Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-25-2010, 10:56 PM   #1
SSMagna
FAST1

Drives: ADM LSX 427 Twin Turbo #1
Rear end gets loose in 3rd gear???

I have a problem with the rear end moving around on me during hard acceleration in 3rd gear. The car actually "sways" back and forth at high RPM but the tires are not breaking loose. I have already replaced the trailing arms and toe rods with HD ones. I spoke to one guy at the fest with 2 cars that were built very similar and one did it and the other didn't. Any ideas?
SSMagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
Slow down..
Old 04-25-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
SSMagna
FAST1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddunerider View Post
Slow down..
Not an option. Second place is the first to lose.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:14 PM   #4
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
that's a new one.don't have the problem,but would like to know the answer myself.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:25 PM   #5
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
I wouldnt call it a problem, I would call it awesome....LOL Just means your delivering power to the rear wheels. What tires are you running? If you aren't running drag radials, this is a must, it will change the car completely. Next step is sway bars as this will stop the swaying as well.
jrpxxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:37 PM   #6
SSMagna
FAST1

It is awesome sometimes but at 100 mph when you almost change lanes it gets a little hairy. I'm running Pirelli Pzero 315 on the rear and I have replaced the sway bars. Sorry I forgot to mention that before. I am going to a drag radial soon but this doesn't feel like a tire issue.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:07 AM   #7
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
The pirelli pzero SUCK as I can speak from using them and went to a drag radial and your car will feel like super glue to the road. When I had pzeros, my car would sway the same way feeling like it was floating from side to side. It is all from tires. I was only saying awesome as a joke, meaning having power is awesome. I agree swaying side to side at 100mph isnt much fun. I think you will be amazed at the difference drag radials make, there is NO comparison. My car is putting out over 1000hp and with pzeros it was a useless car, with drag radials, permanent grin.
jrpxxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:17 AM   #8
SSMagna
FAST1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
The pirelli pzero SUCK as I can speak from using them and went to a drag radial and your car will feel like super glue to the road.
I'll try the new tires and let you know. BTW great setup! I see you have the same addiction as I do! SPEED
Old 04-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #9
E85LSX

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMagna View Post
I have a problem with the rear end moving around on me during hard acceleration in 3rd gear. The car actually "sways" back and forth at high RPM but the tires are not breaking loose. I have already replaced the trailing arms and toe rods with HD ones. I spoke to one guy at the fest with 2 cars that were built very similar and one did it and the other didn't. Any ideas?
That could be the rear subframe moving around, I used to feel it in my car during second gear pulls. I changed the rear subframe bushings, put the pedders inserts in and it went away.

E85LSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #10
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by E85LSX View Post
That could be the rear subframe moving around, I used to feel it in my car during second gear pulls. I changed the rear subframe bushings, put the Pedders inserts in and it went away.
You are spot on. This is what we refer to as rear end step out. The rear IRS is bolted to the monocoque with four bolts through rather large Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH) voided bushes. The overall design results is a rear suspension that performs well and is very quiet. While rear end step out exists, keep in mind that a complete box stock Camaro sizzled around the Nurburing, o it isn't a bad suspension.

One of the goals for the Camaro was to make the interior VERY quiet. Many buyers equate quiet with quality. These are the challenges that an OEM designer has to balance. It is also why Pedders exists. We like to think that the parts we design would be exactly what an OE engineer would have used if they were not constrained by so many contradictory demands. We design for the Enthusiast Daily Driver who is willing to pay more than the budget for OE bushes and will trade off a small increase in cabin noise for a more stable IRS.

There are any number of solution available. The easiest to install are Pedders Sub-Frame Bush Inserts. These are urethane inserts that work WITH the OE rubber bush. There is no need to remove the OE bush, just fill the NVH voids with Pedders EP1200. These are the same bushes that are on the 2010 Indy 500 Camaro Pace cars. It i a traight forward DIY project and very cost effective.

In our opinion, these are the best solution for the majority of Camaro owners. A 2010 Camaro delivers to the new owner as a VERY capable automobile. Sub-Frame Inserts, Radius Bush Inserts, Lowering Coils or Xa Coilovers result in a Camaro more capable than most Camaro drivers. Lowered look, tighter braking, tighter IRS, lower CG -- mot everything a Camaro enthusiast wants while maintaining almost OE ride comfort and cabin noise levels.

Sorry for the long winded post. Allow me to take this back to the OP. If you could tell us a bit more about your driving, what the plans are for your Camaro and your goal for your Camaro upgrades we can make more specific recommendations.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:16 PM   #11
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMagna View Post
I'll try the new tires and let you know. BTW great setup! I see you have the same addiction as I do! SPEED
Same here man... Just found you on the boards, was looking since the fest. I have the same addiction...

I think I feel the same thing you do... I have 607 at the wheels and when i really wrap out 3rd... (cause when i do 2nd i DO get tire spin) but when i take 3rd out it does feel like its drifting a bit.

*sidenote- looks like I may be droping in a 427 LSX soon
Old 04-29-2010, 09:35 PM   #12
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
I was going to post exactly what Pete did, just not as informatively, or as well spoken, lol
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:38 PM   #13
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle.Gilmour View Post
Same here man... Just found you on the boards, was looking since the fest. I have the same addiction...

I think I feel the same thing you do... I have 607 at the wheels and when i really wrap out 3rd... (cause when i do 2nd i DO get tire spin) but when i take 3rd out it does feel like its drifting a bit.

*sidenote- looks like I may be droping in a 427 LSX soon
You sir, are not here to f*ck around.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:57 PM   #14
Kyle.Gilmour
Charter Circle Member

Drives: 427 LSX- with TWINS
Location: Back in Michigan!! Do miss ATX and my Tejas friends
Send a message via AIM to Kyle.Gilmour
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandotron View Post
You sir, are not here to f*ck around.
haha.. well.. it was not in the plans... yet...

but i may or may not have a rod knock from hell in my LS3.. so the only LOGICAL conclusion is the 427