Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 10-03-2010, 07:16 PM   #57
CaniacFan

Drives: '10 SS CGM #75,288, '14 Stingray
Holy cow, those are some skills!! Great pics, super end results!!
CaniacFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #58
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Nice custom work.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:12 PM   #59
Sawyer

Drives: '13 5.0
Nice!
Old 10-03-2010, 09:38 PM   #60
overhaulengines

Drives: Red 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosingReality View Post
How much experience do you have with body work like that? Have you ever cut anything else? Just gauging how hard it was....I want the T2 Inserts, and i wanna do them myself.....Did you do anything to prep the area?
hello, well i have been a mechanic for 20+ years, i dont have a lot of car body work experience, but i have used cutters, die grinders and others shop tools for a while, mainly on sheet metal. cutting into $200,000.00 airplanes helps
cleaning wise, alcohol.

thanks

Lupe
overhaulengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #61
LosingReality

Drives: Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by overhaulengines View Post
hello, well i have been a mechanic for 20+ years, i dont have a lot of car body work experience, but i have used cutters, die grinders and others shop tools for a while, mainly on sheet metal. cutting into $200,000.00 airplanes helps
cleaning wise, alcohol.

thanks

Lupe

Cool man! Looks VERY good. By looking at the template pic, it looks like i would be pretty simple.
LosingReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:49 PM   #62
overhaulengines

Quote:
How much experience do you have with body work like that? Have you ever cut anything else? Just gauging how hard it was....I want the T2 Inserts, and i wanna do them myself.....Did you do anything to prep the area?
Quote:
Cool man! Looks VERY good. By looking at the template pic, it looks like i would be pretty simple.
once i laid out the template, i cut it about a 1/4 inch smaller than the template, then as i trimmed it i adjusted it to my liking, the 2nd one i cut a little larger so i could have a little more play, that way i could adjust it to match the first.
if you decide to do it or anyone, send me a pm, i will do my best to help.

Lupe
Old 10-03-2010, 09:58 PM   #63
ACS Composite

Drives: 2010 Camaro
There is no surface prep needed, you are not actually bonding the ports to the bumper but actually to the inner ring. The assembly is holding the bumper between the 2 parts. This was done to eliminate durability issues as the ports are not the same material as the bumper and obviously need this play to make up for material expansion over time.... The price may seem high, but allot of money was spent in development and tooling to get a part easy to install.

Here are a few pics which could help

ACS Composite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:08 PM   #64
GJG

Drives: 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACS Composite View Post
There is no surface prep needed, you are not actually bonding the ports to the bumper but actually to the inner ring. The assembly is holding the bumper between the 2 parts. This was done to eliminate durability issues as the ports are not the same material as the bumper and obviously need this play to make up for material expansion over time.... The price may seem high, but allot of money was spent in development and tooling to get a part easy to install.

Here are a few pics which could help

given the bonding info.....a rear rig/cup that we could mount expanded metal to then bond to the rear of the port would be nice!!!
Old 10-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #65
ACS Composite

Drives: 2010 Camaro
We had something on the first 20-30 sets, there were issues with the durability of the mesh, so we dropped it. And then many did not install it claiming there is no mesh behind the rad grill.

Most mesh i tested (black e coated) would rust under salt spray test. Then we had Stainless, which just does not match. My suggestion is to simply bend the mesh around the inside of the port and use the adhesive supplied with the port kit. That will hold it in place and give you an opportunity to make it custom.
ACS Composite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:23 PM   #66
overhaulengines

the wire mesh sounds like a good idea, i have been looking this weekend at many different LED set up's, i want to install white and red LED's in the scoops, since i have red/white halo lights.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #67
GJG

Drives: 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACS Composite View Post
We had something on the first 20-30 sets, there were issues with the durability of the mesh, so we dropped it. And then many did not install it claiming there is no mesh behind the rad grill.

Most mesh i tested (black e coated) would rust under salt spray test. Then we had Stainless, which just does not match. My suggestion is to simply bend the mesh around the inside of the port and use the adhesive supplied with the port kit. That will hold it in place and give you an opportunity to make it custom.
got any of those pieces that were on the first 20 - 30 left over?
Old 10-03-2010, 10:45 PM   #68
thebrainhart

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM LS3 A6
Very nice, Overhaul, good install!

I like your new stripes too! Thats kinda what I've been planning on doing... do you have any more pics of them?
Some ProCharger, Alky, CompCams, Brian Tooley, Holley, Livernois, K&N, Ridetech, DSS, Kooks, JDP Motorsports, Pfadt, BMR, Prothane, Weld, M&H, Mickey Thompson, RKSport, Elite, Garys, Defenderworx, Anvil, etc.
thebrainhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:50 PM   #69
overhaulengines

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrainhart View Post
Very nice, Overhaul, good install!

I like your new stripes too! Thats kinda what I've been planning on doing... do you have any more pics of them?
thx, click on my signature below, photo shoot and also new clear coat and strips

lupe
Old 10-04-2010, 01:14 AM   #70
SILVER BULLITT

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS MONSTER
i cant wait for mine
HP MONSTER' SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BUILT, LMR CAI, CUSTOM GRIND CAM, CUSTOM BUILT CNC PORTED AND POLISHED HEADS, FAST 102MM INTAKE MANIFOLD,ARH LONG TUBES AND HIGH FLOW CATS, BIGGER INJECTORS, VALVES SPRINGS RETAINERS, MGW SHORT SHIFTER, EIBACH SPRINGS, FACTORY CHROMED WHEELS, BLACKED OUT EMBLEMS, BLACKED OUT ROOF,BLACKED OUT MARKERS, 3.5 INCH ELECTRONIC CUTOUTS, FLOWMASTERS, ZEX WET 150 SHOT, FOR A GRAND TOTAL OF =630 REAR WHEEL TORQUE ,AND 600 REAR WHEEL HORSEPOWER
MY JOURNALhttp://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...02#post2023802 SOON TWIN TURBO SETUP
SILVER BULLITT is offline   Reply With Quote