Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest / Pacific Northwest

Old 02-11-2009, 05:40 PM   #15
Codefive

Drives: 1000HP 2010 SSRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Wizard View Post
But not to worry - SEMA and other performance part manufacturers will aggressively fight this with their leagues of lawyers and lobbyists.
Dont count on it!
Where you at the conference this past SEMA when the EPA came in and said basically, "we answer to the president and no one else. If you make ANY changes to a registered "emmissions controlled" vehicle such as air cleaner or exhaust, or modify the PCM in ANY way, you are breaking laws and we have the right to enforce those laws and plan to do so this coming year. (2009)" They have already made examples of a few manufacturers. The manufacturer and the installer are fined $32K for EACH offense and the vehicle owner is fined $1,800. So if you hook up HPTuners to a car and turn off 5 codes .... guess what ... that equals $32K X 5 in fines to you and $1,800 X5 to the owner. HPTuners has re-written thier software to remove liability from them specifically because of this. The EPA has already bankrupted a couple of companies on these grounds. Its only gonna get worse from here. Enjoy it while you can. It may not happen over night and enforcing it will be very hard but over time, Big Brother is gonna take over.
Codefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #16
Codefive

Drives: 1000HP 2010 SSRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
He means in order for the government to track your vehicle and the number of miles you've driven.

The proposed legislation would tax people according to how many miles they drive, and not according to how many gallons of gas you use. The only way to know how many miles someone has gone is to be able to physically know where your car has been.

I can see this idea very quickly being shot down when everyone cries foul about invasion of privacy. This is just about the equivalennt of the government putting an ankle bracelet on every American.

Not gonna happen.
Wanna bet?!?!?
Have you read the Patriot Acts???
Our constitution has become nothing more than a historical document for us to look at behind glass. Since 9-11, we the people have forefitted the majority of our civil liberties, personal privacy being one of the first. What do you think the Dept of Homeland Security is all about???
Wake up and smell the crap piling up outside your front door already.
Codefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:14 PM   #17
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Gilliam Is Against the Bill

good news, heres what Vic Gilliam emailed me in response to this bill

Quote:
Dear Shanden,

Thank you for your email on HB 2186. While I support measures for improving our environment, I am opposing this bill in its current form for a number of reasons including the potential detrimental effects it has on those in the used-parts industry. As Vice Chair of the House Environment and Water Committee, you can be sure that I will do all I can to oppose this bill or amend it to a form that is more acceptable. Your comments are appreciated.

Sincerely,
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote