Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-21-2009, 09:36 PM   #197
LosXC451

Drives: 2010 SS SIM w/ RS
why dont you ask ohter people who have recieved their cars if they have those?
LosXC451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:40 PM   #198
jnutt83@yahoo.com
WannaBe 1LE

Drives: 91 Z71, 2000 Z71, 2010 Camaro
yea I would definatly just remove them I cant even make up a reason why they are on there never even seen them on any race car it must be a mistake.

I ordered mine a month ago any body know when I might see my camaro. I think my car will be 17 thousound vin number?
jnutt83@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:34 PM   #199
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Like I said in my first post, GM should replace these with Brembo's that don't require the weights to keep it from squealing once a viable solution occurs. Technically, wouldn't this be a design flaw straight from Brembo?? I mean the Brembo's have been tested now since we first started seeing pictures of them in the Nurbugring car when they were red. Those lead pieces do add extra wieght to the car that is not necessary as every other manufacturer that uses Brembo's has never needed to do this for an entire line.

As for all of you saying it isn't noticeable, or Who cares...etc.. I personally wouldn't have minded them had we been informed of the problem and the fix before shipment. However the silence is troubling..
Old 04-21-2009, 10:47 PM   #200
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
As for all of you saying it isn't noticeable, or Who cares...etc.. I personally wouldn't have minded them had we been informed of the problem and the fix before shipment. However the silence is troubling..
Relax. They don't wait on us hand and foot with info...be patient. I know of a couple folks who might be able to answer this; and they're "out on business", which also presumably means -- outrageously busy.

Patience.....deep breaths....
Old 04-21-2009, 10:50 PM   #201
GRAHL
workaholic

Drives: 69 SS Lemans Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douge View Post
..adding unsprung weight that effects the suspension ..
LOL!
Old 04-21-2009, 11:36 PM   #202
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
GM needs to get some help when it comes to brakes. My 08 HHR SS doesn't have power brakes until I let it warm up for about a minute. Something to do with there being no pressure in the vacuum lines until the turbo warms up. Either way, I contacted GM customer service and have takin it into the dealer and their fix is to "let it warm up".....LOL. Come on Chevrolet.....
SSOOCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:13 AM   #203
Fast Eddie

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
My first impression was they are heat sinks, but they don't look like aluminum. Can one of the owners rule out aluminum as the material?

To the guy about the SRT, brakes do not need to get up to temp. Typically they warp and what not when they get too hot, slotted rotor fix that but also eat the pads faster, vented is a better route to go, hence more brake dust.

Patiently waiting for an explanation that makes sense (and my camaro)...
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:24 AM   #204
UsedTaHaveA68

Drives: Hyundai Sonata
I didn't feel like reading past the 4th page, so my question is this:

Has anyone tried removing these weights to see if there is a difference? They're not expensive and would be easy to replace. Why don't you just take them off and see if anything changes?
UsedTaHaveA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:28 AM   #205
MTron

Drives: 99 Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhoggard View Post
Maybe I'm crazy, but taking them off when we don't know what they are for sounds like a horrible idea to me...
MTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:13 AM   #206
dayvedayve

Drives: 2006 Chevy Avalanche
Ok my take,

DON"T take them off to see what happens. If they are there to balance then you would have to re-balance them to correct the "problem". Since nobody has seen this before, It is reasonable to believe that nobody would know what steps/machines/test/etc it would take to balance them.

This is of course only if they are there to balance. Best thing to do to those who have a new Camaro with them is just enjoy their awesome new car and wait for the answer from GM or Fbod.

And to GM. Thanks for the Camaro
dayvedayve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:22 AM   #207
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin View Post
I honestly don't think that "joe public" will/would be as patient and forgiving as most of you are.
I don't think Joe Public will notice -- and if he does, he'll assume that it's a designed-in part of the car, not a duct tape fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
My first impression was they are heat sinks, but they don't look like aluminum. Can one of the owners rule out aluminum as the material?
The job of a heat sink is to absorb and radiate heat. Heat sinks have as much surface area as possible.

What's on the Camaro brakes is thick and has little surface area. It can absorb and store heat but it can't radiate heat any better than the caliper already could on its own. It just doesn't add a significant amount of surface area. If they are there for heat at all, they are there as thermal ballast (as I joked earlier in the thread). I can't imagine a reason to need to store heat on the caliper but that's what those can do with heat.

Whatever they are, I'd rather have a Camaro with them than no Camaro. I wish I could have a Camaro. Can someone please buy me a Camaro? Pretty please?
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:24 AM   #208
SNOOK

Drives: 1967 Camaro, 2010 Camaro SS
They are not aluminum, they are regular wheel weights. And there is NO NOTICEABLE PROBLEM with the brakes at all. Made several hard stop from "high speeds" and they performed great. Still love the car and when we get an answer I plan on keeping the car (at least until the convertable comes out)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post

To the guy about the SRT, brakes do not need to get up to temp. Typically they warp and what not when they get too hot, slotted rotor fix that but also eat the pads faster, vented is a better route to go, hence more brake dust.

Patiently waiting for an explanation that makes sense (and my camaro)...
SNOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:26 AM   #209
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Again, this thread was not created by the OP so that it can be a complaint thread. It was created to be a useful discussion thread to get to the bottom of what these weights' purpose may be. Off-topic posts will continue to be deleted.
Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:37 AM   #210
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
With 200+ posts in this thread I'm sure somebody in the know has been here already and just hasn't chimed in.

My call? Just leave them there until we find out why there are there.