Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #15
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS,6 Speed,NPP Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJim56 View Post
I hear they can be tricky, bet he did a dry install.....
I saw his using some liquid but very very little of it. Do you guys think I should contact my bank and ask for them to stop the $125 I paid them to install the stripes and then go somewhere else and have them installed because the more I look at them the worse they look, at the top of the hood the space between the stripes is 3.5inches, at the bottom its 3 inches. and after looking at the trunk stripes again there is a big hair underneath the stripe and you can really see it....
Muscle Car Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #16
Zip3151

Drives: Red Camaro Rs 2010
Had the same problems. The guy never got it right. Lied about the air bubbles. Clamed it was the product... Purchased two sets of stripes and waisted my time. Do yourself a favor and have them painted on. Some dealer do not even put stripes on, they send the car to a graphics shop and then mark it up. No daily dusting of the stripes. No air bubbles. No wrinkles.... Paint em....
Zip3151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #17
Goo

Drives: Cayman S
bubbles are not air bubbles... they are/should be from the application process and the reason the go away is the water/solution goes away.

He should have been using a lot of the solution.

As for the wrinkle, is it a wrinkle or a crease? creases will never come out. Either way that should have been handled by the installer before leaving.

If you are an perfectionist I'd suggest installing them yourself, but it may end up costing more...
Goo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #18
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Man, that sucks! If they are air bubbles, they should come out with some heat or time. For the wrinkles, they may be there permanently. I would definitely be complaining to them, but I don't think you can stop payment on the CC for poor installation. They technically did perform the service you hired them to do, they just didn't do it well.

If you want strips that are easy to install, check out the 1080 vinyl from 3M. It's the vinyl my stripes are made from and they are virtually impossible to wrinkle or crease, and if you do it comes right out. The vinyl even breathes so there are no air bubbles. Check out the video in this thread:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193372
Old 01-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #19
Muscle Car Memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goo View Post
bubbles are not air bubbles... they are/should be from the application process and the reason the go away is the water/solution goes away.

He should have been using a lot of the solution.

As for the wrinkle, is it a wrinkle or a crease? creases will never come out. Either way that should have been handled by the installer before leaving.

If you are an perfectionist I'd suggest installing them yourself, but it may end up costing more...
I would say its a crease it sticks up so much you can wiggle it with your finger. I am a perfectionist but i also know nothing is perfect but I also know a bad install job when I see it and im not happy especially after dropping $125 on the install.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #20
Muscle Car Memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deke736 View Post
Man, that sucks! If they are air bubbles, they should come out with some heat or time. For the wrinkles, they may be there permanently. I would definitely be complaining to them, but I don't think you can stop payment on the CC for poor installation. They technically did perform the service you hired them to do, they just didn't do it well.

If you want strips that are easy to install, check out the 1080 vinyl from 3M. It's the vinyl my stripes are made from and they are virtually impossible to wrinkle or crease, and if you do it comes right out. The vinyl even breathes so there are no air bubbles. Check out the video in this thread:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193372
what do you get for a set of Orange Rally's using the 1080 3M Vinyl?
Old 01-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #21
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Memories View Post
what do you get for a set of Orange Rally's using the 1080 3M Vinyl?
PM SSTG, he can take care of you.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:25 AM   #22
timbyrd6

Drives: 2013 Camaro LS
Take it back man! ASAP!
timbyrd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #23
Muscle Car Memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbyrd6 View Post
Take it back man! ASAP!
I called them today, they wont redo it for free and replace the stripes they screwed up. They just refunded the $125 they charged me for the install, now I have to buy new stripes AGAIN but I consider myself lucky because they would have messed them up again.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #24
Blue17CamaroZL1
650HP soon to come

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Can you and a friend just do it yourselves?

Easiest way to do is take a spray bottle, fill it with warm water, put in just a few drops of johnsons baby shampoo.

Use this solution and you spray the shit out of the surface and the sticky part of the stripes.

place the stripes where you want to install them and while it's still wet, you can actually move the vinyl right to the exact spot and then just squeegee out the air and water under neath.

Give it about 45 minutes to dry and then remove the paper covering, on a sharp angle, very slowly.

I put these stripes on by myself:
BEFORE:

AFTER:

Blue17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #25
SumWhite1LE
King of All

Drives: 2014 Summit White Z28 #275
To do the stripes correctly, They have to be applied wet and then a squeegee is used to remove the air bubbles with a soapy solution. After the application you will have some trapped water bubbles due to some left over water under the vinyl. The bubbles can stay there up to two weeks depending on the temperature the vehicle is in and how well the installer is....

Vinyl can breathe so provided its only water under the vinyl the trapped water will dissipate and the stripes will smooth out. Look for a auto accessory shop that specializes in pin striping. Now if they creased the vinyl, Then it needs to be pulled off and redone with a new piece. Where are your pictures????
SumWhite1LE is offline   Reply With Quote