Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 09-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #71
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
....more in a hi-po form was shown for the Vette. Not so much for the Z. I was dissapointed.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #72
macalot

Drives: 1969 Z/28 + 2015 Z/28
I kinda agree old school. They really showed the Z in only one turn, shoulda been more. But I did notice that the Z didn't have any tire squeal in that one turn, whereas the vette was squealing in just about every turn. I suspect they weren't pushing the Z at the time the vids were shot. I assume the stock tires on the Z will squeal eventually, right?
macalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #73
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalot View Post
I kinda agree old school. They really showed the Z in only one turn, shoulda been more. But I did notice that the Z didn't have any tire squeal in that one turn, whereas the vette was squealing in just about every turn. I suspect they weren't pushing the Z at the time the vids were shot. I assume the stock tires on the Z will squeal eventually, right?
...perhaps, but there has not been any flat out full boogie footage of the Z/28 displayed yet. And that concerns me right now....
Old 09-10-2013, 12:23 AM   #74
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
The ZL1 ran a 7:41 at The Ring. My best guess for the Z/28 is a 7:36. I have driven that track, and I believe the lighter weight, superb suspension, and killer tires will overcome the power advantage of the ZL1. If they run faster than 7:36, there are a lot of guys who will be trading their GT3s...
Old 09-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #75
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
The ZL1 ran a 7:41 at The Ring. My best guess for the Z/28 is a 7:36. I have driven that track, and I believe the lighter weight, superb suspension, and killer tires will overcome the power advantage of the ZL1. If they run faster than 7:36, there are a lot of guys who will be trading their GT3s...
They haven't stated what the actual power is; just "more than 500" which could be anywhere from 505 to 525 or more. Plus the Z/28 is AT LEAST 300 lbs lighter than the ZL1. I'm guessing they've gotten it below 3,700 lbs. so the power to weight ratio is going to be good. That plus the unsprung rotating weight on the 4 corners of the Z/28 is much less than the ZL1 so it's also going to have the advantage of quicker, smoother acceleration through and out of corners, and better braking so it can go deeper into a corner before having to brake.

It was already 3 seconds faster than the ZL1 at Milford and that was early-on before they'd done all the tweaking the've been doing the past 9 months. It's not going to be just 5 seconds faster on the Ring, it's going to be a LOT faster. That latest video shows it on power and digging hard through those corners; the same corners the Stingray is coasting through trying to hang on while the tires are screaming in protest. The Z/28 is powering through those corners...that thing is FAST.

With the already-admitted 1.05 g's in the corners and 1.5 g's braking, if they can pull off a no-screw-ups hot lap, I bet it cracks the 7:20 mark. I'm guessing 7:19-something. You heard Mark Reuss; they want to build something that the competition can't even touch, so that means not just a little faster, that means track killer faster.

My guess is they're not releasing lap times yet because either Stielow isn't done tweaking, and/or they don't want to give the competition the target numbers they have to beat until the car is close to being released for sale.

They're not going to be able to make enough of these things.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #76
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Doc, just playing Devils advocate here. Will you be disappointed if its only in say the high 720 range or low 730 range? I just cant see how the Z28 is gonna be 22 seconds faster than the ZL1 or be in Z07 range but thats just me. I expect this car to be faster than a lot expect but sub 7:20 to me just seems other worldly fast lol
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #77
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
give that Z28 a air intake and a cam, ditch the cats, and tune it...I'd bet it rolls hard.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #78
Dyk-NO
Trust me I'm a Scientist.

Drives: My wifey ;P
what is the wheel and tire specs for the Z28 again? I believe theyre 19"s

Mods: RotoFab CAI, SW Headers, HiFlo Cats, Borla Atak Catback, Nightfury Cam, Ported Heads,Intake,TB, melling pump, Morosso Oil Separator.
Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #79
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Doc, just playing Devils advocate here. Will you be disappointed if its only in say the high 720 range or low 730 range? I just cant see how the Z28 is gonna be 22 seconds faster than the ZL1 or be in Z07 range but thats just me. I expect this car to be faster than a lot expect but sub 7:20 to me just seems other worldly fast lol
I won't be disappointed at all. I'm actually expecting it to normally be in the 7:20's but if they really snap off a fast lap (which is quite possible) I'm thinking it could just break into the 7:19's. It's all about cornering time and response. Over a course that's as long as the Ring, there's plenty of opportunity for a fast cornering monster to make up time. The response time for the Z/28 of going into, through and out of a corner is going to be quite a bit better than the ZL1, not only due to it's weight but also the increased tire patch, tire type and grip. The n/a engine is also better for using it's power band on a road course. I firmly believe this thing is going to surprise people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyk-NO View Post
what is the wheel and tire specs for the Z28 again? I believe theyre 19"s
19x11 with 60 wear rating Trofeos. Massive sticky tires with a suspension custom tuned specifically for them.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #80
Dyk-NO

19x11 squares? that explains the fender flares. Just love that stance

Mods: RotoFab CAI, SW Headers, HiFlo Cats, Borla Atak Catback, Nightfury Cam, Ported Heads,Intake,TB, melling pump, Morosso Oil Separator.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #81
Dyk-NO

Just got the info on the wheels and tires:

19x11 fronts and 19x11.5 rears
running the first ever Pirelli Trofeos R with 305/30/19 specs

Old 09-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #82
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I won't be disappointed at all. I'm actually expecting it to normally be in the 7:20's but if they really snap off a fast lap (which is quite possible) I'm thinking it could just break into the 7:19's. It's all about cornering time and response. Over a course that's as long as the Ring, there's plenty of opportunity for a fast cornering monster to make up time. The response time for the Z/28 of going into, through and out of a corner is going to be quite a bit better than the ZL1, not only due to it's weight but also the increased tire patch, tire type and grip. The n/a engine is also better for using it's power band on a road course. I firmly believe this thing is going to surprise people.

19x11 with 60 wear rating Trofeos. Massive sticky tires with a suspension custom tuned specifically for them.
See I don't doubt any of the reasons you listed for while it will be faster than the ZL1, but putting in Z07 range when the Z07 weighs at least 500 pounds less? That's what I can't wrap my head around haha
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #83
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerygetter View Post
give that Z28 a air intake and a cam, ditch the cats, and tune it...I'd bet it rolls hard.
It comes with an air intake.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #84
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
The new Porsche HyperCar just ran a 6:57 new record. Amazing!

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...in-under-7min/