikes and vehicles to assist in slowing down. I've never had a tranny problems and my brakes last well into the 40-70k range. Am I not understanding here?? is nemosgt saying that engine braking is bad on a tranny?? anybody care to clear this up???
Susantroy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:57 PM   #12
55Designs

Drives: 2010
I feel the same way and experience the same jerkiness.

For one I am not used to this driveline and I have other cars that Rev to 9000RPM and I can downshift at 4-5k RPM safely because the engines RPM will spike higher and not be a huge deal. The Camaro is a not happy doing that.

I tried downshifting on the Camro from 3-4500 RPM and it locks the rear up and skids dangerously. Going from 4th to 3rd, or 3rd to 2nd and were talking speed below 60MPH

Driving this car is an entirely new experience because its so unrefined compared to other cars I have and owned. I do hope things get better.
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:11 PM   #13
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
no no no. i can't stand it when people do that in my truck!! that's a great way to need a replacement clutch sooner. the less time you're working the clutch pedal on hard shifts like that, the better. if you want to downshift, you're much better off rev-matching because you ain't making the clutch disk slip and match engine/transmission speeds. that wears the surface more & builds up heat - 2 things you don't want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcmc View Post
What's with double clutching. Haven't had to do that since the Model T was out!
or at least since synchronized gears came out

Quote:
idk what the hell double clutching is. i try to rev match my gears when downshifting, if that's double clutchin,i guess i do it alot then. lol.
nope. double clutching is where you push the clutch, shift to neutral, release the clutch so the engine and input shaft match speeds, then push the clutch, select gear, and release the clutch.

this is really only needed in non-synchronized transmissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susantroy1 View Post
I have always used engine braking on all my bikes and vehicles to assist in slowing down. I've never had a tranny problems and my brakes last well into the 40-70k range. Am I not understanding here?? is nemosgt saying that engine braking is bad on a tranny?? anybody care to clear this up???
it's just a littler harder on the transmission and clutch. the purpose of downshifting is to either be able to accelerate out of the lower gear or assist the brakes when you have a heavier load. if you're just rolling up to a stop sign, there's no need to downshift. just use the brakes - that's what they're made for

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Designs View Post
I feel the same way and experience the same jerkiness.

For one I am not used to this driveline and I have other cars that Rev to 9000RPM and I can downshift at 4-5k RPM safely because the engines RPM will spike higher and not be a huge deal. The Camaro is a not happy doing that.

I tried downshifting on the Camro from 3-4500 RPM and it locks the rear up and skids dangerously. Going from 4th to 3rd, or 3rd to 2nd and were talking speed below 60MPH

Driving this car is an entirely new experience because its so unrefined compared to other cars I have and owned. I do hope things get better.
consider, these engines ain't designed to rev as high as many smaller engines or even european or japanese engines. yes, it does take some time to get used to, but once you find the sweet spots for each gear, you'll be shifting like a madman!
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:34 AM   #14
klatterblast

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ssrs blk.
i read this and was thinking say your rounding out a turn on a track or entrance ramp and you start to accelerate out the turn and your in a higher gear and your in the lower rpms where your not quite in the power band yet then you slip your clutch and give it gas to get the rpms up into the power band then feather the clutch out and haul ass ; well i thought that was double clutching . been racing dirt bikes & cars forever it gets your back tires spinning good in a higher gear so you can accelerate longer in one gear instead of having to shift so much, every second counts.
klatterblast is offline   Reply With Quote