Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 11:26 PM   #29
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
Dragon. The thread where the info is, is not public. Try looking in the other section. It's also in PM's. I think I copied and pasted them there.

Sadly, they won't believe us, unless we show it comes from a reputable source. You and I both know we can't do that. (or shouldn't)
I believe you.
warn 145:159 ban
Old 01-27-2010, 11:33 PM   #30
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I believe you.

The truth is that, people have to understand that you have to pay to play. If you do anything to a car, that causes it to malfunction, it is your responsibility to take care of the cost to repair it.

A tune changes the parameters in which a car operates. Therefore, it can cause something to go wrong with your engine. If you want to get a tune, I would suggest using a reputable Tuner. Tuner being the key word. Not all speed shops have tuners that know what they are doing. If something happens to your car. Take it to your dealer and hope that it wasn't the tune that hurt it.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:39 PM   #31
The_Blur

Here's a question: can they tell if you remove the ECM and replace it for warranty work?
Old 01-27-2010, 11:48 PM   #32
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Quote:
Here's a question: can they tell if you remove the ECM and replace it for warranty work?
If you have a different ECM than from factory, yes.

ECM's are tracked from factory and they know which serial number goes into which VIN on cars.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:57 PM   #33
The_Blur

Quote:
If you have a different ECM than from factory, yes.

ECM's are tracked from factory and they know which serial number goes into which VIN on cars.
Follow the scenario.

John's car comes with ECM 1. John buys ECM 2.

John gets headers, exhaust, intake, and a tune on ECM 2. ECM 1 sits in the garage.

John needs to visit the dealer. John reinstalls ECM 1. ECM 2 sits in the garage.

ECM 1 came with the car. The dealer scans ECM 1. Will the dealer detect a problem with ECM 1 or the potentially warranty-voiding presence of ECM 2?
Old 01-28-2010, 12:02 AM   #34
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Quote:
Follow the scenario.

John's car comes with ECM 1. John buys ECM 2.

John gets headers, exhaust, intake, and a tune on ECM 2. ECM 1 sits in the garage.

John needs to visit the dealer. John reinstalls ECM 1. ECM 2 sits in the garage.

ECM 1 came with the car. The dealer scans ECM 1. Will the dealer detect a problem with ECM 1 or the potentially warranty-voiding presence of ECM 2?
I've been asked this before and don't know how to fully explain since I myself am not an expert in this. But the way ot was explained to me made sense. Apperantly the ECM keeps a small portion that tracks the Oil Life System. Although, some would suggest that, it isn't the case. It plays a very small part in the OLS, but however small, it is there.
This means, that if you switch back and forth between ECM, the small part that plays a role in this will be off from the actual car milage displayed in the OLS.

Don't know if I explained that right. I always get flamed fortrying to explain this. But I'm not the GM engineer. That's just what I was told by one.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:04 AM   #35
The_Blur

Quote:
I've been asked this before and don't know how to fully explain since I myself am not an expert in this. But the way ot was explained to me made sense. Apperantly the ECM keeps a small portion that tracks the Oil Life System. Although, some would suggest that, it isn't the case. It plays a very small part in the OLS, but however small, it is there.
This means, that if you switch back and forth between ECM, the small part that plays a role in this will be off from the actual car milage displayed in the OLS.

Don't know if I explained that right. I always get flamed fortrying to explain this. But I'm not the GM engineer. That's just what I was told by one.
Basically, your oil condition will have changed since the removal, so there will be some sort of problem in between. Do you think simply resetting the oil section of the DIC before removing and after reinstalling the original ECM might fix this? This way, both would read 100% oil life.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:07 AM   #36
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Quote:
Basically, your oil condition will have changed since the removal, so there will be some sort of problem in between. Do you think simply resetting the oil section of the DIC before removing and after reinstalling the original ECM might fix this? This way, both would read 100% oil life.

Possibly, possibly not, I don't know. If it were me, I just wouldn't do it unless I knew I could pay the damage.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:30 AM   #37
duraclean
Ford

Drives: inf Orange Gray Stripe 2SS/RS
what does a tue do for the car? Im dumb about that stuff
Old 01-28-2010, 12:31 AM   #38
duraclean
Ford

Drives: inf Orange Gray Stripe 2SS/RS
sorry...a tune???
Old 01-28-2010, 12:35 AM   #39
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by duraclean View Post
what does a tue do for the car? Im dumb about that stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by duraclean View Post
sorry...a tune???
You're basically reprogramming the computer that monitors all of your sensors and the functions of your car. If you do it correctly, the car is faster and more efficient. If you do it incorrectly, stuff breaks.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:21 AM   #40
06MonteSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by turleylox View Post
This might be a little off topic but I purchased one of these Diablo tuners but I haven't installed it yet. I was waiting to get everything done at once. My question is, if I add Long tubes, Exhaust & Cold Air Intake will the Diablo be able to tune this the way I want it? Or will I have to still take it somewhere and have it profesionally tuned by someone that knows what their doing. Unlike me lol.
yes, you will be able to do some data logging and get your fueling and everything dialed in with the diablo tuner...

there are write-ups in the diablo GM forum that tells you how to do it...

for the LT headers tho, you'll need to get a quick custom tune whipped up in order to disable the rear O2 trouble codes... any diablosport CMR tune like myself or Ted Jannetty can do that for ya...

you can also have a more complete custom tune done (all via email and data logs) by either of us as well.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:46 AM   #41
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by eynigush View Post
Tuning from Trifecta in Washington is "guaranteed" to not be detectable. The software in your computer gets rewritten instead reflashed. The guy that does it is a former software writer from Microsoft. Im on the list for a group buy and I believe it's $240 plus shipping if you choose to do remote tuning via EZ flash cable. I have a few friends at a local dealership and will have them check my ECM after the tuning. I'll start a thread afterwards with the results as well as dyno numbers for comparison.

--Eddie
And what does their "guarantee" say? Is it in writing and if so, what do they cover. My guess is IF they have said "guarantee" it just means they will send you your $240 back. That will go a real long way to paying for a denied motor claim....

I personally think it would be much more ethical to just put a disclaimer on the program package that says "Use of this product MAY void your powertrain warranty" and that makes anything a tuner does kosher in my book. Then it becomes just like cigarettes or alchohol...we know there are risks in using either product...and we decide whether we want to take the risk or not.

It is guarantees that really don't mean anything (not saying Trifecta's is this way...just a statement) that really irk me. It's like the roadside sign advertising a $20/month healthcare plan...sure it's a "healthcare plan" but try and find someone to honor it!
Old 01-28-2010, 08:49 AM   #42
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:

Thank you and dragoneye for trying to open people's eyes to reality. You have to pay to play and if you modify your car, you shouldn't expect me or any other GM owner to pay for the repairs related to your modified item. In reality, that is what happens.

Closed Thread